Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Eh? CT doesn't have a cult following anywhere near the level that FFVII does. They're pretty much equal quality wise, but one is overrated as hell by its fanboys.
    That you don't see how this is 100% subjective is what makes her assume it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    FF7, come at me!
    when this game came out it revolutionized rpg's and their popularity. the gameplay def hasnt stood up to the test of time, but the story is and will always be one of the best rpg tales every told. not the greatest rpg ever, but the one that got people really into them (myself and a few of my friends anyway).

i really hope this was a troll.

oh and SWTOR, so overrated its scary
    Last edited by Djaye; 2013-02-15 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moistmuffins View Post
    Except people aren't saying this. Go through the thread and look at how many people are incredibly hyperbolic in describing things they do and don't like. It's pretty astounding how people can attack something so genuinely then defend something the same way and not see the parallels.
    Oh, misread, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Eh? CT doesn't have a cult following anywhere near the level that FFVII does. They're pretty much equal quality wise, but one is overrated as hell by its fanboys.
    The mere mention of CT sparks people nostalgiaing all over it. Skelington tried it multiple times and couldn't get into it at all. It doesn't live up to its reputation.
    "You sound mad. Actually you sound exactly like most CT fanboys... how dare anyone not think it's the greatest game of all time, inorite?"

Any CoD or Battlefield game, at least for modern games, Golden Eye is one that comes to mind (never cared for it and age has just made it worse), and FF 6 and 7 (don't get me wrong I love them but they are overated).

There are a slue of other games but these are the ones that I think are the biggest offenders.

Deleted
    SWTOR and Fable comes to mind.

Diablo had something huge to live up to and while it is a solid game, it's by no means a very good game.

As a Mass Effect fan, I'll have to say Mass Effect 3 aswell. Again, it had to follow ME2 which isn't easy for any sort of game. It's not that I didn't enjoy playing it and getting to end the long story of Commander Sherperd, but it just wasn't... AS good as ME2 was.

And I realize it's all personal opinions here, but still you guys, Skyrim? I got into Elder Scrolls at Morrowind and loved it. Oblivion was meh and Skyrim is just amazing. If I have to say an Elder Scrolls game here, I'd say Oblivion, hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    when this game came out it revolutionized rpg's and their popularity.
    Their popularity? Maybe. The only other bit of "revolution" was using the better tech for better cutscenes.

the gameplay def hasnt stood up to the test of time, but the story is and will always be one of the best rpg tales every told. not the greatest rpg ever, but the one that got people really into them (myself and a few of my friends anyway).
    I wouldn't rank FF7's story in even the top 5 of Final Fantasy games, let alone "one of the best RPG tales ever told". It's incredibly trite and cliche, and most of the stuff that people rave about was present in the series long before.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    The mere mention of CT sparks people nostalgiaing all over it. Skelington tried it multiple times and couldn't get into it at all. It doesn't live up to its reputation.
    "You sound mad. Actually you sound exactly like most CT fanboys... how dare anyone not think it's the greatest game of all time, inorite?"
    Your attempt kinda falls flat since no one is saying that about CT..... Great game, yes, and certainly gets the nostalgia going for some people. But it isn't the pinnacle of videogame-dom that people will have you believe about FFVII. Hence, overrated while CT is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Oh, misread, sorry.
    No worries Skellington. I generally enjoy your posts as you're pretty well spoken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Any CoD or Battlefield game, at least for modern games, Golden Eye is one that comes to mind (never cared for it and age has just made it worse), and FF 6 and 7 (don't get me wrong I love them but they are overated).
    I'm sure a lot of people who try out highly rated games today, from any of the older systems, are going to find them lacking compared to what we have today. GoldenEye in it's time, along with Ocarina of Time is easily some of the best games of all time, for what they brought to the table.

Final Fantasy also broke a lot of ground, but I've never been a fan of those myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF7 and... god, I can't believe this is about to come out of my mouth (typed out of my fingers?), but, Ocarina of Time.

I love the shit out of both of those games, but seriously, people raise them to the heights of gods or something.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I wouldn't rank FF7's story in even the top 5 of Final Fantasy games, let alone "one of the best RPG tales ever told". It's incredibly trite and cliche, and most of the stuff that people rave about was present in the series long before.
    Agreed on this point. A lot of people praise Final Fantasy for certain elements and they should but the story isn't the strongest suit. I personally find Quintet's Soul Blazer trilogy to tell a much better RPG storyline (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma). Oh, and Golden Sun. That game series is the shizzle.

Can we please get the definition of overrated correctly people. I know there are those of you doing so, but seriously how many times do we need to see someone say, "Oh this game was supposed to live up to this but didn't" etc. That's overhyping a game. If it didn't live up to its predecessor or how good it was supposed to be before it even came out does not make it overrated so please stop using examples like this.

Chrono Trigger
    Super Mario RPG
    Earthbound

Deleted
    Can we please get the definition of overrated correctly people. I know there are those of you doing so, but seriously how many times do we need to see someone say, "Oh this game was supposed to live up to this but didn't" etc. That's overhyping a game. If it didn't live up to what it was supposed to be that does not make it overrated so please stop using examples like this.
    Apples and oranges, it's all a matter of personal taste anyway, which means it'll boil down to a mixture of overhyping and overrating.

Don't be so butthurt and enjoy to show son.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Apples and oranges, it's all a matter of personal taste anyway, which means it'll boil down to a mixture of overhyping and overrating.

Don't be so butthurt and enjoy to show son.
    Not butthurt at all. Opinions are opinions. On the other hand definitions are just that, definitions and are used as descriptors. Using them incorrectly adds nothing to the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not bash other's opinion or call them fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft
    D3
    COD series
    HALO series

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I post my opinion, overrated =/ bad. I enjoyed each and every one of the games I'm about to post.

Final Fantasy 7: I'm happy for its success and am glad it helped bring more attention to RPGs in the west, but it is hardly the best RPG of its generation, nor is it the best Final Fantasy game imo. Great game, but not deserving of the pedestal some people like to place it on.

Planescape Torment: I was sold on the idea that this was one of the best RPGs stories ever. I was left disappointed. Perhaps it was merely a consequence of my outrageous expectations, but I'm not sure that I can agree that this game has some of the best writing ever conceived.

Dragon Age Origins: This is one of my favorite RPGs this gen. With that said, it has many glaring issues that are at times hard to forgive. It was hardly the "coming back" of western RPGs and, looking at it objectively, it's really a 7/10 game. Love it to death, but if I were to give it an honest review that would be about what it's left at.

Portal: It was short, the puzzles weren't too difficult, and the story was nonsensical. If it wasn't for the awesome ending song by Jonathan Coulton, and the "Cake is a lie" meme, I doubt it would be looked at the same way. A charming game, but I haven't played it since I beat it the first time.

FF7 isn't overrated its a time piece. If FF7 is overrated than so is Warcraft 2, Doom, and Half-life. Also, is this only most overrated games of the passed 2 years?

Anyways, if you don't know the answer to this you haven't been playing games that long. The most overrated, overhpyed, piece of trash to ever hit the market. Duke Nukem Forever. Its had like 20 years of hype.

Diakatana was also a huge flop that had tons and tons of hype behind it. I know John Romero doesn't mean shit these days, but when this game was released he was one of the only Rock Stars of the gaming world. This game got sooooo much hype and was a pile of trash.

I will have to toss SWtOR in there, should have been a single player game, and we would be praising the game. D3 was exactly what I expected so I don't consider it overrated. A failure yes, but overrated no.

The reality, Angry Birds is overrated, I played this game as a kid, it was call Breakout or Alleyway.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2013-02-15 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    Not butthurt at all. Opinions are opinions. On the other hand definitions are just that, definitions and are used as descriptors. Using them incorrectly adds nothing to the topic.
    No, our posts add nothing to the topic. Pointing out an overhyped game actually adds to the topic, as it creates discussion and debate. Sure, the thread title says "over rated" but who are we to sit here and say "You can't discuss overhyped games, because that's not the thread title!"

To sit and enforce correct use of definitions and whatnot is just... it's silly. I mean, honestly bro.