Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently dating a girl I've known for almost 10 years now, that I used to work for/with. We had always kind of felt something for one another, but could never do anything about it due to our professional lives. We both left our jobs and have recently moved onto bigger and better things. We randomly messaged each other on Facebook at the same time a few months ago, and have been dating ever since. We truly feel we are the loves of each others life, and want to be married to each other. We definitely don't have to get married, but we want to and she wants my last name.

If you choose to never get married, that's all fine and dandy. Personally I feel it shows true commitment, love, respect, partnership and so much more. I actually plan on asking her in a few weeks after taking her out to a nice dinner.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    Been Married 17 years this year.

1. Me too!
    2. I dont either
    3. My wife pulls her own weight so dunno where you get that concept from

4. I don't worry about someone else dipping into my pot. When you're single you don't get a say so period
    5. I've done the multi-girl thing. Feels SOOOO much relaxed not juggling.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    no good reason to get married these days
    Started by Dydric

I admit I'm a very sexist man
    Started by Dydric

Top 5 things that you hate about the other sex!
    Started by Dydric

I'm surprised you conned any women into going near you... they must have a fairly low self esteem, judging from your recent opinions here.

I personally wouldn't touch you with someone elses.

A good reason to get married might be religious, as a show of commitment and love, or to legally cement your relationship. The fact that you can only see it as an institution for women to try and steal your stuff says it all really.
    First off, I don't know how you think I conned women. I've never conned women for sex. I don't have to. there's no reason for any man to con women for sex when all you have to do is keep your looks up, sexual attraction will get you far with women.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    There is only one reason to ever get married: love. Simple as that. Some people, when they're in love, want to make the ultimate commitment to their partner. That's marriage.

Unfortunately the actual concept has been diluted and bastardized over the years by society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    5. I've done the multi-girl thing. Feels SOOOO much relaxed not juggling.
    I'll agree to this. It's actually very liberating from a sexual point of view to be married. All of the power women used to wield over you pretty much vanishes as if some curse had been lifted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marriage is an outdated system created by people who would die 10 years after saying I do. The only reasons for marriage are financial.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

There is only ever one good reason to get married ... because you both want to
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Except because um, I dunno, you love a person and want to spend the rest of your life with them. What a shocking reason to get married!

LOL.
    This thread reminds me of:

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    If you're willing to sacrifice "me" for "us" then what exactly are you taking issue with that I said?

If you'd read my previous posts you'd see that I was speaking more about the nature of love and that true love will better facilitate a happy marriage, true love being the "us" before "me" thing. In the context of why marriages fail, selfish people are right up at the top of the list.
    You are presenting a false choice. The love between two people can be as deep, true, and rewarding as the love you share with your wife without getting married. When you consider marriage you make a choice, and it behooves you to do cost-benefit analysis. You've outlined the benefits of the relationship and presented them as the benefits of marriage, they aren't, they are benefits of the relationship that can exist with or without marriage. People can do the analysis of their benefit, and conclude marriage is not a good choice for them without being any less in love with their partner than you are with yours, because they are not sundering their relationship by choosing not to get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    It is ACTUALLY about that at all. RicardoZ is right on so many levels. Too many people today are selfish and in for themselves rather than for others.
    Inspite of your desire to sit on a soap box and talk down to "people today" the topic is why get married, which frankly is a choice with potentially ruinous consequences, and I wouldn't at all be surprised, or upset by people taking the time to consider the impact on them personally before making that choice. I know I did, and despite choosing to get married I fully understand and empathize with people who say it does not make sense for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    If a couple that isn't married has a kid and they eventually split, 99 times out of 100 I would say the mother gets the kid no questions asked.
    As opposed to the incredibly good chances a man has of getting custody if they were married, right?

Right?

...Oh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    MMO-c is too liberal for me.
    Here are people having interesting arguments, and then someone has to come in making snide remarks about a political group, and therefore showing what a traditionalist waste of time he is.

Marriage is useless. It's nothing more than an excuse to avoid taxes, get yourself a personal slave if you're a woman or a personal living punching bag if you're a male, and a tool for peer pressure. Its customs are cheesy, fake and boring, and of course your family expects you to make a religious ceremony as well.

It serves no purpose and more and more people are starting to realize this. End of.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-02-18 at 02:53 PM.

everyone should just do what they feel is right and stop talking smack about all the other lifestylechoices... seriously.

if you wanna get married, fine by me but just stop looking down on people who dont - same vice versa, stop judging people who feel like they want to commit the rest of their lifes to the one person that is most important to them.
    you wanna live your life completely asexual? please do! but dont judge people wo change sexpartners on a weekly basis... and so on!

thats the great thing about life and a healthy body, you can do whatever the f* you want, ofc you can also go around and judge people but you need to be prepared to get judged right back in your arrogant little smugface.

have a nice day.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Here are people having interesting arguments, and then someone has to come in making snide remarks about a political group, and therefore showing what a traditionalist waste of time he is.

Marriage is useless. It's nothing more than an excuse to avoid taxes, get yourself a personal slave if you're a woman or a personal living punching bag if you're a male, and a tool for peer pressure. Its customs are cheesy, fake and boring, and of course your family expects you to make a religious ceremony as well.

It serves no purpose and more and more people are starting to realize this. End of.
    its about the lifelong commitment, not to get some kind of use out of it... if you dont get it then stop talking about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Except because um, I dunno, you love a person and want to spend the rest of your life with them. What a shocking reason to get married!

LOL.

Except because um, I dunno, a lot of people who love each other do not get married and somehow are still able to love each other without shoving the state into their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Except because um, I dunno, a lot of people who love each other do not get married and somehow are still able to love each other without shoving the state into their relationship.
    thats a shitty counterargument and you know it. why do you even care if other people get married? do you have some trauma to deal with or what?

your arguments sound like the ones from the gayprotesters who claim that gay people destroy society. same baseless bs right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Because people rush into it.
    and rush out of it..., i mean, there are many people that get divorce with the first problem that comes out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    As opposed to the incredibly good chances a man has of getting custody if they were married, right?

Right?

...Oh.
    Did you not read the rest of my post where I said that? Or did you just want to take something out of context and react to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    its about the lifelong commitment, not to get some kind of use out of it... if you dont get it then stop talking about it.
    Weddings cost money, normally substantial amounts of it. Lifelong commitment isn't contingent upon marriage, nor is marriage a real indicator of lifelong commitment anymore given an even cursory examination of divorce rates. If you are going to spend the money, and you don't regularly spend money throwing huge parties for all your friends and family, you should probably have a reason for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Isn't it ironic how your insult towards him, for being among other things a self-proclaimed sexist, is also extremely misogynistic?
    I insulted him for generalising all women constantly in stupid threads that get locked, I fail to see how me pointing out this, means I'm somehow the bad guy

Just because he happens to be a guy, and me a woman, doesn't make my points invalid or wrong or sexist. Feel free to sift through my threads and find the ones where I bash on men repeatedly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    thats a shitty counterargument and you know it. why do you even care if other people get married? do you have some trauma to deal with or what?

your arguments sound like the ones from the gayprotesters who claim that gay people destroy society. same baseless bs right there.

Yeah. I never claimed such things and it has nothing to do with what i said.

I don't really care that you get married. As long as it doesn't affect me, I don't mind and I apply that rule to everything in life. The problem I have is that other people and even my family pressure me to do it, and will label me a freak until it happens. So as a retaliation, I will criticize it, point out that it's a waste of time until either this silly custom or social pressure towards me and other people cease to exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Weddings cost money, normally substantial amounts of it. Lifelong commitment isn't contingent upon marriage, nor is marriage a real indicator of lifelong commitment anymore given an even cursory examination of divorce rates. If you are going to spend the money, and you don't regularly spend money throwing huge parties for all your friends and family, you should probably have a reason for doing that.
    Marriage doesn't cost nearly any money at all...just get married, done!