Assassins creed lore

So assassin's creed is on sale on steam right now, if i dont buy Brotherhood, Revelations, or Liberation will i be missing out on a lot of the story or no?

Deleted
    Brotherhood and Revelations are in the main plot so I advise you to buy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brotherhood and AC2 are fully isolated from AC1 in story only sharing the main overarching plot going on across all games except AC4. Brotherhood and Revelations are direct sequels to AC2. Unless you feel an absolute need to see how things end id avoid AC3 like the plague though.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-02-23 at 10:08 PM.

thank you friends!

Deleted
    So Assassin's Creed IV is separated in lore from rest?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should get AC2 and Brotherhood simply because they're great games unto their own right. I'd actually say brotherhood is the better of the two...

AC1's storyline has bearing on AC2 and AC2: brotherhood, and picks up in relevance again in AC2: revelations. However, AC1's gameplay is... well, dated, plain and simple.

Assassin's creed 3 is... okay, it's just so much less good than the AC2 series (they removed a LOT of the quality of life stuff and replaced it with a lot of micromanaging) that it's a bit of a let down. Oh, and the ending sucks.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-02-24 at 01:10 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I'm not sure if this was a sarcastic comment lol, but I'll answer anyway.

AC4 is sort of connected to AC3, but you're not missing out in the immediate game if you haven't played AC3.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You should get AC2 and Brotherhood simply because they're great games unto their own right. I'd actually say brotherhood is the better of the two...

AC1's storyline has bearing on AC2 and AC2: brotherhood, and picks up in relevance again in AC2: revelations. However, AC1's gameplay is... well, dated, plain and simple.

Assassin's creed 3 is... okay, it's just so much less good than the AC2 series (they removed a LOT of the quality of life stuff and replaced it with a lot of micromanaging) that it's a bit of a let down. Oh, and the ending sucks.
    i agree with this post.

The "Ezio Audiore" is the best story arc of the franchise IMO. Among them, i prefer the ACB because of the brotherhood mechanic (love raising my arm for a volley of arrow and see all your enemy falling dead, it has recharge time though).

AC3 is sort of concluding the desmond story, but on a cliffhanger. Haven't played ac4 yet.
    Like i always say, i recommend skipping the 1 entirely (because repetitive mechanic may put off some new comers) and start with AC2 and ACB.
    Then, if you are into the story, play AC1 and the reveletion
    Finally finish with AC3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the lore. It went from "war between the Assassin's and the Templar's" to "Aliens did it" really quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i agree with this post.

The "Ezio Audiore" is the best story arc of the franchise IMO. Among them, i prefer the ACB because of the brotherhood mechanic (love raising my arm for a volley of arrow and see all your enemy falling dead, it has recharge time though).

AC3 is sort of concluding the desmond story, but on a cliffhanger. Haven't played ac4 yet.
    Like i always say, i recommend skipping the 1 entirely (because repetitive mechanic may put off some new comers) and start with AC2 and ACB.
    Then, if you are into the story, play AC1 and the reveletion
    Finally finish with AC3.
    AC1's storyline really isn't even that deep... you could have someone sum it up in two sentences easily enough. I'd think that playing AC2 before AC1 would really sap one's enthusiasm to finish 1, simply because 1 is so vastly inferior gameplay-wise. And because of that... I really don't feel there's that big a need to play 1 at all.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the lore. It went from "war between the Assassin's and the Templar's" to "Aliens did it" really quickly.
    But they're not aliens... >.>

OT: AC1 and AC2:Revelations are very closely tied together (Ezio attempts to learn all about Altiar, basically). AC1 is a bit dated in terms of gameplay by now, but it's still fun and if you have a boner for the crusades like I do you'll find it more fun than most people.

AC2 and AC2:Brotherhood are great games in their own rights.

AC3... Honestly, I have not beaten it. I am 6 hours in and still not playing as Connor (you play as Haythan Kenway instead), which just completely detracts any interest. I really want to know the story, but I am nearing a point of refusing to even play the game. AC3 and AC4 are connected, at least through who the main characters are, storywise AC4 holds its own.

Also, AC4 is by far the most fun of the games, though AC1, AC2, AC2:B, and AC2:Rev are all great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Not fully separated i guess but the whole overarching plot about the templar vs assassin war bit involving Desmond Miles comes to its full conclusion in AC3 and the AC4 plot outside the animus is about Abstergo making the next assassin's creed game.

Only one I haven't played is 4, which I'll be getting soon, but you should play the Ezio Trilogy...which is 2 (which I'm guessing you've played), Brotherhood, and Revelations, and AC3 is more or less a conclusion to those, which takes a half step back in terms of combat for some reason despite being a newer game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having played all the titles, I personally fell there isn't much lore behind it. As stated before, it went from Assassin's Vs Templar's to humanoid aliens did it.
    Story wise the Ezio line is the best, with AC coming second, AC4:BF following and AC3 straggling far behind and almost out of sight.
    Game play wise I personally favored the combat and controls of AC, love to chain hidden blade counter attacks. All other titles has a somewhat glitchy feel to it, again with AC3 far far behind the pack.
    But if it's lore you're after, go with the following order; AC, AC2, AC2: Brohood, AC2: Revelations then AC4:BF. Just skip out AC3 and read the story online like wiki or youtube and save the frustrations from playing the bug ridden game.

AC can be very repetitive so sitting out the flags will be recommended. Playing AC2 through to Revelations can feel the game being honed to a high finish. Playing AC4:BF is well, for the sake of being a drunk pirate.
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
    -Desiderius Erasmus

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Pretty much this. AC3 isn't bad. Just kind of a let down after how good the Ezio arc was.

AC3 might have been more interesting if they had let you play as "Awesome British Man" the whole way through, instead of switching to "Boring Indian Kid" a few chapters in.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    also, i don't know if you felt the same, but for me, i felt connor story span over too long a period. there were month, years even between chapters, i didn't like the rythm of the story telling.

Connor was ok character, i didn't dislike him. He didn't have the charism of ezio, but was the young and naive indian trying to do good. There was a disconnect between is young voice and his weathered looks in later chapter.

AC3 introduce nice new element. Parkour flow better, naval warfare was good too.