Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    Warcraft 2 on PS1 exist And Sega Saturn apparently.

And i can never see wow on a console the game is just to big at the moment and classes would be dumbed down so attacks could fit on a controller etc.
    This. Now a game like Guild Wars 2 maybe could make it to consoles, but I don't think WoW ever could.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-21 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Let me just stop you right there a moment.

The Talents have not been dumbed down at all. If anything, they've been made more difficult, because now there is (generally) a choice when picking your talents. Previously, you'd visit a website that told you what to pick, and you'd use that for two years without ever opening up your talents again.

The new system is much more dynamic, has a lot more choice involved and I change my talents more in a single week, then I had over the entire 8 years of playing World of Warcraft...
    If you believe every word that comes out of Blizzard. But for those who think, they see the situation clearly. Abilities in the talent tree mostly became skills, that we get free and spontaneously when we level. The vestigial talent tree often has one choice per tier for each spec for hybrids. For other classes, it has equally non-consequential, trivial choices. Out of three choices maybe one is a tiny bit better. Yet that still leads to cookie cutter specs, that are likely to be few percent better than other specs. Nothing changed in terms of cookie cutter specs, but we lost the choice of putting points in the talent tree, especially when we level. No more fun leveling specs, but everything is done by the software and we are delivered abilities, chosen by Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    Warcraft 2 on PS1 exist And Sega Saturn apparently.

And i can never see wow on a console the game is just to big at the moment and classes would be dumbed down so attacks could fit on a controller etc.
    He meant world of warcraft, also blizzard has stated a million times over WoW will not be on consoles.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

No.

WoW will never be a console game. Simply put, consoles don't have enough (friendly) options for keybinds, and communication on a console is generally unfriendly; it requires (or even demands) voice chat for practically everything.
    An MMORPG like WoW will never be suitable for consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    By the way with the current system you switch talents more than you ever did with the 31-41-51 point talent trees.
    ...because you dont have to travel to a class trainer anymore to change talent points.

Wanted to make sure you do not mislead people into thinking that changing talent points more now has anything to do with the new dumbed down talent system..

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    If you believe every word that comes out of Blizzard. But for those who think, they see the situation clearly. Abilities in the talent tree mostly became skills, that we get free and spontaneously when we level. The vestigial talent tree often has one choice per tier for each spec for hybrids. For other classes, it has equally non-consequential, trivial choices. Out of three choices maybe one is a tiny bit better. Yet that still leads to cookie cutter specs, that are likely to be few percent better than other specs. Nothing changed in terms of cookie cutter specs, but we lost the choice of putting points in the talent tree, especially when we level. No more fun leveling specs, but everything is done by the software and we are delivered abilities, chosen by Blizzard.
    So Blizzard removed the choice of looking up a cookie cutter spec and the danger of accidentally putting points in the wrong place, and replaced it with baked-in abilities that people would've chose anyways? I get how that's "doing the work for you," but the current talent system actually provides choices. I'm not saying the system is perfect (some classes need a lot of work), but it's tons better than the old system. The only things I lament about the loss of the original talent system are hybrid builds and actually feeling like I got something every time I leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Oboloz View Post
    This. Now a game like Guild Wars 2 maybe could make it to consoles, but I don't think WoW ever could.

Infracted
    He was infracted for saying Guild Wars 2 or a similar game could better be translated to a console than a game like WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't understand why I was infracted, I was in no means poking at Guild Wars 2 (Heck, I still play it.)

Anyways, I really don't see how a MMO could work on a console. Has there ever been such a thing?

If you believe every word that comes out of Blizzard. But for those who think, they see the situation clearly. Abilities in the talent tree mostly became skills, that we get free and spontaneously when we level.
    When 99.999% of the people picked that ability in a talent tree, why wouldn't it make sense to just make it a core ability? Just to appease the 0.001% that want to be special snowflakes that play sub-par?

Many of the current talent choices give you quite close results. Yes, there is always something that is a bit more optimal to take. But not game breakers.

In the previous trees, if you missed the real core talents, you would fail miserably. Some abilities really should not be optional.

While I see things from your perspective on this, I like the new talent trees better.

Example of a Ps3 controller setup. Square to interact with NPCs, X to autoattack, O to cancel, triangle to open up your menu options. D-pad cycles through spells left and right to choose a spell on your left or right, and up/down to move to action bars above and below with R2 using abilities. R1 to target nearest mob, hold it for .5 seconds to choose your target by moving the left analog stick with R1 held down. L1 to target yourself and party/raid members, same hold function as R1 but only targets friendlies. L2 enables voice chat when held down, and the analog sticks move your character and your field of view. Honestly, it wouldn't be that much of a pain in the ass. Also, they could have an option to enable USB or Wireless keyboard function if you desire. There could also be a quick bar on the side with "panic" abilities that you press R3 to use and the spell buttons cycle through that, then press R3 to close it.

Don't understand why I was infracted, I was in no means poking at Guild Wars 2 (Heck, I still play it.)

Anyways, I really don't see how a MMO could work on a console. Has there ever been such a thing?
    Same, I play it too. Awesome game.

Lot of great ideas at work in that title, Blizzard would do well to learn a few things from how they've handled some MMO aspects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle33 View Post
    Example of a Ps3 controller setup. Square to interact with NPCs, X to autoattack, O to cancel, triangle to open up your menu options. D-pad cycles through spells left and right to choose a spell on your left or right, and up/down to move to action bars above and below with R2 using abilities. R1 to target nearest mob, hold it for .5 seconds to choose your target by moving the left analog stick with R1 held down. L1 to target yourself and party/raid members, same hold function as R1 but only targets friendlies. L2 enables voice chat when held down, and the analog sticks move your character and your field of view. Honestly, it wouldn't be that much of a pain in the ass. Also, they could have an option to enable USB or Wireless keyboard function if you desire. There could also be a quick bar on the side with "panic" abilities that you press R3 to use and the spell buttons cycle through that, then press R3 to close it.
    PvP, for instance, will require considerably faster response time than that. Nearly instant. Can you make your enemy sit and wait while you thumb through your cooldowns until you find the right one?

A console just can't cut it for what you need to do in PvP or PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Vokal View Post
    Blizzard would do well to learn a few things from how they've handled some MMO aspects.
    Blizzard would do well to learn from a lot of the other MMOs out there right now. Many other games have done things better than WoW does, regardless of what the sales and sub numbers say.

Deleted
    Yeah, let me just scroll through my Warlock's ability menu to find Agony in the space of a GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    PvP, for instance, will require considerably faster response time than that. Nearly instant. Can you make your enemy sit and wait while you thumb through your cooldowns until you find the right one?

A console just can't cut it for what you need to do in PvP or PvE.

You would just have to be smart about where you placed your abilities, it really isn't that hard of a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    So Blizzard removed the choice of looking up a cookie cutter spec and the danger of accidentally putting points in the wrong place, and replaced it with baked-in abilities that people would've chose anyways? I get how that's "doing the work for you," but the current talent system actually provides choices. I'm not saying the system is perfect (some classes need a lot of work), but it's tons better than the old system. The only things I lament about the loss of the original talent system are hybrid builds and actually feeling like I got something every time I leveled.
    People still look up cookie cutter specs. That has not changed.

For leveling, I did not look up a cookie cutter spec. I picked my talents by reading the explanation and deciding which one suits my playstyle and complements my other talents. Now, that part is gone.

We get fewer abilities as some were removed throughout the years.

When we get the same abilities, most of them are delivered on the spot, for free, as skills when we ding a new level.

The new system doesn't bring anything better than the old system in terms of cookie cutter specs, but it sure takes away the choice and freedom from leveling specs.

Everquest Online Adventures was on the Ps2, was an amazing game. The world was completely seamless with the only loading screens being from portals, and it was massive. Was released in 2003 and closed in 2012. Nine years is an amazing run for a game, let alone an MMO on the Ps2.

I doubt that consoles could support WoW or Starcraft for a number of reasons mainly being, graphics, controls, macros/keybinds etc. just wasn't designed for console in mind. However I do kind of think that Diablo 3 was in some way designed for consoles and I can see it working out I'm just not sure how the psn/battlenet transaction will work out. I am just scared that Blizzard will leave its PC players in the dark at some point.

You would just have to be smart about where you placed your abilities, it really isn't that hard of a concept.
    The response time required, even with a setup perfectly optimized for speed, would still be beyond the capabilities of most normal human beings.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.