New Shuffle, etc. Uptime addon

Hi all, just posting a quick note to let any interested brewmasters know that I just released an early preview/alpha version of the active mitigation tracking addon I've been working on. It's on Curse, called ActiveStats. Unfortunately can't give the link since I just registered, but it'll show in their search field or via the updater.

It tracks (for Monks) Shuffle, Elusive Brew (the actual effect aura , not the stacking aura), and Guard.

I was tired of going to World of Logs to try to see my Shuffle (and other ability) uptime, and thought there should be a better way to track it anyway. Fundamentally, I was less interested in the amount of time shuffle was up divided by the amount of time in the fight than how often was shuffle up when I actually needed it, i.e. something tried to damage me. Same goes for most active mitigation abilities of most of the tank classes (with a few exceptions)

My eventual goal is to generalize the stat tracking such that I can add uptime tracking as a percentage of total combat time (for those few exceptions ) as well as easily add additional auras to track for things like on use trinkets, etc. (or any trinket - but am most concerned with things I actively am making the choice to do or not at any given point in the fight, vs. just trinket or enchant prods).

So there you go. It's an early release, I'll warn again. But it's a start, and I've been finding it useful, so thought a few of you brave souls might too. It has defaults for Monk, DK, Druid, Warrior, and Paladin, but thought I'd announce it here since it was my Brewmaster that spurred me to write it in the first place, and is what I use it with the most.
    I'm interested in feedback (keeping in mind it's early state). Be gentle, but let me know what else you'd like to see, change, or not see

Thanks all
    Mushoepi (aka Tokotsi, Cynaei, Cynaria, etc.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it tracks like my Uptime addon it would better if you don't limit it to what it can track but make it so anyone can track anything buff or debuff cast by themselves or other just by adding a new spell/item id to track.

Activestats
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

This is pretty interesting because I am working on the same thing. Just started this 3 days ago but I am also doing a count for PB, when I purify listing the amount of damage per tick, overall damage, heavy/moderate/light, my current health pool at the time, % of said health pool, and of course totals at the end of an encounter. Kind of a like a skada for PB if you will. Additionally, tracking all of our cooldowns, etc to give a better idea of how I am doing defensively.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Requital, what is the name of your addon and where can I get it? I'd not have started,this is I had seen something else that did what I wanted. The intent is to have a config screen to add auras by name or spell id, as well as choose what stat method to use to track them at a user level. At a dev level the intent is to have the stat section be modular enough to easily roll a new way to track something if the default couple methods don't cover it. Being that this is just an initial alpha, none of that is in there, though its trivial to add auras in the lua. The readme files give more detail, but bottom line is that I planned it to handle general purpose aura and event tracking, without trying to become something too specific or at the level of recount or skada.

Gynshon, that aspect re: purifying brew details sounds great. I'd wanted to do some of that (just number of purifies and calculated amount purified - you thought about a lot more), but it didn't fit as well into the first pass as the rest, and I thought about maybe doing it as a patch to brewmaster tao instead, or just waiting till i had spent more time looking at how to add things into recount (I haven't personally used skada or looked at its code yet). I was concerned about too much special casing and wasn't sure whether it should be part of a "simple" stat tracker or something built into a monk specific addon, but at least a basic count and some stats ought to be able to be added as a stat method module easily enough.

However, I only started any of this because I couldn't find the tools I wanted. If I find some other addon or set of addons that does what I'm wanting, then I'd happily just use them, or offer my assistance in developing, testing, whatever. I've learned a lot just from what I've already done, and there's always other things to work on. While I welcome addon feedback, I just as much welcome ways in which I can do this stuff with someone else's work

gonna be honest. if there isn't any picture of it on curse, or someone REALLY stated this is awesome, i dont even think of downloading to try it out. so please slap up a pic of it. i think many ppl are thinking like me
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    This is pretty interesting because I am working on the same thing. Just started this 3 days ago but I am also doing a count for PB, when I purify listing the amount of damage per tick, overall damage, heavy/moderate/light, my current health pool at the time, % of said health pool, and of course totals at the end of an encounter. Kind of a like a skada for PB if you will. Additionally, tracking all of our cooldowns, etc to give a better idea of how I am doing defensively.
    Sounds very interresting and i will look forward to see it

Well, like you Tokotski, I was tired of looking at World of Logs and doing manual counts of Purifying Brew and matching it with how much stagger damage I was taking and trying to make determinations of whether or not I used it at appropriate times. It really was pretty annoying because it isn't calculated anywhere how much damage we prevented by using Purifying Brew.

Yes plz, gief now.

Or in more civilised speech: oh my, that sounds like a wonderful idea! Please do let us know if/when it is available, I would love to give it a whirl!

Gynshon, are you doing the other stuff too (general aura uptime stats in with at least a per hit method of tracking, and hopefully an expandable framework for other methods, with duration being the next obvious one)? If so, how close are you to showing something?

I wouldn't mind either stopping or combining efforts if we are trying to accomplish the same thing (same goes for any other dev out there!) Otherwise, I'll keep going, but do my best not to spend time duplicating similar but differently focused efforts.

Kittycovox - thanks for the feedback. I added the one screenshot I had already made, and will grab more from my other tanks tonight.

Requital - I found your addon, Uptime. It does appear to have a lot of similarities. I had actually looked at it's Curse page briefly prior to starting this one, but didn't actually download and give it a shot because it hadn't been updated in a while and was marked as supporting 4.3, and mainly because it looked like it didn't do the per damage event type tracking I was going after.

That was probably a premature decision. I probably should have looked at the code to see if it made more sense to offer an additional option on tracking method vs. start from scratch since it's obviously further along (has a config screen already ) and already exists. Not sure what to do now - Is it still an active project? If so, are you interested in adding an option to track per damage event vs. just percentage of fight time? If not, what if a patch was provided? Thanks for your feedback and the heads-up about your addon, regardless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokotsi View Post
    Requital, what is the name of your addon and where can I get it? I'd not have started,this is I had seen something else that did what I wanted. The intent is to have a config screen to add auras by name or spell id, as well as choose what stat method to use to track them at a user level. At a dev level the intent is to have the stat section be modular enough to easily roll a new way to track something if the default couple methods don't cover it. Being that this is just an initial alpha, none of that is in there, though its trivial to add auras in the lua. The readme files give more detail, but bottom line is that I planned it to handle general purpose aura and event tracking, without trying to become something too specific or at the level of recount or skada.

Gynshon, that aspect re: purifying brew details sounds great. I'd wanted to do some of that (just number of purifies and calculated amount purified - you thought about a lot more), but it didn't fit as well into the first pass as the rest, and I thought about maybe doing it as a patch to brewmaster tao instead, or just waiting till i had spent more time looking at how to add things into recount (I haven't personally used skada or looked at its code yet). I was concerned about too much special casing and wasn't sure whether it should be part of a "simple" stat tracker or something built into a monk specific addon, but at least a basic count and some stats ought to be able to be added as a stat method module easily enough.

However, I only started any of this because I couldn't find the tools I wanted. If I find some other addon or set of addons that does what I'm wanting, then I'd happily just use them, or offer my assistance in developing, testing, whatever. I've learned a lot just from what I've already done, and there's always other things to work on. While I welcome addon feedback, I just as much welcome ways in which I can do this stuff with someone else's work
    Mine is right here Uptime, This is how it looks for the configuration side of things. The biggest issue is I haven't done anything to it for MoP so I probably need to take a look at it and update it again. Raiding & other addon development has left this on the side mainly because I wasn't playing a class I needed to track anything really.

I will take a look at it tonight, If you have some ideas for it I'm fine with adding you to the author list so you can help me further develop this adding your ideas to it as well. Since the foundation is already created and it really just needs a little work like screen clamping and things of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

I just started working on mine, so it is nowhere near complete, and will probably be released right around the time of 5.2 would be my guess barring any mishaps.

Deleted
    Awesome thread!

Thanks for the work you guys put into this. I already had a look at ActiveStats and it's a convenient way to track your uptimes. Even thought it's still alpha.

I'll be following this thread to see what improvements you can come up with.

Deleted
    Well, like you Tokotski, I was tired of looking at World of Logs and doing manual counts of Purifying Brew and matching it with how much stagger damage I was taking and trying to make determinations of whether or not I used it at appropriate times. It really was pretty annoying because it isn't calculated anywhere how much damage we prevented by using Purifying Brew.
    Would be very interested in this. Doubtful raid leaders are annoying. Having some more numbers for them makes life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Would be very interested in this. Doubtful raid leaders are annoying. Having some more numbers for them makes life easier.
    I'm glad I never had to deal with this issue. My performance vs our guilds dk on things like h windlord and bladelord, as well as add intensive stuff kept this from ever being an issue. Wind lord isn't even dead, but he will be next week. We went in this week with them not expecting serious attempts on it, because he got gibbed so bad, and ended up putting 2 hours into nearly taking the kill. It was just too bad they couldn't keep dispels up until the end, but we were carrying a poor healer and dps this week, so next week will go better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii View Post
    I'm glad I never had to deal with this issue. My performance vs our guilds dk on things like h windlord and bladelord, as well as add intensive stuff kept this from ever being an issue. Wind lord isn't even dead, but he will be next week. We went in this week with them not expecting serious attempts on it, because he got gibbed so bad, and ended up putting 2 hours into nearly taking the kill. It was just too bad they couldn't keep dispels up until the end, but we were carrying a poor healer and dps this week, so next week will go better.
    If your healers are good, and have 3 of them (assuming 10man) then you can single tank it and make it a joke. CC 1 of each type of add, Burn trappers, burn boss till Recklessness falls, burn menders, burn boss till Recklessness falls, burn blademasters, burn boss, dead. Just have to be on top of cooldowns, and ask for healer cooldowns until the 1st set dies. When the 1st set of adds die, its GG.

It isn't the fact that raid leaders are annoying, it's me wanting to min/max the best I can. I hate when I play poorly, so I am always looking to improve, and one way is to be able to show people that I am doing my job correctly by preventing damage the healers do not need to heal through.

If your healers are good, and have 3 of them (assuming 10man) then you can single tank it and make it a joke. CC 1 of each type of add, Burn trappers, burn boss till Recklessness falls, burn menders, burn boss till Recklessness falls, burn blademasters, burn boss, dead. Just have to be on top of cooldowns, and ask for healer cooldowns until the 1st set dies. When the 1st set of adds die, its GG.

It isn't the fact that raid leaders are annoying, it's me wanting to min/max the best I can. I hate when I play poorly, so I am always looking to improve, and one way is to be able to show people that I am doing my job correctly by preventing damage the healers do not need to heal through.
    I'm on board as well. When we were finishing up normal I found out my shuffle and eb uptimes weren't what I'd like to them, and I'd been working on it since then. I'm all for checking this out if you guys collaborate or have one or the other complete the project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."