Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    burring you head in the sand and ignoring voter fraud doesn't make it not exist

"Melowese Richardson told a local Cincinnati television station that she cast an absentee ballot and then went to the polls too. Richardson told a reporter from WCPO-TV, “Yes, I voted twice. I, after registering thousands of people, certainly wanted my vote to count, so I voted. I voted at the polls.”

Melowese Richardson is now being investigated for also using the names of four other people to cast her vote for President Obama. Richardson pledged she would always fight to make sure Obama was in office and stayed there. “I’ll fight it for Mr. Obama and for Mr. Obama’s right to sit as president of the United States.”

While Richardson’s granddaughter India Richardson confirmed her grandmother voted for her using the absentee ballot and she didn’t think it was a big deal, the election authorities totally disagree. The Secretary of State Husted has requested all 88 of Ohio’s county Board of Elections to have public hearings on any possible voter fraud during the 2012 presidential election. Any cases found to have any merit will be turned over to the prosecutor’s office immediately."

http://theurbandaily.com/2086500/vot...ted-six-times/

this is a women admitting to voter fraud and that is the only reason she got caught. makes you ask how many others also have done exactly what she did but is smart enough not to admit it there for never getting caught but we would never know
    Please explain how requiring ID is going to prevent that kind of fraud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Apparently the concept of constitutional rights isn't as well known as I thought.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 08:22 AM ----------

You mean the state that allows gun licenses as a form of ID but not student IDs? No political agenda there.
    I dont think it's too much to ask, but I'm never inclined to see legislation passed "just because". There isn't sufficient data to suggest that voter fraud is a significant problem. That being said, I wouldn't mind showing ID to vote. Canada requires ID to vote. I need to show ID to get a gun to exercise my constitutional right.

Like I said though, I don't want the government to put up more red tape in our lives,
    especially without a good reason to do so.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

You mean the state that allows gun licenses as a form of ID but not student IDs? No political agenda there.
    That was passed a year before the national election, not a few months. Plenty of time for people to be aware of it and get another form of ID. The reason that Student IDs were disallowed is because it doesn't have an address on it. Concealed Carry licenses (the "gun license" you refer to) does.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Please explain how requiring ID is going to prevent that kind of fraud.
    It won't, that's the point. Voter ID will do shit to most of the voter fraud (albeit still very small in number). Not to mention it disenfranchises more voters than fraud cases it fixes.

Embrace logic and reality. Pretty simple if you ask me. They can continue to be fiscally conservative, but defending loop holes which by definition are ways around the tax code is simply ridiculous. Go back to being the party of the fiscally conservative average guy and stop defending rich people with every decision and word they speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    I live in ohio too and voter fraud accounts for less than 1% of 1% of votes. Please, waste more of our time and money on this... For a party that's worried so damn much about turning into a totalitarian state you sure want to see my ID a hell of a lot...
    that is just the amount that had been caught
    If a police department only gives out 20 jay walking tickets a year does that mean only 20 people jay walked all year?

Apparently the concept of constitutional rights isn't as well known as I thought.
    Apparently you have states violating the constitution since the laws exist already in select states.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    Apparently you have states violating the constitution since the laws exist already.
    Wouldn't be the first time states have restricted the rights of individuals.

makes you ask how many others also have done exactly what she did but is smart enough not to admit it there for never getting caught but we would never know
    Probably about as many who cast their ballot posthumously. Which is to say: not many at all.

Wouldn't be the first time states have restricted the rights of individuals.
    I don't see how this restricts the right to vote. Part of the right to vote is being a Naturalized or Born citizen, and a resident to the state in which you are voting.

I don't see how this restricts the right to vote.
    Then further debate with you is absolutely pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how this restricts the right to vote. Part of the right to vote is being a Naturalized or Born citizen, and a resident to the state in which you are voting.
    Voter ID laws would disenfranchise millions of voters. You weren't aware of this?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I haven't heard of many cases of someone being killed by a polling machine. It would make for an interesting episode of CSI, though...
    Just think "boondock saints" and replace the toilet with a polling machine. Totally possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    that is just the amount that had been caught
    If a police department only gives out 20 jay walking tickets a year does that mean only 20 people jay walked all year?
    In other words, you can't prove its a problem, but lets spend millions trying to fix it anyway?

Then further debate with you is absolutely pointless.
    Your lack of ability to defend your stance, is not my problem. Any further debate with you is moronic.

Voter ID laws would disenfranchise millions of voters. You weren't aware of this?
    How exactly. Who do you know that doesn't have some sort of photo ID?

10+ Year Old Account
    Listen I don't mean to be rude, but if you're completely unaware of the consequences of creating voter ID laws, then you're probably not ready to have a debate on the issue.

In terms of who is effected the most, its the elderly, minorities, the youth, and the poor. Kinda makes me wonder why Republicans are pushing voter ID laws so hard...

Your lack of ability to defend your stance, is not my problem. Any further debate with you is moronic.
    I shouldn't have to defend something that has been definitively stated throughout the thread and requires little more than common sense to discern.

10+ Year Old Account

Here, I'll provide a bit of an info dump:
    http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...gender-voters/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...ng-minorities/
    http://badgerherald.com/news/2012/09...p#.USzO4jD_mSo

The voter registration debate is ridiculous, all it does is give republicans an excuse for losing and gives democrats a strawman to beat up.

The Republicans may become more relevant when some of the economic policies we have been pursuing result in a financial catastrophe, when one day we wake up and have $25/gallon gasoline and $10 gallons of milk. The only problem is that i'm sure if Republicans were in power they would likely be doing the same thing right now.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Listen I don't mean to be rude, but if you're completely unaware of the consequences of creating voter ID laws, then you're probably not ready to have a debate on the issue.

In terms of who is effected the most, its the elderly, minorities, the youth, and the poor. Kinda makes me wonder why Republicans are pushing voter ID laws so hard...
    Again. I don't see how this affects these groups more then any other group. And please don't arbitrarily lump me into a political party. I don't associate myself with any. Why would Seniors, minorities or youth be unable to obtain a photo ID? Poor, maybe, if they can't afford the $20 for a half decade photo ID.

I shouldn't have to defend something that has been definitively stated throughout the thread and requires little more than common sense to discern.
    It is not, considering you have 17(?) states with photo ID laws.

First Article. People should update their photo ID's if they're making a drastic change like that. Their inability to motivate themselves to do so is not a reason to dismiss a law.
    Second Article just says: "They don't have an ID right now" what's preventing them from getting it other then motivation?
    Essentially these articles either say.
    A) someone hasn't taken the time to update their drivers license.
    B) This group has more people w/o ID's then this group.

My response is: So? How much more effort is needed to register to vote, then is required to get a valid ID?