Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I forgot that the phone operator has more knowledge than a trained nurse. Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Jeeze....imagine that. You'd rather let someone die than break the rules.
    They could get sued AND they could say the reason the lady died was due to the person trying to help her.
    It's fucked up but that how it is. Not saying I agree and also not saying I wouldn't help anyway.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 09:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    It's a retirement home. People go there to die. The family obviously knew the DNR protocol was a part of the facility.
    Its standard practice, so not like you even have a choice if your only option is one of these homes.

Deleted
    Lets see when someone doesn't help to get the old womens handbag back when it gets stolen on the street. "He could sue me for stopping him."

Its just mind boggling why she did not go and find someone who could do the CPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    There must be a reason why this rule was set in the first place.
    Until we know the real reason, there is no way to judge the nurse.

Btw, here in germany it would not be possible to refuse CPR because of some company's rule. You could be sentenced for up to one year in prison.
    If I remember the story correctly from last night, it's not a nursing home. It's just a retirement complex. The CPR rule is there to avoid a lawsuit, which is something we Americans are obsessed about.

Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Lets see when someone doesn't help to get the old womens handbag back when it gets stolen on the street. "He could sue me for stopping him."

Its just mind boggling why she did not go and find someone who could do the CPR.
    No but the criminal could press charges against you for assault if you touched him.

Deleted
    Did the 87 year old woman even want saving? Not saying what she did was OK, but we don't know the full circumstances, and ofc the wishes of the elderly woman involved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombyChan View Post
    I forgot that the phone operator has more knowledge than a trained nurse. Oh wait.
    A trained nurse that stands there and does nothing? What good is that knowledge in that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Jeeze....imagine that. You'd rather let someone die than break the rules.
    Unless I was a wealthy person, I would too.

Too many people getting sued for doing the 'right' thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    No but the criminal could press charges against you for assault if you touched him.
    I know, thats the problem, you are not allowed to help because in the end you are screwed which is fucked up in the first place.

Nontheless I would do it. I had to help with the CPR so I would have helped with the handbag. As Puri said in Germany you have to help, its law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tort law. The nurse did the right thing.

Ms Bayless' daughter, who is also a nurse, says she is satisfied with the care her mother received
    That little comment tells me that if the daughter was a decent person "which i assume she is since she is a nurse" that it was the mothers time to go.
    And even if the daughter wanted to fight it I am sure they signed something somewhere acknowledging they were told about this policy.

On that note I assume I will have a heart attack within the next 15 years and I don't want any medical help, I will pass quietly as nature intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    Ms Bayless' daughter, who is also a nurse, says she is satisfied with the care her mother receive
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were a DNR order considering the direct family of the deceased appears to be fine with what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Anyone thought that perhaps the daughter did not want her mother to be resuscitated?

Honestly, the only person who is having an issue in this story is the phone operator...

It comes down to "is it ethical?" Well if you think it isn't, it isn't. If you think it is, it is. Simple as that really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendou
    Also, Kodo is on fire. Bad Taurens! Fire bad for Kodo! Oh look it's dead now....oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadora View Post
    Blizzard, HOW DARE YOU! How dare you spend precious development time making a new, interesting feature and then turn around and try to make money off said development time. I AM ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING YOU EVER MAKE FOR FREE BECAUSE I BOUGHT THAT GAME THAT ONE TIME.
    Credit goes to Chris Hanel of The Daily Blink for the beautiful avatar picture.

What an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with allowing frivolous lawsuits placed against people with good intentions is that ultimately, people are going to decide that they have to defend themselves first. It's one reason why your medical costs like doctor visits are so high; you're paying for their malpractice insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Not that I'm defending the policy, but I read not long ago that most elderly CPR recipients receive broken ribcages and little else.

I'm not defending the nurse or the policy... I'm just stating there might be a reason for said policy.
    Yea, a broken rib cage is preferable to a bad case of being dead.

We are told continuously that you cannot do anything to harm them if their heart stops so no need to worry about breaking things.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 11:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity_09 View Post

It comes down to "is it ethical?" Well if you think it isn't, it isn't. If you think it is, it is. Simple as that really.
    So ethical is a meaningless statement you say...

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have touched her :S

Someone down the road from me phoned the police because my neighbor shoveled her drive/ path when it snowed and the person slipped and hurt his arm :S

Quote Originally Posted by ZombyChan View Post
    Yeeeeeeaaaaaa-NO.

Doing nothing is the worst possible thing she can do.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The problem with allowing frivolous lawsuits placed against people with good intentions is that ultimately, people are going to decide that they have to defend themselves first. It's one reason why your medical costs like doctor visits are so high; you're paying for their malpractice insurance.
    Oh they should allow them - they just shouldn't be able to win...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Oh they should allow them - they just shouldn't be able to win...
    Laws suits only look at the end results. If your actions broke someones ribs, you just broke their ribs, even if you saved their life.

Her daughter was fine with it, so I'm not seeing what all the outrage is about. It wouldn't surprise me if the lady had a DNR order and the media conveniently left that out to stir up shit with this story.