Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Honestly, I dont play AOE2 for now 7-8 months reguarlary without thinking the graphics could be buffed. So I guess I'm pretty happy for this HD remake. Aslong as they DON'T change SHIT with the gameplay - Not 1 single thing, but maybe some balance issuese, but I cba write thoes down...have a few idea's for things that would be tweaked, having now a quit good knowledge on how to play the game.

I'll consider buying it atleast, having played it for months now, to a point where I can always pwn the PC on hardest, and also playing few coustomes maps, it could be fun with some shinny.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Added some additional info and a FAQ to the OP.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Day 1 buy for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great game but i have to look really hard to see the difference.

Nothing against Age of Empires, but Stronghold developers gave the HD patch away for free.

It's not supposed to be different, just to work way better on current systems. And that's good enough for me.

---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    Nothing against Age of Empires, but Stronghold developers gave the HD patch away for free.
    Ensemble don't exist anymore, these guys aren't the same developers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be better if they just remade it into a 3D engine..... 2D engine its kinda outdated.
    Grafic like AOM would be fine.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    It would be better if they just remade it into a 3D engine..... 2D engine its kinda outdated.
    Grafic like AOM would be fine.
    That would completely ruin the classic gameplay, which in turn would entirely ruin the purpose of this remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    That would completely ruin the classic gameplay, which in turn would entirely ruin the purpose of this remake.
    I asked this question earlier, how on earth would improved graphics alter the gameplay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Graphics look a bit... sucky. I'm enjoying AoE on-line. See no point to AoE ii - but I am sure there is a market for it.

AoE II is still regarded as the best of the series, the HD update just makes it more accessible now with high resolution support. The small revamp to graphics is just icing. This is one of those games where I don't care about the graphics, the gameplay trumps all.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    I asked this question earlier, how on earth would improved graphics alter the gameplay?
    You can't make a 2D-game into 3D without compromising the gameplay. The game plays the way it does because of the engine. You will not be able to get the game to play the exact same way, it's just not possible.

Plus, a lot of people find the outdated graphics to be the charm of the game.

Deleted
    Been time since i played last AoE II but this looks the same and i wont be buying it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    AoE II was my favourite RTS for aaaaages. So many hours played...

I'll probably wait till it's under $10 on sale to buy though.
    This. I´ll likely play it, but I won´t buy ot if it costs more than €15,-

Deleted
    well you get the added benefit of high resolution out of the box and without messing with drivers since aoe II is so old it can behave really nasty on certain gfx cards (i know it doesn't like my gtx 480)

It's still widely considered to be the best Age of-game ever, and among some of the RTS overall as well.
    I didn't know starcraft / dune changed their names to Age of Empires II.

Just looked around and I couldn't find it on the top 10 for most sources, often being beaten by Age of Empires III infact.

Looks good, me and a few friends played this a while back. Was good fun, will give it a try when the HD version comes out

Deleted
    Thats not true , i would rather see this game having aom graphics aswell , would be much better then this HD packet .
    None the less i also think its just a money grab , but i will buy it anyway since its one of my all time favourite games.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Thats not true , i would rather see this game having aom graphics aswell , would be much better then this HD packet .
    None the less i also think its just a money grab , but i will buy it anyway since its one of my all time favourite games.
    I would not buy it if they put it in another engine entirely. I want the classic gameplay and graphics to run on newer systems without having to worry about compatibility.

Oh, and easy multiplayer without having to rely on Hamachi.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I have to agree unfortunately. When it was stated HD, I expected some more realistic units and buildings and terrain. But it's not really any of that. Yea, the textures are a bit more fine, but there's not a huge difference. It still looks exactly like a game made around that time. I loved AoE2, but this just seems to make it just for the cash grab indeed. Unless it's free, then well done to them.

Now if they remade it with actual better textures, then sure, I might be up for it.
    HD is a fucking resolution, not graphics texture quality. People need to get over the whole HD nonsense and realize that this is a direct remake without any enhancements, and the game is just as fun without the need for visual improvements.