Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Player since late vanilla here, used default UI since then up until now and had no problems at all with it. However, when people see my UI on screenshots/stream they complain its messy and hard to look whats going on.

I asked some friends of mine, arena partners and guildies and most of them are using some kind of premade UI like ElvUI or TukUI...

I gave TukUI a try, but I just could not get used to it.

Anyone else playing with default UI with very few addons that experienced the same?
    Also, did you use a default UI and then used Tuk/Elv UI and got used to it, and how long did it take you to get used to it?

Whenever someone makes fun of my using the default UI I just smile and nod, since I know my UI isn't going to fuck up at a bad time or that I'll be unable to play during the interim when a UI gets out of date.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    I'm using the default UI with affdots, recount, DBM, quartz, atlasloot and a bunch of mouseover/assist macros for all my spells so I kinda covered everything I need. However I got a new PC so had to download all addons again but I forgot what kind of addon I used to track procs/internal cooldown CD's.

Would it be viable to use a default UI with addons to cover whats needed? Personally I don't think there are any players in Blood Legion/Method/Paragon who runs default UI.
    With all due respect, with that lot you're not actually using the default UI ;-)

IMO Blizzard generally designs encounters with things like DBM in mind now... Hell, when I came back from a year-long break I went into DS on the same night without addons. Trying to do ultraxion without DBM/BW notifying me was an experience -.-

Deleted
    I don't get it either why people look down on players with the default ui, its pretty much perfect imo especially when you can move stuff around. Addons are overrated, and especially most of the ui addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Default UI, never could get used to anything other than the Default. I'm pretty sure Kungen uses Default UI too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by titcch View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tu9ggeThGQ

Oh, you dont, do you? World first kill and still using default UI.
    Raid frames, meters, weakauras, boss mods = default ui?

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew this Rogue guy who used only recount and DBM as addons... he was one of the best rogues in the world PVE wise... he carried a fucking guild through Black Temple, after he left the guild they couldn't clear more than half the bosses... so yeah I won't be looking down on ppl without 100 addons any time soon... after all they aren't really needed to be good... what's needed is skill not god knows what addon...

I remember one time he was new in a guild at the start of WOTLK I think, he was in questing gear, their rogue class leader in full epics started mocking him what's he doing in the raid and whatnot.... he outdamaged the fucker by 200k dmg on most bosses...
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-03-22 at 01:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Raid frames, meters, weakauras, boss mods = default ui?
    We are talking User Interface here, I didn't hear anybody say "Does anybody play with no boss mods or other modifications?", I assume the OP is asking why people as soon as they see the Blizzard actionbars and frames, look down on other people.

Deleted
    We are talking User Interface here, I didn't hear anybody say "Does anybody play with no boss mods or other modifications?", I assume the OP is asking why people as soon as they see the Blizzard actionbars and frames, look down on other people.
    So title should be : "why do people look down on players without bartender"

Deleted
    default ui since forever the people that honestly needs addons for that makes me lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Then you need something other than the default. If you're using addons, then that is an area where the default interface is insufficient.

If nothing else, the default UI needs a way to move and adjust things. Most that start using unit frame or action bar addons are doing it for that reason.
    The only addons I use are recount, DBM, Coords, petleash, litemount & decursive. The default action bars and raid frames are all I use to heal (although I'd forget to dispel anything if it wasn't for decursive).

I agree that the default UI needs a way to move and adjust things. Admittedly you can move a fair bit around (I have my frame and my target's frame in closer with my cast bar under my frame and buffs on top of my targets frame) but there is a lot more that they could allow you to move (my biggest pet peeve is the special button or action items that show up for certain bosses exactly where I want to keep my raid frames as a healer)

I'd also wish you could move the mini map from the top right and I'd remove the griffins from the default action bars (valuable space that I could place my chat windows). Oh and I'd also move where the tool tip pops up.

Maybe I should just download move anywhere and take care of some of those already =)

Deleted
    The default UI today provides a lot more info than it did a few years ago. A few years ago I would probably have minded if people used default UI. Now I don't really care as long as they compliment with addons that can fill up for the few things the default UI don't do today.

Personally I don't really mind playing on the default UI (like going on beta / PTR etc I don't think it's annoying to use it or bind in that UI), but I have a pretty small monitor so I want to get it either as compact or hidden as possible (the things that doesn't need a lot of attention like actionbars I usually have scaled down a lot).
    I generally try to only really have a tracker for dots, CDs and procs and a bossmod. Rest I just try to keep away as much as needed. But that's just personal preference, as said, I don't really mind playing with def UI anylonger (as opposed to a few years ago).

If they added a costumizeable tracker to the default UI and maybe some more costumization to the raidframes, you would essentially only need a bossmod (if you're a PvEer).

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as healer, the Blizzard raid frames are not good enough for what I want to obtain. Although with the last updates, it is closer to what addons can provide, it's still far from being useable, imho. I also find the default portraits not enough "informative". Other than that, people that run with default UI do not bother me.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tu9ggeThGQ

Oh, you dont, do you? World first kill and still using default UI.

If it works for you, it works.

Ummm who is using the default UI there? The only thing basic in that video is Lappe's bars and buffs display, hes got DBM, Recount, Grid, X-perl, Quartz, Tidyplates, Omen, a combat text mod and the paladin tank has a fully customised UI, so yeah, make more sense please.

Default UI is dogshit, it just does not give you the information you need to get the most out of your character. Sure, you can still dodge stuff and get carried through, but how can you push the maximum dps when you don't have timers for boss abilities?

Example; I need to refresh my dots and the boss has some sort of "teleport away and make you fight adds" mechanic. Clearly, regardless of current duration, they should be refreshed just before he becomes unattackable. But I'm a turd that doesn't use DBM so how do I manage this? Without a timer, you simply can't.

Deleted
    I look down on people who use Elvui lui tykui or what ever. The fact that they need those addons only to be able to do the same thing as I do with the default ui.

In case I need something extra added, I make my own scripts.

I used the standard UI (with some addons like Grid, DBM, etc) for a while but one day decided to try out gUI.

Using the standard UI is nice because very few things (if any) break after a new patch. I think my biggest gripe about add-ons was that the day of a new patch, I spent more time closing my bug popups than actually playing the game. However, with Curse Client, it's pretty easy to update everything and most popular add-ons have updates on patch day.

I really like gUI and it didn't take me very long to get used to it. I think I spent about an hour fixing my bars and customizing everything. After a few hours of playing, I was adjusted to my new UI.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the default UI. It does most things you need it to do, and there are add-ons to fill in the gaps. I use add-ons like TellMeWhen and WeakAuras to track cooldowns and buffs, but it's certainly not necessary.

I suppose if someone doesn't know how to use add-ons people may view them as a "noob", which may contribute to that stereotype?

Deleted
    I wrote my own addons
    get on my level plebs

Deleted
    Default UI is fine*

*with a couple supplementary addons, depending on role.
    - OmniCC or equivalent for numeric cooldowns on actionbuttons is an option severely lacking in default ui.
    - Clique or similar click-casting addon for unitframes if you don't want to be making mouseover macros for every spell, ie keybinding section re:mouse in default options is also lacking.

I don't know a lot of people that look down on players with default UI. If anything, I think a part of those default UI people look down on people that use Addons because they consider it a 'crutch.'

It's very likely I'm only seeing one side, and there are actually people that look down on default UI (as evidenced by posts here).

The BEST reason I could think of is that, people want others in their group to perform better, and when people refuse to addons that could help them perform better, it just means that they aren't doing 'everything they can to do better.'

Default UI is fiiiiiine

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/wowscrnshot032213144014.jpg

Honestly, I've gone from using addons to this.. I've not had a single addon turned on since mid Cata and can honestly say it's great! I don't ever have troubles with anything, like raiding etc. nor in any PvP. Normally I remove the dragons on the side simply with a script though, just because I think it looks a little more slick.. Yet not always, depends which mood I'm in I guess haha
    Last edited by Xeion; 2013-03-22 at 01:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeion View Post
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/wowscrnshot032213144014.jpg

Honestly, I've gone from using addons to this.. I've not had a single addon turned on since mid Cata and can honestly say it's great! I don't ever have troubles with anything, like raiding etc. nor in any PvP. Normally I remove the dragons on the side simply with a script though, just because I think it looks a little more slick.. Yet not always, depends which mood I'm in I guess haha
    How do you remove the dragons? Those things are annoying (only because I can drag my chat window down there or my recount window)