PVP Suggestion: Wintegrasp style 'bg's' with incentive.

Hi, I posted this on the official forums as well, not much engagement there sadly, but I thought I'd just post it here to see what you guys think:

Here it goes:

I'd just came up with an idea which could make participating in bg-like events like wintergrasp with multiple raids interesting and epic.

1. It could be a massive bg, but also the way bg's are implemented now though it must be with multiple raids per faction.
    2. Instead of instanced bosses like VOA, theres one incentive per round pre announced before queing. It could be a mount, or an apic gear item. Only one item will be given to 1 of the players participating in the wintergraps style bg. The person participated is completely random. (another option would be it goes to the person who participated in it the most, measured by some kind of point system, but I think it's a bit to hard to implement). Another option is, the item is changed per month, and you only get it when participating like 80% of the queues per month.
    3. The event only takes place 1 time a day or even 2 or 3 times a week
    4. The queue system will tell what item is the reward.
    5. everyone participating gets some amount of pvp honor/conquestpoints.
    6. It should be with multiple raids alongside like wintergrasp to get the epic WAR feeling, and it should be rare occasions, like mentioned, once a week, once a month or once a day to keep it epic.
    7. It should be like how bg's are implemented now, when there'a new expansion, you can still do it at your level (be it 95 or 100 in coming exapansions), since it's a shame wintergrasp isn't up to date anymore.

Example:
    Say the rare mounts that go for 1 mil on the BMAH, like Invincble is one of the incentives (in this case it should be very rare to even be the incentive), people queing for it can see the mount is the one given away to a random participating person, a few days or one week in advance, imagin the amount of people who will participate in this.

What do you guys think of a pvp option like this?
    Last edited by Condemner; 2013-03-22 at 07:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW cant handle multiple raids properly, that is my main concern but I do agree with you overall.
    That a large scale battle, preferably one that would last an 1h+ would be nice with reward/no reward.
    I miss a battle where even pugs can agree that there has to be some sort of common idea of the game plane and not run around like headless chickens like every regular battleground.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    WoW cant handle multiple raids properly, that is my main concern but I do agree with you overall.
    That a large scale battle, preferably one that would last an 1h+ would be nice with reward/no reward.
    I miss a battle where even pugs can agree that there has to be some sort of common idea of the game plane and not run around like headless chickens like every regular battleground.
    Well, In Wintergrasp it worked pretty fine with multiple raids, and this would be even better if the queue system would be like normal bg's. I'd like to participate in this even when im lvl 45 (with altered rewards ofc).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Well, In Wintergrasp it worked pretty fine with multiple raids, and this would be even better if the queue system would be like normal bg's. I'd like to participate in this even when im lvl 45 (with altered rewards ofc).
    Wintergrasp handle about 2 raids okey, it depends on the design as well. At the places where large scale battles took place there were alot of buildings limiting the ammount of playes using flashy effects that needed to be drawn.
    To my knowledge large open areas with alot of toons put such a strain to most players computers as well as latency issues, Oondasta comes to mind.
    They would need some kind of map design to split the players up a bit maybe with objectives.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-03-22 at 07:08 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with randomly assigned rewards is that people will feel left out at some point for not receiving any special loot. While as example their friend or a guildie has gotten loot 3 times in a row because of his/her extreme luck.

I don't like randomly assigned rewards. Nor do I like rewards that are being assigned to players with as example the highest damage done, or the highest healing done, or heck, even most flag caps for that matter. Why? Because those things are limited things you can do. Only one person can cap a flag at a time, and classes which can cleave and multi-dot with ease will most likely do most damage and have a higher chance on receiving loot.

The problem with Wintergrasp especially is that the honor gain is just so pathetic compared to the length of the boring games. If they want us to play Wintergrasp again, they would have to buff the honor gain and add a new incentive PvP oriented.

Or give us a fair environment where people can wPvP whenever they want, how long they want.

IMO the ultimate fix for those large scale outdoor PvP activities is to remove the CD of those battles and have the rounds keep going on and on and on, so that people can play whenever they want to. Of course they would have to remove the raid function for those BGs so that many more people can join.

As for incentive my idea would be to add tokens to whenever you assist in a kill, kill a person or are in a group with someone who killed a person. (Or have healed someone who killed a person)

Mass scale battles have to be easily accessable, while also giving nice and worthy rewards. The tokens I suggested would be able to be turned into honor points or conquest points (conquest points counting towards RBG cap of course) or instead of honor points and conquest points, they could be used to buy actual gear so that you could either do BGs, or mass scale PvP battles, or both if you want to. There would also have to be added vanity items for the people who have already gotten all the gear they can.

These things though, will never happen unfortunately. I can always dream, but I feel like Blizzard doesn't care at all about long-term, forever lasting fun. Everything you do in WoW can some day be capped after which, if you do the activity again, there's no reward. Just look at LFR. Nobody does LFR after they've done them already for the week. Why? Because there's not a single reward in doing so. The boss fights are quite easy, boring and repetitive because it's a Looking For (Raid/Dungeon) group, and doesn't give you any reward after you've already done them.

Oh, and again, if you want to get rewards like invincible rein's for Wintergrasp/Tol Barad, be prepared to see A LOT of PvE geared players. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Wintergrasp handle about 2 raids okey, it depends on the design as well. At the places where large scale battles took place there were alot of buildings limiting the ammount of playes using flashy effects that needed to be drawn.
    To my knowledge large open areas with alot of toons put such a strain to most players computers as well as latency issues, Oondasta comes to mind.
    They would need some kind of map design to split the players up a bit maybe with objectives.
    True, in my personal experience most of the times WG went fine, even with much action in certain area's, but yeah, I get that with the technoligy/engine used for WoW it's a bit hard to implement.

On a side note, when they release a new expansion I expect something new and refreshing, since I'm already paying monthly for the subscription. Nowadays in technology terms, these features shouldn't be a barrier even with a bit less competitive specs in a (desktop) computer. An option like this would be perfect in a new expansion.

The thing I see as a possible problem is the queue itself. I can imagine it's hard to get enough people together in a que system when the event only takes place only certain times a month.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    The problem with randomly assigned rewards is that people will feel left out at some point for not receiving any special loot. While as example their friend or a guildie has gotten loot 3 times in a row because of his/her extreme luck.

I don't like randomly assigned rewards. Nor do I like rewards that are being assigned to players with as example the highest damage done, or the highest healing done, or heck, even most flag caps for that matter. Why? Because those things are limited things you can do. Only one person can cap a flag at a time, and classes which can cleave and multi-dot with ease will most likely do most damage and have a higher chance on receiving loot.

The problem with Wintergrasp especially is that the honor gain is just so pathetic compared to the length of the boring games. If they want us to play Wintergrasp again, they would have to buff the honor gain and add a new incentive PvP oriented.

Or give us a fair environment where people can wPvP whenever they want, how long they want.

IMO the ultimate fix for those large scale outdoor PvP activities is to remove the CD of those battles and have the rounds keep going on and on and on, so that people can play whenever they want to. Of course they would have to remove the raid function for those BGs so that many more people can join.

As for incentive my idea would be to add tokens to whenever you assist in a kill, kill a person or are in a group with someone who killed a person. (Or have healed someone who killed a person)

Mass scale battles have to be easily accessable, while also giving nice and worthy rewards. The tokens I suggested would be able to be turned into honor points or conquest points (conquest points counting towards RBG cap of course) or instead of honor points and conquest points, they could be used to buy actual gear so that you could either do BGs, or mass scale PvP battles, or both if you want to. There would also have to be added vanity items for the people who have already gotten all the gear they can.

These things though, will never happen unfortunately. I can always dream, but I feel like Blizzard doesn't care at all about long-term, forever lasting fun. Everything you do in WoW can some day be capped after which, if you do the activity again, there's no reward. Just look at LFR. Nobody does LFR after they've done them already for the week. Why? Because there's not a single reward in doing so. The boss fights are quite easy, boring and repetitive because it's a Looking For (Raid/Dungeon) group, and doesn't give you any reward after you've already done them.

Oh, and again, if you want to get rewards like invincible rein's for Wintergrasp/Tol Barad, be prepared to see A LOT of PvE geared players. :/
    Hmm, some very good points there. They could make it so you need a certain pvp item lvl, with the lower lvl versions do not. Also the incentives could be pvp rewards only, with the mounts only given away in the lvl cap of the actual expansion where there is that pvp ilvl requirement. On the other hand, the incentive is the same for both factions, so when you have a lot of hordes with only pve gear, there also will be alot of alliance pve geared players, etc. It's what happened in WG as well.

About your LFR concern, I get that, but I only do lfr because in the short term, I like to see the content, and in the long term I get a chance at some gear to progres in the 'normal' versions. I don't see how LFR is designed for constant fun except for doing it once a week. It's why I think an idea like this should be a bit of the same like the LFR system (like once a week for rewards, or even once a month)
    Last edited by Condemner; 2013-03-22 at 07:38 PM.