Thread: Runescape 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks great. That draw distance looks amazing. I like Runescape but each time I go back to the game (I've been playing on and off since early 06) it just feels like I'll never be able to do end-game content. The amount of quests/stats you need to do just in order to be able to kill the end-game bosses is just very overwhelming in my opinion. Think I'll try and get back into the game seriously whenever this update launches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Currently, the Runescape, known as "EOC"(Evolution of Combat) is not so popular, the nostalgic-version, "OSRS"(Oldschool Runescape, A.K.A. 07rs) is bringing in majority of the players currently. I sure do hope that they won't put up same shit like they did with EOC, which are the P2W crap.
    Let's hope Blizzard wants to do something like that too.

Deleted
    So does this mean WASD movement in an open dynamic 3d world like WoW/GW2 etc? Or still a over the head view of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I'm just as surprised as everyone else.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03...r-summer-2013/

I put hours into the older one when I was younger, but quit from the insane grind. I wonder if this'll take away a lot of that.
    Nope, this is just a graphics overhaul, plus a few interface improvements. The slog of skill grinding is still there, they've just added various alternate methods and such to ease it a bit over the years.

Where I really think they've exponentially improved over the last 2 years or so is quests. Hopefully the new graphical engine makes the cutscenes all the more gorgeous and memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Currently, the Runescape, known as "EOC"(Evolution of Combat) is not so popular, the nostalgic-version, "OSRS"(Oldschool Runescape, A.K.A. 07rs) is bringing in majority of the players currently. I sure do hope that they won't put up same shit like they did with EOC, which are the P2W crap.
    Funny how that works. Maybe WoW should follow that model and just give up new content expansions, altering class balance and all that superfluous stuff. Clearly they'd get more subscribers.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-03-27 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    hope they can make a new good old runescape for our new generations of starting gamers

10+ Year Old Account
    If this had come 3 or so years ago I might have been excited, but after having met my goals and subsequently burned out on RS I can't say I am. It's a good game though.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

FYI: Jagex is planning two new skills this year on top of Runescape 3, they just had a "finale" of sorts in the form of a grandmaster quest, which ties all the quests thus far into a single, epic quest with a tremendous ending.

Spoiler to the quest:

Guthix is killed, Runescape plunges into the Sixth age with his death, his "edicts" which prevented the Gods such as Saradomin and Zamorak from returning to wage war on the land is lifted, Saradomin returns to mass recruit humans to his cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

Funny how that works. Maybe WoW should follow that model and just give up new content expansions, altering class balance and all that superfluous stuff. Clearly they'd get more subscribers.
    Well, WoW hasn't "changed" the way Runescape has. Runescape used to be simple combat, attack mob, kill it with auto attack pretty much, some higher level weapons have "Special Attacks" which use some/all of your Special attack bar.

But at the end of 2012, they turned everything upside down pretty much, monsters gained combat levels or lost, gained new attack styles(eg. Some monster only previously had Melee, now they had Melee+Range) and most of all, at least for me, ruined the simple combat system which worked flawlessly and brought in the "standard MMO" action bar system, also removing the Special Attacks from weapons, which made nearly all higher level weapons junk.

Listing some special attack weapons and how they were affected:

-Granite Maul, used to be fantastic 3 quick hits(happened in less than a second)
    -Dragon Dagger, 4 specs with a full special bar, each special attack hit twice, daggers were fast weapons so you could hit really rapidly with specs.
    -Dragon Mace, Used to have a fairly inaccurate, but brutal, when it landed a high hit special
    -Dragon Battleaxe, This was a massive deal, nobody actually used this Battleaxe for straight up hitting people, it had a special that drained all of your Special bar and increased your Strength by a lot, very popular spec for training
    -Dragon Claws, had a similar effect as Granite Maul, except it hit 4 times in 1 spec and you could do 2 specs with 1 full special bar. Very dreaded in PvP and often used by high lvl PvPers as a Finishing weapon.
    -Excalibur, very very weak sword in itself, however the spec was similar to Dragon Battleaxe, but increased Defence instead of Strength
    -Dark Bow, the deadliest bow special attack in the game, same status as Dragon claws(used as a finisher). Could hit up to 48-48 with its double arrow spec(Keep in mind, Player max hp was 99, so almost 1 shot)

Since Special attacks were removed, these weapons turned into toys, no use for anything. The Dragon Claws, used to be around 11000k(11m) Gold before the EoC happened, now they are around 200k gold I suppose.

It turned into a very "If you don't use these weapons, you are doing it wrong", basically only a handful(around 5-6) weapons were even remotely useful for higher leveled players after the update.
    Last edited by Tehterokkar; 2013-03-30 at 01:43 AM.