Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Why would they? If you want to be a pure frost mage, for example, you still can be. This gives you far more options if you want to hybrid it up, as well as requiring that decisions be made between how good you are at crafting vs. fighting.

I don't expect it to ever happen of course.
    If you merge two classes then you destroy what those classes are right now. Since a lot of players like their classes you wouid only piss off a lot of people. You can't do something like that in the game.

personally i don't care about new classes at all and would rather they spend development time elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to put this out there again: Fourth specs for all the classes (not druids, they got theirs). This instead of a new class.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    personally i don't care about new classes at all and would rather they spend development time elsewhere.
    You know that phrase gets old :P

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 07:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharfox View Post
    Going to put this out there again: Fourth specs for all the classes (not druids, they got theirs). This instead of a new class.
    1. not all classes really have room for good 4th specs
    2. an expansion where everyone but the druid gets something new because he was always able to perform 4 roles? sucks to be a druid in that xpac

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    If you merge two classes then you destroy what those classes are right now.
    Not really. Re-read what I typed.

Or, if you'd like, look at it from a different viewpoint. As an example, do you think the priests PW:S is so drastically different from a paladin's Divine Shield that it's worthy of being a separate entity? Wouldn't it be more interesting from a player perspective to have the option to pick one over the other (or, have the ability to pick a shield ability, and then spec how it behaves).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureDrake View Post
    Necromancer. I love the concept of Necromancy in fantasy games - so deliciously evil. Before you say Death Knights are already in the game, I mean a TRUE Necromancer - one wearing robes and using dark curses to deal damage. I don't enjoy melee, so I've never enjoyed Death Knights. I think Necromancers could wear intellect cloth and have 3 specs - Necromancy, Sacrifice, and Blight.

Necromancy - undead pets

Sacrifice - Blood magic, like Bloodbolt - an ability many NPC's use. Blood magic could make the class unique in that large percentages of the Necromancer or even willing allies to unleash very powerful attacks. Sort of like Void Shift.

Blight - Disease DoTs and curses.

If this would just be a mix of warlock and DK and far too similar, though, I'd be fine with a Death Knight ranged spec. I just want to be a ranged Necromancer...
    Uhm I can see it... I like your style! You are hired!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Not really. Re-read what I typed.

Or, if you'd like, look at it from a different viewpoint. As an example, do you think the priests PW:S is so drastically different from a paladin's Divine Shield that it's worthy of being a separate entity? Wouldn't it be more interesting from a player perspective to have the option to pick one over the other (or, have the ability to pick a shield ability, and then spec how it behaves).
    paladins are basically a mix of knights and priests
    to now mix paladins and priests would be pretty stupid
    and yes those classes are very different, just because they have some similar abilities doesn't mean anything

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Merge classes? You can't see how players would hate that?
    I don't see merged classes ever happening.

Merged specs? Where talents and Glyphs are used to determine style of play and focus, would possibly be more likely. A Paladin would thus always be a plate wearing class capable if healing, DPS and tanking but his spec choice and gameplay focus would be determined by talents, Glyphs, gemming and use of his inate toolset.

Likely? Wouldn't think so. As you say, people have grown attached to their spec so, while it might have been a good idea and help reduce the balancing burden, it wouldn't exactly be popular. OTOH, a lot of players do change spec frequently often going for the FotM....so how attached are they?

The other option that may be a possibility would be to view each class as based upon a core. Again with the Paladin example - this would be a class that used mana and HP as a resource, but could be split off into sub-classes that used the same armor and resources but not much else. Paladins, Templars, Vindicators, Crusaders could be joined by BattleMages as a plate wearing mana using class with melee capability for example.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-03-29 at 07:37 PM.

No love for Dark Rangers?....

how having 2 different class 1 for horde and 1 for alliance? like necromancer for alliance (cult of the damned renegades) and witch doctor for the horde (zandalari renegades)
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Gunslinger
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

I know it's getting really old but I just want Demon Hunters. Wanted them for a long time now so my vote goes for them!

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunter or Dark Ranger class. Beast master also, sort of a mix with enhance shammy and a hunter. Would be awesome. Its going to be a burning legion type class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunter. I'd play the game again if they added this in another Burning Legion expansion, and they cataclysm'd Outland.

Tinkerer. Honestly seems like there is more art of "engineers" than anything else in all of Warcraft. Almost every picture of a gnome or Goblin focuses on it.

Make it a range class, we are in need of a new one. All added classes have been melee (outside of healing)

Deleted
    Hemomancer, blood manipulation, flesh shaping, creepy stuff like that. :P I don't ever see this coming as a class though, perhaps as a 4th mage/warlock spec.

I agree that they should be done with new classes for a while, if not forever. I think a very viable option for the next x-pac is to clean up the existing classes a bit and maybe add a new race (or not). Many of the more homogeneous roles could probably even use complete re-imagining.

But it’s still fun to think about these sorts of things, and every time one of these threads pops up I find myself getting on board with the 4-spec people, giving everyone a fourth specs. After all, it works well for druids.

For this thread, I decided to actually sit down and write a list of theoretical specs they could add to each class just to get some ideas out there. But to my surprise, the exercise demonstrated to me that I'm not convinced it would be a very good idea.

Some specs made sense to me (a ranger/demon hunter for example could be a hunter spec that doesn't rely on bows), but I was hard pressed to come out with compelling specs for most classes, especially pures.

Say what you will about specific old-school encounters that required spell-stealing etc., I just can't see mages, warlocks, hunters, and rogues with healing or tanking specs. And a fourth dps spec for these classes seems egregiousness.

What I determined is that I don’t think the 4-spec system would work unless there was a fundamental change to the role system as we currently know it, the so-called ‘Holy Trinity’ of Tank, Healer, and DPS.

I think what they should do is add another role. With that fourth role, if they feel they’ve got a lot to work with, they can add a fourth spec to each class or make improvements to existing specs that are banal.

For me, the logical first choice is a support role. It would be interesting, fun, and rewarding to play because your ability to play your class could affect how well everyone else played theirs. The better you are at keeping buffs up and active and who you keep them on, the more effective your raid will be.

Scaling could make buff values have a support character contribute as much dps as a normal dps would output. So if you were crap at your spec you'd contribute as much DPS as a crappy DPS would and a good player could contribute as much as similarly-skilled player.

Support specs could also absorb many of the traditional raid-wide buffs perhaps (BL/TW). People would probably hate that, but it would make support specs very desirable for raid groups. This is the weakest part of my theory and might never work. No idea.

I get all sort of crazy ideas like interrupt mechanics, for example. Tanks and deeps have to keep a watchful eye on mobs for casts and attempt to interrupt them. What if the support’s role was to keep buffs up and then choose the right spell a friendly target was casting to buff?

Spells like symbiosis also come to mind. Instead of ‘buff x’ increases crit damage to all spells, certain buffs/spells would only affect specific friendly spells. Or support buffs could do things like add a dot/hot component to nukes.

The devs at Blizz must have a lot of fun talking about this stuff. I love hearing what a lot of you guys think.
    Last edited by Nalloa; 2013-03-29 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Go tank. You'll live longer.

Can't say the same thing about keeping your hair, though.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalloa View Post
    I agree that they should be done with new classes for a while, if not forever.
    There is always room for a new class. It adds variety.

I think a very viable option for the next x-pac is to clean up the existing classes a bit and maybe add a new race (or not). Many of the more homogeneous roles could probably even use complete re-imagining.
    A clean up would be nice. But how?

Part of the problem is that there are too many specs for some classes. A rogue really only needs one. What happens with the trees then is playing style. Useful, but ultimately a bit limiting. Would it be better if the 3 Rogue trees were collapsed into 1 with Glyphs providing personal choice and playstyle?

But it’s still fun to think about these sorts of things, and every time one of these threads pops up I find myself getting on board with the 4-spec people, giving everyone a fourth specs. After all, it works well for druids.
    It works well for druids because druids are one of the classes that currently support 4 different roles. That leads to enough variation to support 4 specs. Currently, some classes have trouble justifying 2 specs, never mind 4.

For this thread, I decided to actually sit down and write a list of theoretical specs they could add to each class just to get some ideas out there. But to my surprise, the exercise demonstrated to me that I'm not convinced it would be a very good idea.

Some specs made sense to me (a ranger/demon hunter for example could be a hunter spec that doesn't rely on bows), but I was hard pressed to come out with compelling specs for most classes, especially pures.

Rogue: Combat: Tank; Subtlety: Ranged Physical DPS; Assassination: Melee DPS.
    Mage: Arcane: Healing; Frost: Tanking; Fire: DPS.
    Hunter: Survival: Ranged DPS Marksmanship: Ranged DPS. BeastMaster: Tanking
    Warlock: Destruction: Spell Ranged DPS. Demonology: Tanking/Healing. Affiliction: Spell Ranged DPS

Of the specs above....Affiliction and Destruction are both spell based Ranged DPS, Survival and Marksmanship are both ranged Physical DPS and aren't really needed. The others have some justification for a new focus or option.

Hybrids can be even worse

Paladin: Ret: Physical Melee DPS. Prot: Tanking; Holy: Healing - speculative Inquisitor/Shockadin/BattleMage: Ranged Spell DPS; Knight: Pet based DPS around charger.

I think what they should do is add another role. With that fourth role, if they feel they’ve got a lot to work with, they can add a fourth spec to each class or make improvements to existing specs that are banal.
    So long as it isn't support. That has been tried and largely failed.

For me, the logical first choice is a support role.
    Oops.

As it is, I'd argue that there already are 4 roles in game:

Melee DPS, healing, Tanking and Ranged DPS. Blizzard has tried the whole "support class" routine but it wasn't popular. Paladins, for example, had low DPS so their solo game suffered. It wasn't anywhere near as satisfying for many.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-04-04 at 03:46 PM.

I'd like to see the engineer/tinker class idea added or a ranger, i always play a bow using guy in rpgs like morrowind and such, but the rogue in this game is nothing like what i normally enjoy combining stealth and bows.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Tinker
    Necromancer
    Demon Hunter

1 of those.
    I saw a good write up of the Tinker as a Shaman a few years back.
    The Necromancer....a Warlock with Undead minions. Not sure there's a need or role for it.
    The Demon Hunter....A Warlock who makes use of the Beta Dark Apotheosis Glyph.

I'm not sure what class I'd want to see next.
    There is a need for a class that makes use of SpellPlate - doable via Shockadin/BattleMage or reworking the Ret/Protadin to also make use of that gear.
    There is a need for a class that can make use of ranged weaponry - adding a ranged spec to either warrior or rogue (preferable) would do.
    There is a need for a class to make use of Mail - but to be honest, I can't really think of any that suit. Part of that problem is that Mail isn't really associated with any class archetype to a strong degree. Its really only there to spread out loot competition - both Shaman and Hunters would (IMO) feel better in leather. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean Mail is a little vague.

EJL