Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was gonna say....What happened to his EYE! lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    I was gonna say....What happened to his EYE! lol
    He got injured when the Scourge attacked Sylvermoon (in the battle where Sylvanas died), here an offical pic of him with the injure in his eye:

Edit: Actually you can see he now with an eyepath:

Wish he had a shirt and closed-finger gloves.

Otherwise, not bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    BTW guys if you copy the image link, you can clearly read: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/090/e/c/april_fools__warchief_lor_themar_by_vaanel_by_vaanel-d5zyyaq.jpg, so be sad these's not official

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McLockhart View Post
    I don't think there really is anything special about his appearance. I was hoping for armour a bit more.. "Blood Elf/High Elf"'ish. It just looks like the random lvl 40 greens/blues you'd find in your dungeon.

Sure, the details make him stand out. But when I look at it I think of some random high ranking officer in the Blood Elf army. The shoulders especially are so used that I find them embarrassing.

I seriously hope this is an April Fools Joke. The Sin'dorei deserve far better than this.. Junk
    Well, technically, Lor'themar wouldn't care about the armor looks, only it's use. He didn't even wish to be Regent Lord from the start, yes the armor may not look so elfish, but it's a good view really of what could happen to look. You can see as you follow him, how he actually wants to be in the field. How he can't stand being back in the city or camp and be "Safe".

P.s. I confess that I would love to be able to wield the weapons of the Silvermoon Guard, that model should be for grabs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Not really. Most of his models are in-line with the updated stuff. Like his Warchief Thrall model seems to be on about the same level as the Shaman Thrall currently in-game. His gear textures don't really fit the non-updated characters in game, though.
    I don't know. See, his Thrall model is one of my faves, but I believe it's because he takes less artistic licence with the Doomhammer armor. But compare the Undead Sylvanas by Blizzard and Vaneel's Living one; he takes it too far.

Although, his over-detailing works perfectly on his models set on Azshara's rule; you can expect things to be like that with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Now what you say is true, but Vaanel aims for depth in a story telling he's making. These models he's crafted are all to be used, and is easier to operate with ones own rig and desired view of how the different people should appear like.

Yes, Vaanel has taken a careful step around the cartoonish style of World of Warcraft, but it's to keep the scenes he's making in tune with the happenings - it's not disowning where it's from, they follow the base lines of what some details in WoW are growing to be. Therefor there must be a feel to the model, one has to enjoy and be proud of what has been formed instead of Modelviewer tooled models. Vaanel has been very hard at work, creating alot of impressed comments and ideas, lets hope he doesn't finish his project soon so we can follow more..

... yet, wouldn't one want to see the completed resulted... DAMN DILEMMA!!!
    I am indeed very excited about his ultimate project, as I'm sure the art style will be cohesive and I love that; it is when you put his models side by side with the blizzard ones where I feel the disconnection.

I like to point out his Sylvanas as an example of that. First the original

Vaanel V1

Vaanel V2

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...el-d5s008p.jpg

I think his first living Sylvanas is not very good color palete wise, but he did correct and the result is a far more harmonious look overall, also he got rid of the high heels of combat and the serpentine hairdo. Much better and praise worthy work.

But compare the armor detail on the Blizz Sylvanas, and Vaanel's. Blizzard's art style is economic and practical as Vaanel is more lavish and grander, I think the differences are too blatant; the first focuses on shape as the second in detail. Observe the different approach to the metal detailing on both cases. Blizzard hints at it through texture, as Vaanel uses individual shapes for each detail. Regardless of what version anyone would like most, I do believe the differences are objectively too noticeable if we put them side by side.

And personally, with Sylvanas, I don't think his model fits the character; I have always envisioned her on a more practical attire. This last statement is completely subjective though, and of no impact to my previous points.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2013-04-01 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Please use thumbnails for giant images.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    BTW guys if you copy the image link, you can clearly read: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/090/e/c/april_fools__warchief_lor_themar_by_vaanel_by_vaanel-d5zyyaq.jpg, so be sad these's not official
    Aye, sadly it is know that it's so, but we can always wish for the awesomeness to grow more. No? Blizzard is currently throwing wood and a growing pyre of Theron, and wouldn't mind if he started to stamp his plated foot to the ground. Stopping the over flowing resources going out of Quel'Thalas and finally build Silvermoon more might, making it grow to house the many Sunreavers without a home. To bring the elven people back to their lands.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

the picture name is: "april_fools__warchief_lor_themar_by_vaneel ...."
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Vaneel's models would be lovely but I'm not sure it would fit and be beneficial to Blizzard's world. While he is awesome I doubt he could adhere to Blizzard's style.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    I don't know. See, his Thrall model is one of my faves, but I believe it's because he takes less artistic licence with the Doomhammer armor. But compare the Undead Sylvanas by Blizzard and Vaneel's Living one; he takes it too far.

Although, his over-detailing works perfectly on his models set on Azshara's rule; you can expect things to be like that with her.

I am indeed very excited about his ultimate project, as I'm sure the art style will be cohesive and I love that; it is when you put his models side by side with the blizzard ones where I feel the disconnection.

SNIP

Vaanel V1

SNIP

Vaanel V2

I think his first living Sylvanas is not very good color palete wise, but he did correct and the result is a far more harmonious look overall, also he got rid of the high heels of combat and the serpentine hairdo. Much better and praise worthy work.

But compare the armor detail on the Blizz Sylvanas, and Vaanel's. Blizzard's art style is economic and practical as Vaanel is more lavish and grander, I think the differences are too blatant; the first focuses on shape as the second in detail. Observe the different approach to the metal detailing on both cases. Blizzard hints at it through texture, as Vaanel uses individual shapes for each detail. Regardless of what version anyone would like most, I do believe the differences are objectively too noticeable if we put them side by side.

And personally, with Sylvanas, I don't think his model fits the character; I have always envisioned her on a more practical attire. This last statement is completely subjective though, and of no impact to my previous points.

The model/gear/armor was based on this official blizzard art for the TGC card sets:

WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

10+ Year Old Account

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U1sNSxy9T0...0/sylvanas.jpg

Vaanel V1

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...el-d59nz7r.jpg

Vaanel V2

Oh, you are right about it all. But what you must remember, you are comparing the Banshee Queen with her living self. The High Elves were actually quite alot like his second version. It fits for being a High Elf, and Sylvanas' current model first for her doing now... Heck, beats her old model, no?
    Last edited by Elysia; 2013-04-01 at 12:25 AM.

That is a really well constructed April fool's joke. Wake me up on April 2nd. Then Ill start believing stuff I see posted.

Deleted
    April folls or not, Lothremaer looks LIKE A BAWS! =)

Ack, clashing colors, cluttered details, weak silhouettes, cheap enamel looking paint on the textures,.... *flees*

---------- Post added 2013-03-31 at 07:27 PM ----------

Lor'Themar is kinda cool though.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    The model/gear/armor was based on this official blizzard art for the TGC card sets:

And that artwork is basically a color swap of Sylvanas undead armor, it even has the skulls on the shoulder pads. I like that Vaanel color corrected his model to resemble this released -after his original model- artwork, but the issue of the metal detailing in the armor persists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, you are right about it all. But what you must remember, you are comparing the Banshee Queen with her living self. The High Elves were actually quite alot like his second version. It fits for being a High Elf, and Sylvanas' current model first for her doing now... Heck, beats her old model, no?
    This is the part that is subjective; What would Sylvanas wear? lol. Though I will say this: compare the "Sunwell" sets with Vaaneel's Sylvanas.

But my point stands as my issues are about how the rendering is approached; Vaneel's design, full of metal details -and I kinda need a more specific word for that- wouldn't look the same in Blizzards style. Think about how they tackled Tyrande's chestpiece, similar in complexity to Vaanel's designs.

The whole of the detailing is left to the texture, the meshes themselves are all about the shape. In Vaanel's stile, there would be far more unique geometry for it; and I think that causes a very different en result.

And that's just the technical aspect on itself, then the philosophy of the design makes the breach wider. As I said, blizzard designs feel more efficient and practical as vaneel's focus on the detail and lavishness. Besides the Sylvanas, you can see this on the Azshara's.

Other of his models that totally fits wow is his Illidan, which I like better than the original.

Please wait till April 1st before you post April fools jokes, otherwise you're just trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Please wait till April 1st before you post April fools jokes, otherwise you're just trolling.
    You know that the "time" isn't the same around the world, right?

Thanks for posting the pictures. I didn't know about the guy Vaanel so I went to his Deviant Art page to check. Boy is he talented!
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh but I wish that would happen...

You know that the "time" isn't the same around the world, right?
    Yeah, but I wish he would get the day right or close to right.