Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    If you play the game for fun, then the question about money makes even less sense.

If you are playing for fun, there is no reason for you to take money out of the game, you should use them to upgrade your gear.
    If you are playing the game and are trading resources that you farm inside the game for some real life currency instead of using them to improve your character, then it looks more like a job of chinese farmer to me. Its RPG. If you are not improving anything, you are doing it wrong.
    I used to play Everquest...despite the name, the game had very few quests. Instead, there was this mindless grinding of monsters to level up in it. After awhile I sorta enjoyed that experience. You are interacting and at the same time, you aren't trying to maximize a rotation or anything. It was a relaxing experience really. When I started playing Diablo 2 many years ago, I enjoyed the thrill of discovery of new items and the same simple low attention, low stress enjoyment from killing. One of my friends would make up stupid goals for himself, like punching every monster in every act of Diablo 2 to death. (He used a bunch of charms for elemental damage. Incidentally, he leveled a Warlock to 40 on a pvp server with no gear equipped. I wouldn't say he was wrong to do such things as you are implying, he just was focused on different things than character improvement. After all, RPGs are Role playing games. On a table top game, we'd call you a roll player rather than a role player.)

With Diablo 3, alot of the "improvement" for me is trying different specs and different combination of runes and abilities. Yeah, I like seeing my dps number or defenses do different things but at the same time, I also like the idea of a budget character. (I used to build 15 dollar or less decks in magic the gathering for fun). There's this beauty in efficiency to me. Yeah, I could spent 12 million (peanuts to most) for a better weapon, but this 2 million gold weapon is almost as good.

My biggest sale was a 200 plus Int ring with a ton of great stats (I think it was damage, attack speed, magic item find, vitality and crit strike). I could have kept it for the extra 10,000 dps or whatever it added, but I figured the 200 dollars was worth more to me than the pixels of the ring. (Plus a wise move in retrospect with all the legendaries and hellfire rings and paragon levels that made the magic find on it worth less than before). In some ways, I guess getting rid of a godly item is a godsent to me because it means the gear hunt can go on. It was more about the journey of grinding than actually getting the gear, if that makes sense. Once you have perfect gear...that's usually when you stop playing lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing, considered buying lots of stuff though, but been short on cash :P
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Like $300 and some change. Donated it all to buy our guild mate a new laptop. Everyone in the guild pitched in when his broke unexpectedly.

Think I spent like $8 or 10 of my own money. XD
    That's pretty cool.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    450 so far. I dont use the RMAH much anymore, Im sure I would if I spent more hours in game, but I only have time to play for about 2 hours a night. =o[

Thats not enough time to make lots of money with D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    what did u buy for that money ? a car ?
    I've bought a new laptop, a new smartphone, and use these money to pay in regular shops to buy everything i need Still have 7-8 k left to spend.

Deleted
    About 400 €, but iirc I played for not even 2 months after release. I had luck with a recipe (seeker's something), most of the profit came out of crafting the boots. The rest came from selling the gear from my barb. I kept the gear from the DH in case I start playing again someday.
    Most of it I spent for other games (steam / gog / blizz digital sales). Still haven't found the time to play even half of what I bought.

made alittle over 3k since it went live, though I quit playing around paragon 96 when gold took a shit a few months back. Once it went under 75CENTS a mil I stopped.

A whole $6.50, and I was dumb enough to not have it sent to PayPal. It was from some legendary that had some bad stats. Bought some gold with it though.

About 1k Dollars. Haven't touched the game seriously in months though.

Originally invested: 200 €
    End-Balance (cashed out 2-3 months after launch): 650 €

so that's a 450 € profit, I did enjoy it however but ye, at an hourly rate this is almost nothing.

I played online poker for a short while as a "semi-pro" and cashed out +/- 1 000 $ / month but that sucked _extremely_ hard, I grinded 2-3 tables at a time and every time i got sucked out I was raging internally and probably was making 5 $/hr only anyway >_>
    Last edited by Vorondil; 2013-04-15 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    Originally invested: 200 €
    End-Balance (cashed out 2-3 months after launch): 650 €

so that's a 450 € profit, I did enjoy it however but ye, at an hourly rate this is almost nothing.

I played online poker for a short while as a "semi-pro" and cashed out +/- 1 000 $ / month but that sucked _extremely_ hard, I grinded 2-3 tables at a time and every time i got sucked out I was raging internally and probably was making 5 $/hr only anyway >_>
    If you got sucked out on frequently, then you weren't a very good poker player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    After seeing how the AH is part of what destroyed the game, I couldn't bring myself to support it in any form. I originally thought an AH was an awesome idea as I used to sell items via E-bay all the time in D2 and sometimes I hated waiting for someone to join my game to trade/buy the item i was selling. But I was wrong, I should have seen the problems with it long before the game launched, but I was blinded by the light, or so to speak.
    It's the gold AH that actually does the damage, as it's used by basically everyone,

Lessons learned...