Page 1 of 36
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Sochi 2014 Ice hockey thread!

The olympic games are starting soon.

This thread is for ice hockey discussion, analysis, cheering and nation bashing (in a good taste!).

PS. Remember to watch women's ice hockey, too! It's great entertainment as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    swedish guy cheering for finland here!!!

I think Canada will wreck everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think this time the teams in the usual top 6 are pretty equal. On paper, Canada and Russia having slightly better teams than others, but generally I think the teams haven't been this equal past 3 or so olympics.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been much talk that the european teams have advantage when it comes to playing on big ice since they grew up with and all. Canada and USAs mistakes in 1998 and 2006 were that they didnt bring enough speed in their team they pretty much took their best players no matter what. This year Canada left some of their slower players at home like Joe Thornton. I mean that guy is a genius on the smaller rinks were he doesnt have to skate as much as he have to on the big rinks. Now canada have alot of speed both offense and defense.
    Sweden are missing 2 of their best players in Franzén and Henrik Sedin so i don't think they can match the top teams maybe they can get to semifinals depending on who they play in quarter.
    Finland are the underdogs of this tournament. They dont have many NHL stars but they sure have some pure talent from KHL and the finnish league.
    1. Canada
    2. Russia
    3. Finland
    4. USA

15+ Year Old Account
    My quick analysis on the men's teams:

Canada:
    - very solid group
    - lots of variety in offense, their 3rd and 4th lines are especially dangerous compared to other teams
    - 3 very good offensive defensemen (Weber, Keith, Bouwmeester) and imo probably the best allround defenseman in the world (Subban)
    - goalies are good, but I don't think they stand toe to toe against some other teams
    - a big loss of not getting Stamkos to the team

USA:
    - overall good package, lacking a bit in the offensive department (both offense- and defensemen)
    - great goalies (Quick, Miller)

Russia:
    - too offensive goalscoring offensemen setup
    - 3rd and 4th lines are a big liability to the team
    - weakish defense setup
    - goalies are a question mark

Sweden:
    - very good package in all roles
    - good goalies
    - missing Henrik Sedin was a big hit for their 1st line

Finland:
    - offense has lots of variety, lacking a bit in the sharpest goal scoring skills
    - 3rd and 4th lines got some bulldozer duracell rabbits (Komarov, Pihlström). If you don't know them yet, you'll know them soon
    - the whole defense is a big question mark, which has been an issue for Finland for couple of years
    - best goalie setup in the tournament (might be a bit biased opinion)
    - some tough injuries may/will affect the team. Missing Saku Koivu and there's a possibility of missing Mikko Koivu, Kimmo Timonen and Valtteri Filppula as well.

Norway:
    - bad defense
    - bad offense
    - bad goalies
    - ....yet they still usually play good as a team
    - the best of the worst!

Czech:
    - good offense, lacks a bit on the physical side
    - solid defense
    - bad bad goalies

Slovakia:
    - offense is good/mediocre
    - defense relies a lot on couple of key players
    - bad goalies

Switzerland:
    - 2 good offensive lines, 2 good defensive pairs
    - must play really good as a team to be successful (like past 2 years WC)
    - decent goalies

Austria:
    - relies on 1st offensive line and goaltending
    - I don't see them winning anyone else but Latvia and Slovenia
    - bad goalies generally

Latvia:
    - poor defense
    - poor offense
    - mediocre goalies

Slovenia:
    - Kopitar and Rodman are the only international standard players
    - fighting for the last spots with Austria and Latvia

- - - Updated - - -

PS. A horrible hockey tune from Finland for these championships:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc_tmIMjnW0

The song was made from this thing he said in the last WC's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ3T57e1TCs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    imo probably the best allround defenseman in the world (Subban)
    There are alot better allround defensemen imo. Weber, pietrangelo, Fowler, Karlsson and Chara to name a few.

big loss of not getting Stamkos to the team
    Not really a big loss considering they get Martin St.Louis instead. Just horrible to leave him of the roster from the start.

Finland: best goalie setup in the tournament (might be a bit biased opinion)
    Not biased. It's a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kopitar and Rodman are the only international standard players
    And Mursak.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathoros View Post
    There are alot better allround defensemen imo. Weber, pietrangelo, Fowler, Karlsson and Chara to name a few.
    I like Subban's speed and physical gameplay. He isn't that bad with the puck either.
    Karlsson is hands down the best offensive defenseman in the world.
    Chara might be the best defensive one.
    But these are only subjective opinions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    And Mursak.
    I wasn't familiar with him. Googled and checked him. Yeah should be a good player!

10+ Year Old Account
    Slovakia:
    - offense is good/mediocre
    - defense relies a lot on couple of key players
    - bad goalies
    Well, I always say that Slovakia has weak spots in Centers and Defensmen. I don't think our Goalies are that bad... But they usually rely on having good day.

I think Slovakia lacks mainly Centers, I don't see if there is anybody good besides Handzuš (He is from the same town as me ), Kopecký is also quite good. And Defense is basically built on Chára and Višňovský. There are a lot of good wingers, but with no one at the centre to create a chance they are useless. And Goalie can be good as he can, but with terrible defense it is impossible to catch everything.

I may be wrong, though. Nowadays I am not that in touch with Ice Hockey.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrudo View Post
    Well, I always say that Slovakia has weak spots in Centers and Defensmen. I don't think our Goalies are that bad... But they usually rely on having good day.

I think Slovakia lacks mainly Centers, I don't see if there is anybody good besides Handzuš (He is from the same town as me ), Kopecký is also quite good. And Defense is basically built on Chára and Višňovský. There are a lot of good wingers, but with no one at the centre to create a chance they are useless. And Goalie can be good as he can, but with terrible defense it is impossible to catch everything.

I may be wrong, though. Nowadays I am not that in touch with Ice Hockey.
    Yeh centers are the weak spot of Slovakia. Handzus is(was? he is quite old) decent. And really, Slovakias goalies aren't on the same page as the goalies of other teams. Pavelec is an NHL goalie, but a B-class one.

Although, one must always remember that all of the goalies in the tournament are at least semi good. They all can do shutouts against anyone. So if a goalie has a good day, anything can happen.

I wonder if there are any more ancient mummies in the tournament in addition to Jagr and Selänne....

Those guys cruise to the stage with their Harley Parkinson's

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh centers are the weak spot of Slovakia. Handzus is(was? he is quite old) decent. And really, Slovakias goalies aren't on the same page as the goalies of other teams. Pavelec is an NHL goalie, but a B-class one.

Although, one must always remember that all of the goalies in the tournament are at least semi good. They all can do shutouts against anyone. So if a goalie has a good day, anything can happen.

I wonder if there are any more ancient mummies in the tournament in addition to Jagr and Selänne....

Those guys cruise to the stage with their Harley Parkinson's
    Yeah, I agree that Slovakia's Goalies are not the top level as those from Finland or Sweden. However to be honest I never considered them as the weakest part of Slovakia's team. Again I am not the top expert on Ice Hockey... Sadly Rugby, the sport I like the most, isn't plalyed in Slovakia. Off-topic I know...

And yes, Handzuš is quite old now. He is in his late 30s... Most of Slovakia's good players are remaining few from what we call "Golden Generation", here in Slovakia. Players in our representation are either in their late 30s or in their early 20s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrudo View Post
    Yeah, I agree that Slovakia's Goalies are not the top level as those from Finland or Sweden. However to be honest I never considered them as the weakest part of Slovakia's team.

And yes, Handzuš is quite old now. He is in his late 30s... Most of Slovakia's good players are remaining few from what we call "Golden Generation", here in Slovakia. Players in our representation are either in their late 30s or in their early 20s.
    Oh what a mistake I made by calling Pavelec a Slovak goalie *ashamed*

But that aside, there are couple of good Slovakian younger players like Tatar, Zaborsky and Miklik (well not that young). At least I like them and see them having a great potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh what a mistake I made by calling Pavelec a Slovak goalie *ashamed*

But that aside, there are couple of good Slovakian younger players like Tatar, Zaborsky and Miklik (well not that young). At least I like them and see them having a great potential.
    No worries, Slovakia and Czech Republic used to be one country... Our names are very similar.

Yes. Tatár is shaping well in Detroit (Along with Jurčo, both are in Detroit). But again, he is winger... You are right though, Slovakia have great potential. Our players are quite skilled, but usually suffer from low confidence (Which is probably one of nation's characteristics). Yet, there is great weight of expectacion on their shoulders from people here. Also the financial support in Slovakia for Ice Hockey is quite bad. We spend most of the money on that damned Football and they never won anything.

And when we fall off the championship, I will cheer for Suomi as I usually do after Slovakia goes home.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always cheer for the underdog of a match (after my own nation of course).

So basically I hope that especially Slovakia, Switzerland and Norway do well this time. Of course it would be nice to see Austria, Slovenia and Latvia going somewhere, but that I can't see coming this time.

Finland:
    - best goalie setup in the tournament (might be a bit biased opinion)
    Canadian here, and I agree 100%. Will be a little tougher with allstar lineups going against them every game, but they are the best trio in my eyes.

Deleted
    My guess is that Canada will roll through this pretty easy, Russia will choke because of the home turf pressure. Sweden has way to many players not finding their top play.

1. Canada
    2. Finland (Goalies can do much )
    3. Usa
    4. Sweden
    5. Russia
    6 Czech

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada , US 1-2

Being from the US, I think the US has a good shot if the Canadian team just decides not to play

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit.... bad news for Finland: Mikko Koivu AND Valtteri Filppula both are injured and can't come. Koivu hasn't recovered from his surgery fast enough and Filppula fractured his ankle last night
    So Finland lost 2 players from 1st line....

Deleted
    Holy shit.... bad news for Finland: Mikko Koivu AND Valtteri Filppula both are injured and can't come. Koivu hasn't recovered from his surgery fast enough and Filppula fractured his ankle last night
    So Finland lost 2 players from 1st line....
    Sorry to hear that You are pretty much done now :P