Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Honestly, you'll get just as many opposing opinions if you go to even just a handful of dedicated fitness sites.

Fact is, there might some some decent rules of thumb but most things will affect different people in different ways. The best thing to do is to learn as much as you can and then see what works for you. Eating healthy in general is just good no matter what your goal. In fact, I found the diet (planning, cooking, adding variety) to be the hardest part of looking fit. I've been working out on and off for quite a few years now. The best results I ever had was this past year when I really made an effort to formulate a good diet plan. I also tend to be a pretty thin guy, so maybe some of this will work for you.

What worked for me:
    I had been eating relatively healthily for a while so the changes I made weren't too big a shock. I only drink water, so no need to cut anything there. The main thing I completely did away with was bread. No sandwiches, toast, kolaches, pizza, whatever.

Breakfast (alternated between the following):
    -Bacon and eggs (3 whole eggs, scrambled with egg whites), half a grapefruit, sometimes also had a bowl of oatmeal with craisins or sliced banana
    -Cereal (some variety of the GoLean type) with whole milk and a sliced banana

Lunch/Dinner:
    -Chicken or fish, sides included a combination of the following; brown rice, broccoli, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, asparagus, or salad with vinaigrette
    -There are plenty of places where you can by this type of dish, and of course you can always cook it yourself

Snacks:
    -During the day; almonds, fruit (berries, bananas, apples, pears), Greek yogurt, raw veggies and low fat ranch dip
    -In the evening (right before bed); cottage cheese or Greek yogurt

Post workout smoothie (alternated between the following):
    -Greek yogurt, one banana, chocolate flavored whey protein, whole milk, and a spoonful of peanut butter
    -Greek yogurt, one banana, fruit flavored whey protein, frozen berries, all natural apple juice

Every morning I did pull ups and knee raises using one of those door frame pullup bars. I would hit the gym every weekday after work. Weight training only at the gym, rarely more than 60min, split between push days (squats, bench press, overhead press, etc.) and pull days (deadlift, pullups, rows, etc.). Abs/core every day. On Tuesdays I also participated in a running club (in addition to some light lifting at the gym first), 3 miles. On the weekends I would take one rest day and do sprint training on the other day. I think the sprint training helped a lot (in addition to the diet) with cutting what little body fat I still had left. Over the course of about 5 months I got down to 7-8% body fat while also gaining almost 20lb. Given that I actually dropped about 6% body fat, my actual muscle gain was likely more than 20lb. I felt fantastic throughout the entire thing and only quit when I started taking classes again and my schedule got all fucked up.

Anyway, I think that about covers it. Like I said before, what works for one person might not work as well for another.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2013-04-13 at 12:38 PM.