Poll: Do you want a "number squish" to happen?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why do people hate big numbers? :x

I like big numbers. The bigger, the better. It means I'm getting stronger. I don't want to become less powerful.

I want to get off a 200 Million damage crit some day.

The PVE side of this game is about character progression; constantly growing more powerful the longer you play the character.

The squish would likely mean you log in tomorrow and your character is now comparatively weaker against old foes than it was yesterday. The complete opposite of character progression. And I am not at all confident that Blizzard can squish old content correctly.

i hope it happens. it would make older gear more valuable and older content more challenging

It would make you FEEL weaker, when in fact you wouldn't be. People would get used to it quickly and all the numbers would just make the game look clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    The PVE side of this game is about character progression; constantly growing more powerful the longer you play the character.

The squish would likely mean you log in tomorrow and your character is now comparatively weaker against old foes than it was yesterday. The complete opposite of character progression. And I am not at all confident that Blizzard can squish old content correctly.
    a naked 90 can kill ragnaros
    that's fucked up
    1-60 is nice and linear, 60-90 should be on the same line

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    i hope it happens. it would make older gear more valuable and older content more challenging
    It wouldn't make older gear more valuable.

Wouldnt care less. Why does it matter if we gonna do 40dmg or 40k dmg. Same shit.

A pure, mathematical squish shouldn't make anything easier or harder, just scale the numbers so they have a whole lot fewer zeros on the right side. I'd like to see that happen, but I don't trust blizzard to not stick a major player nerf in there. So, I'd vote for leaving it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    It would make you FEEL weaker, when in fact you wouldn't be. People would get used to it quickly and all the numbers would just make the game look clearer.
    not true
    they're talking about squishing stats on gear from level 58 BC gear to current gear. they said they like 1-60, it's in a good place and is nice and linear with no huge jumps. they plan on leaving all vanilla content the way it is now too, but nerfing bc and later content

they're not just changing the numbers, if that was the aim they'd do the 200k for 200,000 damage change
    this is about making old content more relevant

level 85 heroic DW gear would be better than level 90 heroic blues when they squish

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    It wouldn't make older gear more valuable.
    not this fucking shit again
    they're not just changing the fucking numbers, i can't believe you people still don't understand this shit
    they specifically said what they want to change, they're NOT CHANGING EVERYTHING
    stat budgets would also still be in effect, so it would take about 13 ilvls for a green to be worth more than a lower ilvl blue
    a 20 blue = 33 green

so it's about a tier's difference between green and blue, or blue and purple

it wouldn't make post-vanilla content harder at level than it was originally since characters are more powerful and they have tuned fights to be MUCH more forgiving at level, but you aren't soloing heroic 25m ICC or cata content anymore when they squish, it would take a few people
    they want everything to progress on the same line as 1-60 does

and they're going to do this, it is the best thing for wow. it slows progress down when it comes to transmog, mount farming, etc
    they should have done this in 5.0
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2013-04-03 at 02:37 PM.

look at it this way, less numbers equals less network data, thus decreasing a lot of network lag on blizzards servers, our internet, and improvements to peoples PC's performance in raids, pvp, and dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the squish would be EVERYTHING. It has to come at some point. Otherwise a lvl 95 would have 1M hp and level 85 just 1/10th of that. They need to back down to lvl 60 and bring everything up in increments of 2K. So you would go from 8K hp to 18K at 70, 28K at 80, 38K at 90. And then squish all of the bosses back down to 400K-3M. It would go a long way to resolving the gaps between levels, bring power back into moderation, and would essentially make level cap players 5 times stronger at level cap rather than 500 times. A lvl 60 might even hold his own against a 90 in a duel Just my opinion of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    i rather want em do somethin actually useful, i couldnt care less if i hit 100 or 10000 and reduce 10% of a target
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by dejaa View Post
    A pure, mathematical squish shouldn't make anything easier or harder, just scale the numbers so they have a whole lot fewer zeros on the right side. I'd like to see that happen, but I don't trust blizzard to not stick a major player nerf in there. So, I'd vote for leaving it alone.
    squish isn't happening 1-90 and if it did, you'd be exactly where you are now with smaller numbers, same scale. that literally defeats the purpose
    squish would be bc-mop content, vanilla unchanged and used as the model for 58-90

gear gap is a huge problem right now in pvp, season old gear = might as well be naked, it's the most obvious place to see the problem

Getting stronger is fine, everyone wants that.
    Exponential growth within an expansion is needed to really convey the feel of getting more powerful gear.
    Exponential growth across the board is overkill for me. I always feel silly when I go down to MC, that was a 40 man raid, and have more HP than the bosses there.
    There are a lot of things that make you stronger while leveling. Silly gear inflation does not need to be one of them.

We'll keep the exponential power curve within expansions, just flatten the curve to a steady line behind the current expansion. They have all sorts of tech that would allow us to continue solo everything we can today, although personally I'd like to have more challenge soloing old stuff, and not kill old bosses in 3 gcd.

Quote Originally Posted by Liax View Post
    look at it this way, less numbers equals less network data,
    Run a sniffer and see how much data WoW sends.

thus decreasing a lot of network lag on blizzards servers
    False. If you know any programming language you can test it yourself if you want.

our internet
    See point 1.

and improvements to peoples PC's performance in raids, pvp, and dungeons.
    Calculations are done Server side and see point 2.
    Last edited by Thyranne; 2013-04-03 at 02:46 PM.

As long as I can still solo certain old content then fine, but I don't really mind the big numbers either, so I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liax View Post
    look at it this way, less numbers equals less network data, thus decreasing a lot of network lag on blizzards servers, our internet, and improvements to peoples PC's performance in raids, pvp, and dungeons.
    that has nothing to do with it at all. it never will. we aren't playing on abaci

the point is to make it so you and your friends have to form a group to take out old content for transmog, mounts, pets, etc
    everything they do to slow you down makes content last longer
    content consumption is way too high right now and everything you can do solo makes it worse

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    Getting stronger is fine, everyone wants that.
    Exponential growth within an expansion is needed to really convey the feel of getting more powerful gear.
    Exponential growth across the board is overkill for me. I always feel silly when I go down to MC, that was a 40 man raid, and have more HP than the bosses there.
    There are a lot of things that make you stronger while leveling. Silly gear inflation does not need to be one of them.

We'll keep the exponential power curve within expansions, just flatten the curve to a steady line behind the current expansion. They have all sorts of tech that would allow us to continue solo everything we can today, although personally I'd like to have more challenge soloing old stuff, and not kill old bosses in 3 gcd.
    once again, they do not want a curve for expansions. they said it was a mistake to do it for bc. the point in mentioning this in cata was to prepare people when they retune everything in 6.0. the curve is the problem
    clothies in late bc had as much HP as full naxx tanks did at 60. they don't want that.

I would like number squish, numbers sub 100k are more aesthetically pleasing imo.

"Holy crap dude 30k crit" sounds more reasonable than "wow 500,000,000,000 noncrit? Monks damage blows ass" :P
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    the curve is the problem clothies in late bc had as much HP as full naxx tanks did at 60. they don't want that.
    Exactly, they saw what happened in early wrath with people clearing naxx with T5/6 gear, that's not right.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

The only problem is that a number crunch would mean rebalancing every fight, mob, piece of gear and spell in the game. It appears to be a massive undertaking for a primarily cosmetic change.