A strange demotivation of not playing D3

I recently started playing again, since i want too try out the new monster density. which was surprisnly good, allthough act4 still need more elites in the first session.

i really have somekind of passion for this game, i hate and love it at the same time. but im still looking forward too changed in the future. But there is actually ONE thing that bothers me so much, that it really demotivate me too play the game.

for example tonight i was logging on and seeing my friend still playing, he started d3 a few month ago. i checked hes profile and saw that he has amazing gear, like waay better than me, i my playtime was maybe 500hours, and hes was only 150hours. he had bought alot of gold from AH since he couldnt find any good. so now he decided too buy like 80% of the gear from ah.

After that, and reading of all those ppl that actually buy gold. i totally lost my motivation for playing the game. seeing that i can maybe farm 1mil gold/hour and then watch ppl buy 10mil gold for like 82cent, is just somehow frustration. I know it dosent afffect my own gameplay, but it somehow still do. because everything is so expensive now, that there is no chance for me too buy anything good on AH, because those that do buy gold, has raised the prices so much that the ecomomy is broken.

whats the point in playing the game if you can just buy everything from AH/buy gold

Anyone else than me whos been demotivated buy this feeling of the game??

Thanks
    Last edited by Schalde; 2013-05-15 at 09:36 AM.

A lot of the high feeling of success is being able to lord it over those who are less successful.

That demotivation to play d3 that you're feeling is the flaccid state of your epeen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    A lot of the high feeling of success is being able to lord it over those who are less successful.

That demotivation to play d3 that you're feeling is the flaccid state of your epeen.
    lol and ouch at the same time.....but yeh I agree with this.

Don't compare yourself to others and the game is a lot more fun.
    If the AH didn't exist (people would not be able to compare themselves as easily) and the game would be more fun (also because then the droprate of good items would likely increase to make up for the lack of the AH (like on the ps3 version)

YOU KNOW WHAT!!!

stop playing diablo 3 and wait til it is released on ps3/ps4 and get it for that!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

OP, this is what I've been saying since the AH was announced. It trivializes and ruins the game.

And just because I know Ben Bos will come and say "don't like the AH, don't use it" I will say for the 100th time: The whole game and it's loot system was built and tuned around the AH.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

One reason that why Diablo 2 was so successful, was trading. Lot's of people refuse to believe it, but the Auction House really did ruin Diablo 3.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

I would be all in favor of buying gold if it didn't inflate the economy to the point that people who didn't choose to buy it were unable to afford anything on the AH.

Unfortunately blizzard tends to fail in this aspect by not setting maximum transaction limits for currency exchange in any of their games.

Eventually it will get to the point you will see items selling for more gold than you could legitimately obtain in a several month period and the number of hacked accounts will increase simply to provide the playerbase with what they think they need. (just like what happened with warcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    One reason that why Diablo 2 was so successful, was trading. Lot's of people refuse to believe it, but the Auction House really did ruin Diablo 3.
    So you preferred to sit in the chat channel and spam "WTB (item)" for 2 hours instead of just going to the AH and buying it? Because that's really the only difference between D2 and D3. That and D2 had no set currency system; there were HR's and SoJ's, yes, but there was no set value for them and the price could be haggled up or down.

The AH itself is not bad, it's just too efficient at what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    I got new spark in the game thanks to http://d3.shantalya.de/hc-challenge/
    Anyone wants to do some EU random with me?
    I have my own custom rule, use gold from alts but buy only gems from AH

The problem with the D3 economy is that inflation on well rolled items is so insane. How long would it realistically take to farm 1 billion gold? And from what I hear perfect items sell for 20 to 30 billion gold, but it might take thousands of players months to generate one of these items. Perhaps the whole point of the game was to create a giant lottery ticket generator, but a core problem is that there is no consistency. Im sure that much of the gold was generated early on, and then later they decided to buff legendary items, which severely devalued the prior BiS items. You cannot expect to have a non crazy economy when you start changing things like this.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    The problem with the D3 economy is that inflation on well rolled items is so insane. How long would it realistically take to farm 1 billion gold? And from what I hear perfect items sell for 20 to 30 billion gold, but it might take thousands of players months to generate one of these items. Perhaps the whole point of the game was to create a giant lottery ticket generator, but a core problem is that there is no consistency. Im sure that much of the gold was generated early on, and then later they decided to buff legendary items, which severely devalued the prior BiS items. You cannot expect to have a non crazy economy when you start changing things like this.
    you mean 20 to 30 million, as the AH's max buyout is 2b. Now Items can be sold for more than 2b, but that's if your actually going to trade with some one instead of using the ah. Check out this youtube video of a streamer that got banned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZidgohZaws. Fairly certain on the 2billion max as I think he mentions it some where in the video (watched this after I saw his I got banned video while looking for more info on what people actually did during the exploits up time)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post

whats the point in playing the game if you can just buy everything from AH/buy gold

NB: I will soon make a post too give my prediction what will change this game into some great again.

Thanks
    Everyones not the same, I have friends that buy gold to gear up toons quick. 1 of my friends has 4 toons are all paragon level 80+ with crazy gear on all of them. I dont see why that should effect my game. He comes in and games out for time to time and hes a blast to play with. Why should i care about what he spends his money on. Even better why is that any of my bussness? Simple - its not.

I see alot of people go on about dudes that buy stuff off the AH. Its hilarious how nobody at all cares about the guys that use packet editing, Bots and hacks that cheat the game. they get gear doing nothing. At lease the people buying from the AH are paying and are legit.

"whats the point in playing the game if you can just buy everything from AH/buy gold" You cant look at it like this, Thats like me saying " What the point in me playing? I am never going to be #1" The thing is - is that game is about what you want and nothing more. Who cares if your friends use the RHAM there are you friends right? That means them using the RMAH is beneficial to you because when you game with them it makes your games alot more easy.

You might come back saying " I dont want my friends thinking i am a noob that wants to be carryed!" No real friend is ever going to think that and if you do have a so-called friend that used the RMAH gained power and let it take over then he/she did you a favor. you dont need to be playing with people like that. D3 is not a world tournament, Its a game - 1 you should enjoy and take at your own pace. I never used the AH i putt in 1517 hours into the game. I got rich just playing.
    its just luck. the only time you really lose is when you quit.
    Last edited by Jaroko; 2013-05-10 at 04:33 PM.
    " The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, Therefore he who has no fear of god has no wisdom "
    People saying we are in the end-times really don't know anything. Such as there's going to be 7 years of world peace before it happens and as long as china and russia are still a thing its safe to say its not going to happen anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost my motivation during one of the following:

- The realization that the storyline was the most ridiculous story in a top selling game to ever be released.
    - Itemization is still stupid. I have no problem grinding for gear but what I do have a problem with is relying on RNG. You could play for 10k Elite kills and never find a single usable item for any class, or you could find some Godly Mempo on your very first inferno mob kill.
    - The terrible story is forced, you can't bounce between acts and it's so much less of a world than it is a linear storytelling nightmare. Not only that, but there's no option to skip the annoying automatic cutscenes. I know you can Press Escape, but who the hell wants to continue watching them after beating Inferno?

The damage to this game has been done.. I don't honestly know that an Itemization revamp will bring people back. Sure, some might visit for a while, but they'll get bored and stop playing just like last they already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post

No, not so much any longer. If the AH ruins the game for you, then do not use it. Play the game without it and try to survive with the gear that you find. People do this and some find the game to be much better for it. Alternately play on the HC side where your character cannot be resurrected when you die. The gear you collect along the way stays with you (minus the gear you are wearing when you die) so the next character you create will be able to have it a little easier, make it a little farther, etc.

But again, if the AH ruins the experience, simply avoid using it. One thing is for certain, once you do begin to buy gear from it, the actual minor thrill of getting a good drop goes away pretty much forever.

The point of playing the game is to play the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem, as I've stated before, is that the game punishes you for playing the game, while people who aren't playing get rewarded. Itemization is terrible, and there's no way to consistently gain money. Whereas the people who AH flip or use the RMAH are rolling around in top-end gear with less than a quarter of the work put into the actual game.

It's not an e-peen thing, nor is it jealousy over others' gear that doesn't affect me. It's actually wanting to play the game but not getting anywhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The problem, as I've stated before, is that the game punishes you for playing the game, while people who aren't playing get rewarded. Itemization is terrible, and there's no way to consistently gain money. Whereas the people who AH flip or use the RMAH are rolling around in top-end gear with less than a quarter of the work put into the actual game.

It's not an e-peen thing, nor is it jealousy over others' gear that doesn't affect me. It's actually wanting to play the game but not getting anywhere.
    To be honest, I usually dont like your posts (nothing personal, you cant please everyone). But this post right here sums up this entire discussion. Theres really not much more to say.

But lets be honest here. Everyone should have known this game was pay-to-win long before it even went live.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    you mean 20 to 30 million, as the AH's max buyout is 2b. Now Items can be sold for more than 2b, but that's if your actually going to trade with some one instead of using the ah. Check out this youtube video of a streamer that got banned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZidgohZaws. Fairly certain on the 2billion max as I think he mentions it some where in the video (watched this after I saw his I got banned video while looking for more info on what people actually did during the exploits up time)
    He doesn't mean 20 to 30 million, the fact is perfect items are NOT going to be traded via the AH simply because of that 2b limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.