Poll: Do you read and learn the boss mechanics from the Dungeon Journal before new bosses?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Also the assumption that lfr raiders who don't read the journal are carried.
    Arent they though? When you go into a fight not knowing how to tie your shoes, you are just flat out being carried, no matter how you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Arent they though? When you go into a fight not knowing how to tie your shoes, you are just flat out being carried, no matter how you slice it.
    No, thats not true at all. Plenty of raiders don't need to read the dungeon journal to realize that they need to get out of raid with charges or to not stand in fire and they usually are the ones on top of the charts due to raiding experience. You can read the dungeon journal all day doesn't mean you will do the mechanics correctly.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't ask "Do you go into LFR without knowing the mechanics?", though. You asked "Do you read the Dungeon Journal first?" You can learn the mechanics without reading the Dungeon Journal.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course I look at the dungeon journal.

How else can I quickly get a summary of which boss has which spec/class specific loot so I know which one to spend the 3 coins on each week?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    No, thats not true at all. Plenty of raiders don't need to read the dungeon journal to realize that they need to get out of raid with charges or to not stand in fire and they usually are the ones on top of the charts due to raiding experience. You can read the dungeon journal all day doesn't mean you will do the mechanics correctly.
    Case in point: LFR Durumu

Look at the outcry of all the LFR heroes who couldnt "move out of the fire"

Your argument is nill.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 06:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    You didn't ask "Do you go into LFR without knowing the mechanics?", though. You asked "Do you read the Dungeon Journal first?" You can learn the mechanics without reading the Dungeon Journal.
    after several attempts, yes, you can learn the mechanics. Trial and error, this i know.

Your argument is nill.

after several attempts, yes, you can learn the mechanics. Trial and error, this i know.
    No it is not Nill, they make look at the mechanics but still not be able to execute and be carried by the ones who haven't even glanced at the dungeon journal due to raiding experience and reacting to fire better.

Your Argument is nill.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Your argument is nill.

Or you could have groups like I had, where we were all new to Durumu, quite a few of us had a look at the abilities, had a chat, went in, half the raid died to beam, we got up adjusted things and made things clearer, went back and nailed him on our 2nd try, and had a blast doing it. Just because there are tons of folks complaining on the forums, there are probably tons more that managed it without complaint.

I also find your terms *LFR Heroes* insulting, and derogatory, your arrogance is showing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't mean trial and error, I mean reading strategies, watching videos, talking to other people about the fight beforehand. The Dungeon Journal is only one tool among many that can tell you about an encounter before you even enter the raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a post here on MMO the day the 3rd section opened about how to do bosses 7-9 on LFR that discussed strategies and whatnot. Which means you could understand the strategies without "trial and erroring" it (Although nothing beats seeing it in person) and without reading the journal.

BTW, the journal is just a dry listing of abilities. It doesn't necessarily give you the strategy on how to deal with things, just a rough idea of things that will get thrown at you.

But, then you wouldn't be Jaylock if you weren't ultra-literal black & white guy.

Your argument is nill.

You sound like an elitist, an a bit of a jerk.

I rarely ever look at the Dungeon Journal and I have never really had any problems learning mechanics (or in this case getting out of the fire). Each case should be evaluated on an individual level, did they stand in the fire because they didn't notice? did they purposely stand in the fire? Were they AFK?

Making a general statement about using/not using the dungeon journal to prove someone died because they weren't prepared is ludicrous

10+ Year Old Account
    I read it for the interesting lore, none of these choices apply to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    No, I don't mean trial and error, I mean reading strategies, watching videos, talking to other people about the fight beforehand. The Dungeon Journal is only one tool among many that can tell you about an encounter before you even enter the raid.
    I'm not sure where the disconnect was, but you and I essentially agree. You can read strats, watch videos, and other stuff to learn the encounters, except, thats not what I am asking in this thread. It is whether or not people read the dungeon journal to help them with bosses before the attempt them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where the disconnect was, but you and I essentially agree. You can read strats, watch videos, and other stuff to learn the encounters, except, thats not what I am asking in this thread. It is whether or not people read the dungeon journal to help them with bosses before the attempt them.
    The issue people are having is with your poll, which is specifically referencing the Dungeon Journal. I'll see if I can get someone to edit it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I read tactics and/or watch a video, which is far better than reading a bloated list of ability names and effects. Just look at Council and its ridiculously long dungeon journal entry, yet the fight can be summed up so much faster.

Didn't vote, the "No, I rely on my raidleader and videos" came closest but not close enough

Didn't realize you changed the poll option. Deleted in case you changed it before I even posted @@
    On topic, for HoF and ToES LFR I went for the 1 min videos..
    Last edited by Basemath; 2013-04-09 at 07:14 PM.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Deleted
    For non-LFR raids I check other sources for info.
    I often check bosses I haven't seen at all while in the queue for LFR...

I don't think I've ever checked the Dungeon Journal, largely because I often forget the Dungeon Journal exists. Before every boss fight, I read the comments on Wowhead. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's an example of how the poll possibly should have been worded:

1) Do you read guides, watch videos, look at dungeon journal, attempt to have some minimal cursory knowledge before attempting a new boss fight
    2) Do you go into it cold with no preparation and try to wing it, or at most a brief pre-pull overview of what to do from raid leaders/people that know the fights

But, then it wouldn't be a Jaylock poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Here's an example of how the poll possibly should have been worded:

1) Do you read guides, watch videos, look at dungeon journal, attempt to have some minimal cursory knowledge before attempting a new boss fight
    2) Do you go into it cold with no preparation and try to wing it, or at most a brief pre-pull overview of what to do from raid leaders/people that know the fights

But, then it wouldn't be a Jaylock poll.
    Eh the people who already voted are probably gone, and the newcomers don't know what you're talking about, what with the new super objective poll n all.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally I watch boss guides videos or read more comprehensive written strategies when preparing for normal raiding. I don't use the journal for much more than "what was that ability called again?" or "how much damage does Spell X do on 10man?"

The journal isn't intended to tell players what they should do; the point of it is to tell you what the boss does. So while it's useful for clarifying (or linking) the details of particular boss abilities, I don't expect the average person to read the journal and suddenly realise the comprehensive strategy for attacking the fight.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |