Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Very few former wow fans can resist a new wow expansion or at least look into it, so if they keep the games quality up, keep updating the graphics/engine I don't see how it's going to die. Blizzard still even support WC3 which has been around for even longer.

The only thing I can see that would wreck it was if they went to a f2p model in order to move players into a new game of theirs and the quality dropped due to lack of funds or something but I can't see them doing something so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Best game, or best at making us addicted?
    Addiction is a made up term to describe one's lack of self control. The only reason it exists is people don't want to find blame in themselves.

Anyway, wow probaly is the best game ever made, whether or not people are addicted to it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Addiction is a made up term to describe one's lack of self control.
    All nouns are made up terms to describe something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...n-subscribers/

This was an article about this and RPS guys have always been pretty hard on Blizzard as well.
    While his numbers are a bit off in regards to the subscription revenue, I am glad to see people being able to analyze a game they do not actually like in a fair manner. The writer certainly got my respect.

---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Addiction is a made up term to describe one's lack of self control. The only reason it exists is people don't want to find blame in themselves.

Anyway, wow probaly is the best game ever made, whether or not people are addicted to it.
    Addiction is a very real thing in subjects like Psychology. However, those people are always the outliers and not the norm. If they were not, it would be like saying that most people drinking alcohol are alcoholics, which is not actually true (even though people can drink too much at times).

Though, in regards to your example, yes, the term is used in an incorrect manner.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-04-17 at 11:20 AM.

Deleted
    Well yes , in terms of online gaming wow is probably one of the best.

I still play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwHe4lO8as and other stuff too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    CS 1.6 still being played feels unreal in comparison.
    Agree, people still play it even with all the new versions.

Anyway i play since 2005 or so, that s what 8 years now ?
    I ve taken breaks every year, the longest being in 2008: around 6 months, and last year about 6 months again. 2005-2007 i played almost every day in a internet cafe, around 10-15 hours every day with breaks on some weekends and when i absoultely couldnt miss college.

Deleted
    It is insane how long it's lasted but a general decrease in popularity and subscriptions has been on the agenda the last 15 months or so, but that doesn't in anyway mean it'll just wear away and vanish I think it will stabilize at set amount of subs and just stay there. So if Stable Subs >= Blizzard's Income Beings Profitable then I think the servers will stay online till.. well, you tell me.

I think the important thing to be baffled about is, people are still playing a game that is 8 years old, AND they have to pay for it every month. That is the truely remarkable thing you should take away from this. I can't think of anything that you could compare with WoW in that respect. The sports comparisons are a bit silly. And other MMO's or games don't cost their players a monthly fee.

People still play Tennis, think about it - the game has been out since the 12th century. It is the 21st century now and millions of people still play Tennis. UNBELIEVABLE.

I wonder how much longer it will last? I'd say... a few more centuries.

I think the reason people are amazed about WoW is not that it still alive but the fact that it still holds very high amount of playerbase. Which game has been able to on top of a certain genre for so long in both popularity and arguable quality? not much I guess. This is simply not comparable to games like Ultima or EQ in scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    All nouns are made up terms to describe something.
    Screen shot taken for posterity... awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrapper View Post
    Blizzard will continue to make expansions until they see people losing interest, at that point they will make a final expansion which will contain Sargares as the final boss. When WoW is done they'll come with small patches some times, not as often as before... So, I think most people are going to end up on private servers. Also, ''Project Titans'' might be digging a grave for World of Warcraft right now as I write.
    Different IP, different game so no it shouldn't be the "wow killer".
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    But if they do come back, wont that say they are somewhat addicted? If they played the game, grew tired of it and quit, why would they pay the fee and come back, as they allready have grown tired of it once..?
    Not really. People do it with anything: they do something for a while, get bored and try a new hobby, then go back to the prior hobby when it's interesting again. For example, I recently started a new game on Skyrim. Am I addicted to that just because I went back to it? Not really, I just wanted to play it again.

WoW actually encourages this sort of behaviour too, with it's updates every few months. People will play, get bored, then in a few months hear about this awesome new patch coming out soon. They'll remember the good times, then install/update the game and play again for a bit. It's just what people do. No addiction there.

The fun part, when I ask people this question; "is WoW a good game, or an addictive one", people tend to bend away from the question it self, and claim they are not addicted to it, though I did not ask if that person was addicted. I just want to know if people think WoW is a good game, compared to Skyrim and Bioshock (as examples, first games that came to mind)
    Not trying to start an argument or anything btw, just curious about what people think. As it pops up new thread about how awefull WoW is everyday because of pandas or whatever.
    That's an unfortunate symptom of forum culture. As in: 'if you disagree with me, there's a reason why, and usually it's because you're a worse person than me'. People cannot simply disagree because they're different people; they disagree because one person is enlightened and the other is just an addict, or ignorant, or stupid, or whatever.

As a result of this culture, people feel the need to defend themselves when they're not necessarily getting attacked. They feel the need to clarify their true stance, to prevent anyone from even considering any incorrect assumptions about them. You're doing it yourself, even, with the line 'not trying to start an argument or anything btw'. Because subconsciously you worried that someone could try to dismiss you as a troll, so you felt the need to clarify your true stance on the issue.

This isn't a bad thing in itself, but it does create some different assumptions e.g. as you seem to be implying, they 'doth protest too much' and implicate themselves in the crime of being addicted. So hey. We're all just going to make a bunch of assumptions at the end of the day.

wow isnt dying anytime soon, and though several times ive thought about just leaving i do have some fun with the game...besides the following...

1. blizzard seems to have made the game for casuals yes, but raids these days feel more geared towards proffesional players, even down to the pvp, currently your running into older gladiators when you hit a rating of 1600, as for the pve aspect..you tell me why theres so much epic QQ about horridon,council,tortos and apparently garalon.

2. LFR has this new buff determination...what if you joined a pug that was so bad they wiped 6 times before the 1st determination buff? yeah its happened..3 good dps carried a bunch of people who apparently got a 480 item level and cant pull more than 40k between 7 of them.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Whenever people are surprised that WoW is still going, I just smile and link this Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_online

Considering its peak was 250,000 subs and it's still active, WoW's peak of roughly 12 million will logically mean the game will keep going on for decades. Not 6 years. Not even 15. Decades.
    And to know that several thousand players will be playing for as long as this game runs -- and yes, I agree it'll be decades -- is a sad thought. Waste their whole lives on this game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Different IP, different game so no it shouldn't be the "wow killer".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7fBjaa0odE Don't ever forget.

WoW died already .. like 8 times by far !!!!!!1111

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    OP....I have and play a functioning atari 2600 and Colecovision. Yah. Zaxxon ftw!
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Wotlk before cataclysm was a horrible combination. Even if cata wasn't horrible, wotlk was so succesfull at being epic cata would be considered horrible anyway. Without that combination the game wouldn't lose so many players to league of legends and we would be even more surprised right now..
    I am glad they played it safe with mop, we all saw how it ends up when they make promises of epic things so it's best that they released an expansion without that much hype.

P.S: Wow is absolutely addicting ; but when you go play 15 hours of lol instead of wow you don't get to say that wow is addicting.. it just sounds pathetic that way.
    Last edited by Rorschachs; 2013-04-17 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    And to know that several thousand players will be playing for as long as this game runs -- and yes, I agree it'll be decades -- is a sad thought. Waste their whole lives on this game.
    Yeah, they should waste their lives working, going to de gym or doing much healthier things like getting drunk every weekend.

I think too many people waste their lives worrying about what other people think or do. Like the OP, for instance.

For all you who claim the sports analogies are invalid. How about Tetris? Solitaire? Poker (digital or not)? Bejeweled (or a derivative thereof)?

Popular games that some people enjoy playing remains popular for a long time. It's hardly mind-blowing information.