Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whats the difference between Forsaken and rampant scourge?

Lately I was wondering if their is a difference between Forsaken undead and Scourge undead, but not just any scourge; the leaderless scourge.
    So we ignore Uther and don't replace the Lich King. Supposedly this would mean annihilation for Azeroth as we need a Jailor of the damned to keep the scourge in check.

But I thought the Forsaken were scourge who broke free from the LK.
    They don't seem that dangerous.
    Also, wouldn't it be better to have Bolvar be like Sylvanas as in a leader leading the scourge not to destroy Azeroth but for some other cause. Why can't he do that? Instead he just sits there frozen in ice?

Anyone?
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

isnt it obvious? they serve the horde

Leaderless scourge is mindless, disorganised bunch of ghouls and zombies that can only ambush fringe settlements without siege weapons to assault fortified settlements and necromancers to reanimate the fallen.

Whole "there must be a lich king" is a bullshit made by Metzen after he saw certain pirate movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    Lately I was wondering if their is a difference between Forsaken undead and Scourge undead, but not just any scourge; the leaderless scourge.
    So we ignore Uther and don't replace the Lich King. Supposedly this would mean annihilation for Azeroth as we need a Jailor of the damned to keep the scourge in check.

But I thought the Forsaken were scourge who broke free from the LK.
    They don't seem that dangerous.
    Also, wouldn't it be better to have Bolvar be like Sylvanas as in a leader leading the scourge not to destroy Azeroth but for some other cause. Why can't he do that? Instead he just sits there frozen in ice?

Anyone?
    Don't seem that dangerous? did you not see southshore plauged up to it's eyeballs? Humans burried in the earth, valkyr raising soldiers from the dead to make new forsaken?? we should have a new crusade on them...

Deleted
    The answer to your last question is that the Scourge have to be kept in check (by Bolvar), I think it's fair to see it as a form of mind control that has to be constantly maintained, and is most likely very taxing for Bolvar. Actually commanding to do something concrete rather than just 'holding them back' is probably not an option. As for your first paragraph, no idea. I'm not entirely certain under which circumstances the Forsaken broke free from the Lich King.

10+ Year Old Account
    The danger doesn't come from them breaking free it comes from someone more competent taking control.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    The scourge's original design was to "destroy Azeroth", besides he is the "Jailor of the damned" while he is "frozen in ice".

What the scourge will do next depends on Bolvar (and blizzard's story department.)

But besides, Sylvanas took the undead to be her warriors in a cause for revenge she wanted(Kill arthas), then she wanted to make sure the undead were not to be eradicated, to guarantee said safety, she took most of Lordaeron.
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    Don't seem that dangerous? did you not see southshore plauged up to it's eyeballs? Humans burried in the earth, valkyr raising soldiers from the dead to make new forsaken?? we should have a new crusade on them...
    Sorry, should have mentioned, leaderless Forsaken.
    United under 1 leader I am sure the Forsaken and scourge are very dangerous. But without a leader they seem like cannonfodder?
    (maybe I've seen to many zombie movies)
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Leaderless scourge is mindless, disorganised bunch of ghouls and zombies that can only ambush fringe settlements without siege weapons to assault fortified settlements and necromancers to reanimate the fallen.

Whole "there must be a lich king" is a bullshit made by Metzen after he saw certain pirate movie.
    Exactly my thoughts on the subject. What a terrible way to end a great expansion.

the scourge overwrites the will of it's members. they all serve the will of their master.

as for the forsaken, free will is a paragon of their culture.

everything else is about the same, though
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    The Forsaken are in control of the terrible things they do.

Deleted
    They are much more sentient than the scourge, they are calculating and inherently cruel most of the scourge had no minds at all and did what their superiors told them to do. The forsaken seem to have politicians, civilians, public services and several towns, villages and a city so that, in my eyes qualifies them as a recognisable nation and people. They also can be negotiated and bartered with, to some it all up control is what separate the forsaken and rampant scourge.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is that the mindless Scourge under the Lich King's control would not regain their minds, and would simply become a ravening horde of undead destroying everything in their path. The Horde and Alliance in Northrend were already badly mauled by the Scourge - if they'd been unleashed fully, the whole land would belong to the undead. And who knows how much command the unbound Scourge would have over their more complex powers like the necropoli - they might have been able to instinctively direct them at other lands to seek out more living.

Bolvar is now the custodian of tremendous amounts of dark power. The Lich King's crown may not contain the personalities of Arthas or Ner'zhul anymore, but it is still immense and evil and such power would inevitably corrupt the user if it were given free reign. Hence Bolvar is forcing it to be dormant and putting himself into slumber.

10+ Year Old Account
    The forsaken know what there doing, in every action they take, and on an individual level. The scourge were just mindless drones with no free will following a tyrant.
    Now you could argue that sylvanas is the tyrant and the forsaken as the scourge, no, they forsaken are just following there leader who commands them, the exact the thing every other racial leader does with there people and how they lead them.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    The Forsaken are in control of the terrible things they do.
    And that's why we love them.
    OT: Scourge is basically reduced to roarming around in northrend posing no threat to anyone. Without one big figure to controll, the biggest threat they can pose is some random lich gathering few followers and shooting a party on nearest graveyard. In that case bring glowsticks and party hard with them.

Forsaken have ambitions and thoughts of their own, the scourge Metzen described, would be utterly mindless attacking anything, which is quite the plothole if you ask me.

But meh maybe they adress it properly in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to keep in mind that the scourge was more than a mindless army of undead. There was a huge following of living, willing followers. The Cult of the Damned and its necromancers were not mind controlled. They willingly followed the Lich Kings plans, they chose to hand their own kingdoms over to the scourge by choice in exchange for immortality through undeath. These people don't vanish when he dies, they would continue the work.

Then there are the dreadlords who happen to be master necromancers capable of taking control of and raising more undead. The choices would be to either assign a "jailer" or try to wipe out all the scourge and cult one by one.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post

Anyone?
    gotta give him some leeway brah
    He is still tryin to get the ropes over the whole being Lich King thing

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    These people don't vanish when he dies, they would continue the work..
    wstn it stated somewhere that a lot of the Cult of the Damned remnants later joined the Twilight Cult?
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post

wstn it stated somewhere that a lot of the Cult of the Damned remnants later joined the Twilight Cult?
    Not that I've ever heard. They only show up in the plaguelands in Cata where they are continuing to try to spread the plague and raise undead. They haven't stopped even with a new Lich King, they just have a smaller army to work with.

I've never really been able to buy the 'there must always be a lich king or the undead will destroy Azeroth!' They'd be unorganized. Chatoic. Possibly killing eachother as well. How could they traverse seas etc? It just feels like a lazy way to keep the scourge around because god forbid it be dismantled. Imo Bolvar should just round them all up for firing squads to whittle away at until scourge is gone.

As for why they don't become Forsaken, well I can only guess that only those with strong enough wills are able to 'awaken' when the control of the lich king is weakened/removed, and most remain mindless.
    Last edited by Florena; 2013-04-21 at 09:19 PM.