Thread: Mage stupidness

Mage stupidness

Ok, here is my problem.

I was on flag-guarding duty today (and many times before), but tonight a rogue managed twice to cap the flag

Of course, it starts with a sap, i trinket it, he blinds me (i guess) and i cant attack him, nor can my pet and he caps.

This is the first time this happend to me. Have i always been lucky or has anything changed and what am i doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ice block please

Get a rogue to help you defend? You could ice block blind or have your pet freeze him but he'll probably sprint+cloak away.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't your pet attack him? You can still give commands to your pet when you are CC'd. You can also IB out of blind.

Or don't stand close enough to the flag for him to sap/cap you. If you stand away in the time it takes him to sap and run to the flag and start capping you will come out of sap before he finishes. Smokebomb does not last long enough to cover him either.

Or just use your pet since the reason you are guarding is because you have two blocks, pet, trinket to stop caps.

Your positioning is total shit. If you are closer than 35yds to the flag, you're too close. If your'e within 15 you can be sapped and he can cap before you can get out of it and if he's smart, he'll just vanish when you iceblock and sap/cap later.

Not even melee should stand on a flag to guard it, it just gets in the fucking way of any help you may have. Hell I've sapped and capped with 2 people on the flag because of the way you can see folks open the map now, when one guy opens the map I sap his partner and stand right on him as I cap and if someone isn't paying good attention, and anyone with a map open isn't, then at the very least it's a cheap cap to slow points production.

this is quite literally the oldest trick in the book. you are living under a rock.

Deleted
    i counter this by standing a bit away from the flag, but still in sight and close enough to get to fast, but just far away enough that they cant sap then cap it, seems to work for me so far.

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by manipulation View Post
    Your positioning is total shit. If you are closer than 35yds to the flag, you're too close. If your'e within 15 you can be sapped and he can cap before you can get out of it and if he's smart, he'll just vanish when you iceblock and sap/cap later.

Not even melee should stand on a flag to guard it, it just gets in the fucking way of any help you may have. Hell I've sapped and capped with 2 people on the flag because of the way you can see folks open the map now, when one guy opens the map I sap his partner and stand right on him as I cap and if someone isn't paying good attention, and anyone with a map open isn't, then at the very least it's a cheap cap to slow points production.

yes! i love that they have that map animation now, stealth capped so many bases on my rogue because you see the person with the map out lol

i love how no one has told him not to trinket sap yet....
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

Unsure if serious, but forums are really for the readers, who outnumber the OP anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by Knysbart View Post
    Ok, here is my problem.

Of course, it starts with a sap, i trinket it,
    You should not trinket sap. If you are standing DIRECTLY on the flag, a sap could result in a cap. However, a frost mage has a pet, and the pet will interrupt. Be sure to have the pet attack bound. The pet root, failing that, should also interrupt.

The more salient point is, do not start directly next to the flag. If you aren't in range of sap (which exceeds melee range slightly), then your sap will wear off before he is done capping.

he blinds me (i guess) and i cant attack him, nor can my pet and he caps.
    If you are caught without your trinket, an iceblock can escape every single thing a rogue can do. If you then cancelaura (your block button should likely be bound to do this if pressed again), you can attack with icelance, pom polymorph, whatever.

However, merely typing /petattack with the rogue targeted will ALSO fix this issue.

This is the first time this happend to me. Have i always been lucky or has anything changed and what am i doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Don't stand close to flag, have petattack bound, have trinket and also iceblock. The only way a rogue should solocap versus a frost mage is if he soloes the mage. That the rogue would even try this is actually surprising- I would never sap a mage, think "he'll probably trinket and not know how to use a pet", start capping, then blow blind on the continued unlikely situation that the mage pet won't cast at me. The rogue misplayed pretty heavily :P

*crawling out under his rock*

Thanks a lot, folks, for all your answers. You quite helped me a lot!

Special thanks to fellow, for making your account just to blame me.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRONIClinex View Post
    i love how no one has told him not to trinket sap yet....
    Exactly what I was thinking, stay X yards away from the flag so X class cant CC & cap.... as a rogue you barely have enough time to sap & cap, if the defender is far enough, but within fair range of the flag the rogue's sap will run out & you can do a quick icelance or other instantcast

Tbh the solution is even more simple then many suggested becouse rogue most likely droped glyphed smokebomb denying pet from casting. So here it comes: put pet on hold ground near flag so even if rogue bombs on him pet will attack inside it.

P.S. Rest sruff like stay further from flag, use block etc. works too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't trinket sap, like ever lol

it's hilarious, because i actually did

As others have stated, trinket on sap is a major no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i counter this by standing a bit away from the flag, but still in sight and close enough to get to fast, but just far away enough that they cant sap then cap it, seems to work for me so far.

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 09:03 PM ----------

yes! i love that they have that map animation now, stealth capped so many bases on my rogue because you see the person with the map out lol
    I guess I'll do /read while defending flags from now on, and get ninjas like you
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne