Poll: Do U.S. states have their own culture/identity?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Why do you think there's so much more crime in big cities!? Man was not meant to live surrounded by concrete and steel!
    Karl Marx actually said the same thing.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You imply that the ones with greater genetic variation and much larger pools to draw from are the inbreds?
    No one with a diverse genetic background is going to talk like someone from Boston or New York.

Socioeconomic conditions. I would also note that there is plenty of crime in the countryside.
    The closest thing there is to crime in the countryside are littluns disrespecting their elders!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    ... nah. f you go to the southern cities the people are friendly, and generally more liberal than if you are out in the country. Plus I was just busting PS's balls because he hates anywhere that has more than a thousand people in a 10 mile radius.
    I'm in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma...been so for about 15 years. 9/10 people are the friendly, honest people. In a city, you might get 7/10. Still better than up in NY or somewhere crowded like that.

Why do you think there's so much more crime in big cities!? Man was not meant to live surrounded by concrete and steel!
    Eeyup...

* Reads location*

O_O. Where at?
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

No one with a diverse genetic background is going to talk like someone from Boston or New York.
    Uhm... your ignorance is showing.
    The closest thing there is to crime in the countryside are littluns disrespecting their elders!
    And murder and rape and robbery.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a reason "urbane" means polished or refined.

I can't envisage living in a small town. What an awful life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Which are infinitely more prevalent in cities and virtually non-existent in rural communities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Which are infinitely more prevalent in cities and virtually non-existent in rural communities.
    Uh, duh? Of course there's going to be a higher prevalence when people are thicker on the ground.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    O_O. Where at?
    Tulsa ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Pff, tell that to Detroit.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

I'm in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma...been so for about 15 years. 9/10 people are the friendly, honest people. In a city, you might get 7/10. Still better than up in NY or somewhere crowded like that.
    Funny in Minneapolis I would say 9/10 are friendly, honest people. And we don't care about your accent. I got a ton of shit in the south when I was driving around because I didn't have a southern accent.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 01:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    infinitely? I don't think you know what that word means, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't split exactly along state lines, but we definitely have distinct regional cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny in Minneapolis I would say 9/10 are friendly, honest people. And we don't care about your accent. I got a ton of shit in the south when I was driving around because I didn't have a southern accent.
    You don't have any accent. People avoid you because you're some kind of freak of nature like that. Poor genetic stock does that to people!

infinitely? I don't think you know what that word means, honestly.
    Dude you walk into a city and you can see all the rape. All of it!

You don't have any accent. People avoid you because you're some kind of freak of nature like that. Poor genetic stock does that to people!
    And earlier you were whining about the accents of Bostonians and New Yorkers. Like I said, the south shits on people if they aren't just like them in every way :P
    Dude you walk into a city and you can see all the rape. All of it!
    Funny, I've lived all my life in large cities and I've yet to see 'all the rape'. Or any rape. Never seen a murder or a mugging or a robbery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Polish does little more than hide the rot within.

I can't envisage living in a small town. What an awful life.
    Small towns vary radically between each other. Large urban centers are essentially one big average. Each persons individual qualities are overridden by the sheer number of qualities present. Small towns are more dependent upon the individual characteristics of their members.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    And earlier you were whining about the accents of Bostonians and New Yorkers. Like I said, the south shits on people if they aren't just like them in every way :P
    Oh please, everyone shits on Bostonians and New Yorkers. They even shit on each other!

Funny, I've lived all my life in large cities and I've yet to see 'all the rape'. Or any rape. Never seen a murder or a mugging or a robbery.
    And a beetle that's spent its entire life living in a pile of shit wouldn't understand that it's living in shit, either!

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 01:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Polish does little to hide the rot within.
    Oh, I like that. I'm totally stealing it for later.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, I can't speak for cities. Never lived in one. Small town Alaska for 10 years, then small town Oklahoma for the last 15.

So they crack some jokes? Crack jokes back at them. As long as they're not mean jokes, you'll get some laughs outta them.

Tulsa ;_;
    Well, shit. I'm bout an hour-two SW of you in Tecumseh. Also, 9/21/85...so close to my 9/17/87.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Wondering if it's possible to get this data from the FBI site. I'm having a fish through at the moment; might be worth looking at this. I'm not quite sure what the Group I/II/III/IV/V means.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Wondering if it's possible to get this data from the FBI site. I'm having a fish through at the moment; might be worth looking at this. I'm not quite sure what the Group I/II/III/IV/V means.
    It means the population range.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Polish does little more than hide the rot within.
    -waves hand dismissively- Please. Small towns are not more "wholesome" than big cities.

To be fair, I can't speak for cities. Never lived in one. Small town Alaska for 10 years, then small town Oklahoma for the last 15.
    I was refused service at a resteraunt because me and my friends 'weren't from around here'. As preposterous and idiotic as it was, the waiter took our drink order, asked if we were moving into town, we said no, and they disappeared for half an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Looks like it's referring to the size of the city or town in question, by number of people living in it. No idea if it's referring to the city proper or the entire metropolitan area, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been all over the country, but Louisiana really is a separate place. So, for that matter, is Texas. It's very different from anywhere else, and it's hard to explain unless you've been there long enough.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama