Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mireigi View Post
    We don't need more classes, we need specilizations for those we already have.

Mage => Archmage/Sorcerer
    Warrior => Knight/Berserker
    Paladin => Inquisitor/Dragonslayer
    Druid => Shapeshifter/Elder Druid
    Priest => Cleric/Warpriest
    Warlock => Fel Summoner/Eldritch Warlock
    Hunter => Sniper/Ranger
    Shaman => Earth Caller/Dreamwalker
    Monk => Crane/Tiger
    Deathknight => Doomguard/Lich
    Rogue => Assassin/Infiltrator

Each specilization provide new abilities, but prevents the use of others. Specilizations are chosen by doing an associated questline. Once chosen, a specilization cannot be changed.
    Don't hijack his thread.

I doubt lich would work. In the context of Warcraft, a lich is an undead skeletal mage. That's a bit 'out there' for a player model, and we already HAVE a former scourge, undead class in the Death Knight.

As for a pet class with the pets being the primary damage dealer? I don't think blizz or many players would go for that. The appeal of pet classes has been having a little sidekick of sorts, and having utility come from your pet, such as tanking mobs, giving extra cc/damage, stuns or cc abilities, buffs what have you. If you put too much into the pet through, to the point the pet is more important than the player, I think that would just be silly. Not to mention we already have pet classes. We have the hunter with animals. We have the warlock for a caster with pets. We even have the frost mage, not a pet 'class' but a pet spec to a degree. I don't think we need another pet caster. Furthermore, I would argue that with all of the necromantic abilities the DK already has, army of the dead, ghoul pets, gargoyles, raise ally etc, that there really isn't much room thematically for a full blown necromancer class. And do we really need a second 'evil caster' class when we have the warlock? Especially a second evil caster PET class?

WoW is not a dark game. And if the devs decide they want to make it darker, the way to do that is through the storytelling, not by adding in a 'dark' class, especially when we already have that in the death knight. What would a full on necromancer really bring to the game when the DK already has necromancer themes baked into it? It'd be like wanting to add a stealth based martial artist into the game, like a shado-pan or ninja. Sure, it sounds neat, but we already have monks, and we already have the stealth class in the rogue, there's just too much overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukhoi View Post
    http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/lich.shtml

Classes aren't just wow. They have to be somewhat realistic and related to the original counterparts. That's where all classes come from.
    Well thank you for the quote and I guess you are speaking in Warcraft lore in general but I'll stick too my post saying that there is no Lich class in World of Warcraft. It can be whatever you make it. Regardless...the point was just to make a new class not to mince words.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morninghorse View Post
    Lich is NOT a class, it's an undead/demonic creature made of bone and cold. One does not become a lich by saying : hey, let's be a lich. It's like you want to be a cryptlord class or an abomination class.
    Sort of agree. If we're talking D&D, then Lich is a template, and later, a prestige class. It's a very powerful undead spellcaster which has been raised in a specifica and complicated way. Based loosely on Sauron.

I have a bit of fetish for Hero classes, and think this is a great example where the idea could be scaled into a spec. Druids currently have 4 specs. What if one-by one, Blizzard started adding 'hero specs'- hard to get special specs that require some kind of rare drop, rep grind, epic questline, and/or world boss kill. In the example of a Lich spec, there are two ways I could see it done. One workd like Warlock Green fire, isn't even a spec, but an appearance option, and would basically allow a DK to have a skeletal appearance as appropriate to their race. The other way would be to make it an unlockable mage spec that requires an frost mage to jump through a bunch of hoops. If they manage to do so, they gain access to a 4th spec which feature a lot of unholy and frost magic and possibly an appearance change (imo no appearance change and call it 'necromancer' would be better).

Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    If you dont think the current game is dark, you should actually play the game instead of making opinions without playing. Wow is pretty dark atm
    Where are you basing my time playing this game? I play quite frequently. I personally don't think it's dark enough. Some may not agree but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Sort of agree. If we're talking D&D, then Lich is a template, and later, a prestige class. It's a very powerful undead spellcaster which has been raised in a specifica and complicated way. Based loosely on Sauron.

I have a bit of fetish for Hero classes, and think this is a great example where the idea could be scaled into a spec. Druids currently have 4 specs. What if one-by one, Blizzard started adding 'hero specs'- hard to get special specs that require some kind of rare drop, rep grind, epic questline, and/or world boss kill. In the example of a Lich spec, there are two ways I could see it done. One workd like Warlock Green fire, isn't even a spec, but an appearance option, and would basically allow a DK to have a skeletal appearance as appropriate to their race. The other way would be to make it an unlockable mage spec that requires an frost mage to jump through a bunch of hoops. If they manage to do so, they gain access to a 4th spec which feature a lot of unholy and frost magic and possibly an appearance change (imo no appearance change and call it 'necromancer' would be better).
    No thank you. We don't need classes or even specs being bound to hard to get items. It's one thing to tie cosmetic rewards like green fire to a rare drop, or make the best armor in the game hard to get, etc. But the moment you start limiting actual classes, specs, or even useful spells to a limited portion of the player base, you've gone too far.

As for WoW being dark... it plays at being dark. It has its dark moments. But I wouldn't go so far to call WoW a dark game, and I love its story for the most part. It has dark moments, but overall its tone isn't all that dark.

Deleted
    I have always wanted a True Necromancer class, and as much as I would love it, I don't think relying on pets entirely would work. AI just doesn't compete with a player's own button-pressing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    No thank you. We don't need classes or even specs being bound to hard to get items. It's one thing to tie cosmetic rewards like green fire to a rare drop, or make the best armor in the game hard to get, etc. But the moment you start limiting actual classes, specs, or even useful spells to a limited portion of the player base, you've gone too far.
    Why is that, out of curiousity? I would say limiting better gear with a competitive edge to rare drops has much more of an impact than mounts, cosmetic spell effects, or a unique (but balanced) play style.

That aside, it needn't be through a rare drop. Indeed I'd rather it wasn't, grinding for rare drops isn't so fun. The examples I gave were just examples- the general idea being that the prestige spec would be behind a barrier of some sort. I think it would be a lot of fun to unlock a new play style within your favourite class. Designed well, you could make it such that there were multiple different ways to unlock each classes prestige spec, possibly with a cosmetic indicator of how it was unlocked (for example, with the unlockable necromancer spec, the minion type changes depending on whether the player unlocked the spec with a PvP title, PvE achievement, or rare drop).

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    As for WoW being dark... it plays at being dark. It has its dark moments. But I wouldn't go so far to call WoW a dark game, and I love its story for the most part. It has dark moments, but overall its tone isn't all that dark.
    Agree. In the tradition of a proper epic, tragedy is balanced against comedy.

Why is that, out of curiousity? I would say limiting better gear with a competitive edge to rare drops has much more of an impact than mounts, cosmetic spell effects, or a unique (but balanced) play style.

That aside, it needn't be through a rare drop. Indeed I'd rather it wasn't, grinding for rare drops isn't so fun. The examples I gave were just examples- the general idea being that the prestige spec would be behind a barrier of some sort. I think it would be a lot of fun to unlock a new play style within your favourite class. Designed well, you could make it such that there were multiple different ways to unlock each classes prestige spec, possibly with a cosmetic indicator of how it was unlocked (for example, with the unlockable necromancer spec, the minion type changes depending on whether the player unlocked the spec with a PvP title, PvE achievement, or rare drop).
    Things that allow players different gameplay opportunities should not be gated. Pet battles, raiding, pvp, achievements should have no obstacles to joining for any player.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    Things that allow players different gameplay opportunities should not be gated. Pet battles, raiding, pvp, achievements should have no obstacles to joining for any player.
    I disagree. DKs do that- only players who have a character above level 55 may have them. That's gating gameplay opportunities. Moreover, large sections of gameplay mediums aren't being gated (such as pet battles, PvP, and so on as you mentioned) just a different way of participating in these gameplay mediums (with no competitive edge).

I'm not trying to be contrite, but am actually curious as to what 'in essence' you find wrong about an unlockable spec, but don't find wrong with an unlockable class, unlockable mounts, pets, achievements, and gear. Indeed, some arenas of play are gated- Rated PvP, Raiding, Heroics and challenge modes require gear not everyone has and that aren't easy to get. As long as the opportunity is equal, what's the problem?

I disagree. DKs do that- only players who have a character above level 55 may have them. That's gating gameplay opportunities. Moreover, large sections of gameplay mediums aren't being gated (such as pet battles, PvP, and so on as you mentioned) just a different way of participating in these gameplay mediums (with no competitive edge).

I'm not trying to be contrite, but am actually curious as to what 'in essence' you find wrong about an unlockable spec, but don't find wrong with an unlockable class, unlockable mounts, pets, achievements, and gear. Indeed, some arenas of play are gated- Rated PvP, Raiding, Heroics and challenge modes require gear not everyone has and that aren't easy to get. As long as the opportunity is equal, what's the problem?
    DKs being gated is sort of a neccisary evil because blizz figured it wouldn't make sense to start them at level 1, but from a design perspective I don't like it, as a new player to the game that wants to play a DK has to go through 55 levels of another class to get to it. Even so, this is at least a gate that you'll unlock before you even get to level cap.

More powerful gear just empowers your character incrementally as you get it. It' makes things hit harder, but it's not really new 'content,' it just makes you stronger.

Mounts are just aesthetics. Functionally, there's no difference between an armored gryphon and a gladiator's frost wyrm.

I disagree about the severity of raiding and rated pvp gating. You can get good (though not top of the line) pvp gear just through battlegrounds and honor gear. This will give you a means to start rated pvp, and blizz is even introducing ways to make this easier. Raiding? You have many ways to get gear for raiding, from valor gear, lfr, holliday bosses, crafted epics, etc.

But something that has never been gated in WoW is playstyle. You shouldn't have to level to 90 and do an achievement to unlock the mistweaver spec for a monk if you want to heal for example. You should have all of your class' playstyles available upfront, or at least from a low level, so that you can play the role and playstyle you want to play rather than having to play something you don't just to unlock it later. That is the issue for me. I see a very clear difference between 'oh, I have to gear up before I can do ToT' or 'I need to get honor gear before I do rated BGs' and 'I can't play my class the way I want to because I haven't unlocked the spec I want to play yet.'

DKs are gated, which I don't agree with in principle, but considering they start at level 55, I understand not letting someone who just bought the game skip 55 levels of content. I guess that's why they are a "hero class"

Lets imagine they announce a fourth spec for mages, a Blood spec. People that want to play Bloodmages now can. I don't think it would be fair to people that have wanted to play a blood mage for years to tie this fourth spec to killing a raid boss or a very rare item drop. Some people simply don't have time to open that kind of content. Being able to play my character the way I want should never be hindered. Now if instead of a fourth spec, they announce a quest chain that turns all of your fire spells into "blood spells" (Warlock green fire), then I don't mind, because it doesn't alter the way I play my class. It's completely optional and a bit of prestige. Prestigious rewards should not allow people to play differently. I don't see an additional spec to a class I play as being "optional"

I guess what I'm driving at is, I don't think most of the game should be gated. If it is gated, it should be an optional thing (Brawler's Guild, rep based mounts, transmog gear)

edit: Florena said what I wanted to say much better:
    You should have all of your class' playstyles available upfront, or at least from a low level, so that you can play the role and playstyle you want to play rather than having to play something you don't just to unlock it later.
    Last edited by grisset; 2013-05-06 at 06:20 PM.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigs79 View Post
    This class would be totally based off of your pets. Pure DPS class. You personally do not cast anything offensive. Any spells you get are all directed to the pets and either causing them to do more damage or give them special abilities or .....you name it.

I envision a small army of pets doing you bidding.

While we do have pet classes currently none of those classes are totally based on the pet being the primary damage dealer. I guess that is what would make the necro or Lich different and special.

The necro/Lich should have auras or stances like Dk's.

if you chose the necro spec all your pets will be some form of undead that rise to your bidding. if you chose the Lich all the pets will be demonic. Make them new classes of damage. Necro damage and demonic damage. Each bringing their own different benefit.

Anyhow this is just a thought and by no means complete.

I really like it because this class would be DARK...I personally think WoW has turned too much into a foo foo lets kill bunnies game and needs to take a turn for the dark/Evil side. This class would help usher the new era in.

What you all think. Feel free to add ideas.
    Hmm I like where you started from tbh. the idea of a heavy pet dependant class is very very appealing to me. But demons in a necromancer class is like tomatos and carrots. nothing to do with one another XD.
    But actually if you really want a true necromancer you can find one if you venture through my sig hehe. hope you like it!
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-05-06 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necromancers deserve an autonomous and independent class, a standard class, in fact, in what RPG worth his salt there are no necromancers?

To those who say that a warlock or death knight come to replace the necromancers in wow, only I have to tell them they have no idea what is a necromancer authentic.

Hopefully someday we can play with a necromancer in wow ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they did a lot with dark/evil themed classes already, lock/dk/shadowpriest. Monk was very different, personally I enjoy seeing the new ideas they come up with.

I do support your idea of the new class being ranged though. we got DK's, monks, insert range here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Necromancer is to Death Knight what Priest is to Paladin and what Warlock is to Demon Hunter.

so Necromancer is a clothie that uses shadow and death magic to summon undead and kill it's enemies.

It CAN work. but you need to polish your idea.

I approve.

PS: Don't call it "Lich" as it is confusing readers.

---

EDIT : Necromancer can also work as a mage's forth spec.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2013-05-07 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mireigi View Post
    We don't need more classes, we need specilizations for those we already have.

Mage => Archmage/Sorcerer
    Warrior => Knight/Berserker
    Paladin => Inquisitor/Dragonslayer
    Druid => Shapeshifter/Elder Druid
    Priest => Cleric/Warpriest
    Warlock => Fel Summoner/Eldritch Warlock
    Hunter => Sniper/Ranger
    Shaman => Earth Caller/Dreamwalker
    Monk => Crane/Tiger
    Deathknight => Doomguard/Lich
    Rogue => Assassin/Infiltrator

Each specilization provide new abilities, but prevents the use of others. Specilizations are chosen by doing an associated questline. Once chosen, a specilization cannot be changed.
    I really like this idea, with one big twist. Just like many games lets you restart the game in 'hard mode' with the same character, I want to see your character go to level 1 as a result of the specialization, but you dont lose any abilities in your previous class... and the expansion that introduces this would give us enough new zones that are tuned for leveling what is essentially level 90-level 180. The specialization abilities would stack or improve based on your original class.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    I really like this idea, with one big twist. Just like many games lets you restart the game in 'hard mode' with the same character, I want to see your character go to level 1 as a result of the specialization, but you dont lose any abilities in your previous class... and the expansion that introduces this would give us enough new zones that are tuned for leveling what is essentially level 90-level 180. The specialization abilities would stack or improve based on your original class.
    I don't think that'll work in an MMO. For a game like D3, sure, but I'd rather see resources put into new level cap content instead of making a 'hard mode' version of the game to level up our characters a SECOND TIME. Some might like this but I think it would be a terrible idea in general.

Dark Ranger would be my guess, strait up DPS for all 3 specs, fully ranged spec, fully melee with a short duration stealth, and some kind of spell casting ranged hybrid with lots of utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    I think they did a lot with dark/evil themed classes already, lock/dk/shadowpriest. Monk was very different, personally I enjoy seeing the new ideas they come up with.

I do support your idea of the new class being ranged though. we got DK's, monks, insert range here.
    This is laregely how I feel. Even if they managed to spin a necromance in a way that felt distinct from both warlocks (dark themed caster with demons) and death knight (dark themed melee fighter/tank with undead minions and abilities) I'd rather see something other than another dark or evil caster class. Perhaps a class that doesn't require twisting lore by the arm to explain why this new class is allowed in the horde/alliance. DKs were only allowed in because they had Tirion's word and they were former heroes that died in the line of duty, and never chose to become DKs. But allowing necromancers? That would be a bit too far and you already have the 'underground' idea going with warlocks, who in lore at least hide what they're doing from the public.