Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    If they are vegetarians/vegans because they don't like how animals that are bred for meat are treated, then I would think they would have an aversion to milk as well, unless it is local and they know how the cows are treated.
    I hate these people. They are a bunch of hypocrits because they believe themselves better than anyone else by not hurting animals, yet they hurt plants. Yes, plants can feel some sort of pain. Now what? Vegetarians and vegans gonna starve themselves to death or will they remain hypocrits?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I hate these people. They are a bunch of hypocrits because they believe themselves better than anyone else by not hurting animals, yet they hurt plants. Yes, plants can feel some sort of pain. Now what? Vegetarians and vegans gonna starve themselves to death or will they remain hypocrits?
    Reminds me of a shirt I saw.

"How many vegetables died to make your salad?"

Deleted
    I don't blame them. Most of the time the argument is started by the meat eaters. It starts with the "why are you a vegetarian?" question at the table, the vegetarian answers, and then the meat eater gives a response similar to yours, even though the meat eater is the one that started it. Then they proceed to use the "we're on top of the food chain" argument and thus they end up being self-righteous themselves. Meat eaters also label everyone who doesn't eat animals as "PETA" sympathizers. Hell, I've been called a PETA lover for disliking animal cruelty for the sake of it, so take a good look again at who is the hypocrite.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-05-09 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I don't think I could ever be vegan. Eggs and Cheeses are the best foods in the world.
    I tried vegan for a couple of years, and the reasons why I stopped have nothing to do with feeling deprived. There's such a diversity of awesome food and food combinations out there most people would never think to try if they're locked into the standard meat-fish-eggs-cheese paradigm. In short, you find other things that are just as awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, there is a very good ethical argument against vegetarianism.

However, I disagree with it on scientific grounds. Also, there are certain things you just have to have meat to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Vegetarians do drink milk cause it can be acquired without killing an animal for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Eggs we eat are unfertilized eggs. How is that cruel?
    Eating eggs itself isn't really cruel indeed - the biggest/actual problem simply is the general framework in which they often are "produced".

Deleted
    You do realise that a lot of vegetarians have become so for the health (or environmental) benefits?
    Not murdering an animal that was mass bred in a tiny metal box to end up on a plate covered in gravy, is but a nice benefit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I guess you could try to buy eggs that were from free roaming chickens. I know I buy the meat that way. Do they even do that? I'll have to look next time at the commisary.
    Of course you can buy eggs from free roaming chickens. But after all, most of the time there still are some pretty bad side effects regarding the animals which I consider worse enough to not consume eggs (or any animal products).
    Won't got into detail though, don't want to start a vegan-debate here.

I'm a vegetarian monday -> friday, just because I find that meat tends to slow me down more at work (I have a shitty digestive system). Vegetarian used to mean something completely different back in the hippy days, and for the most part the people with the hardcore ethical issues about the way we process food have moved on to being vegan (or at least it seems that way to me). There are many shades of veggies today..one of the biggest things is whether or not you eat fish. For some reason some people still call themselves vegetarian and eat fish.

Quote Originally Posted by SnickSnack View Post
    wait they eat eggs? then whats stopping theme from eating chicken, I mean is it not just as cruel

Which one is cuter?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    I'm a vegetarian monday -> friday, just because I find that meat tends to slow me down more at work (I have a shitty digestive system). Vegetarian used to mean something completely different back in the hippy days, and for the most part the people with the hardcore ethical issues about the way we process food have moved on to being vegan (or at least it seems that way to me). There are many shades of veggies today..one of the biggest things is whether or not you eat fish. For some reason some people still call themselves vegetarian and eat fish.
    they call themselves pescatarians. or ovotarians. or whatever, based on the highest order of animal product they eat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    they call themselves pescatarians. or ovotarians. or whatever, based on the highest order of animal product they eat.
    Right, but many pescetarians still call themselves 'vegetarian', too, which can be quite misleading to other people.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-05-09 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

Which one is cuter?
    Or you know, eggs =/= chicken. And eggs =/= fertilized eggs.

yeah, i know. i've got a friend who calls herself a "vegetarian, except steak sometimes"

yes, i've stopped trying to argue with her.

Deleted
    Vegan isn't something arbitrary where you can argue where the line goes. Vegan means NO ANIMAL BASED PRODUCTS. Humans are animals. Thus, no breastmilk.

Quote Originally Posted by SnickSnack View Post
    wait they eat eggs? then whats stopping theme from eating chicken, I mean is it not just as cruel
    The eggs you buy are not fertilized. They arent chicken fetuses - they are chicken periods.

15+ Year Old Account
    vegetarians drink milk, vegans don't.

the reason it won't be suitable for vegetarians will be down to one of the following:

1: produced in a factory where cross contamination could occur, so they cannot guarantee it is not 100% suitable

2: A lot of food colourings are made using crushed insects - a good example of this would be McDonalds Strawberry Milkshakes here in the UK, for years the other 3 flavours were suitable for vegetarians, but strawberry wasn't, this is because the strawberry syrup was made using crushed insects (which is quite a common thing) - possibly the blueberry flavouring/colouring is made in a similar way?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    vegetarians drink milk, vegans don't.

the reason it won't be suitable for vegetarians will be down to one of the following:

1: produced in a factory where cross contamination could occur, so they cannot guarantee it is not 100% suitable

2: A lot of food colourings are made using crushed insects - a good example of this would be McDonalds Strawberry Milkshakes here in the UK, for years the other 3 flavours were suitable for vegetarians, but strawberry wasn't, this is because the strawberry syrup was made using crushed insects (which is quite a common thing) - possibly the blueberry flavouring/colouring is made in a similar way?
    This. The presence of milk does not make something vegetarian unfriendly. It makes it vegan unfriendly. If it's labeled as the former, chances are it has gelatin or something in it.

I've been on a vegan diet for about 8 years. It's one of those things you get used to watching out for. Many canned "vegetable" soups aren't vegan or vegetarian, for example, as they use beef or chicken stock.

Quote Originally Posted by suokki View Post
    Hi fellow MMO'ers

I bought a blueberry smoothie this morning from my workplace cantine, and it says 'not suitable for vegetarians'
    I started to wonder why and I decided to as a colleague of mine.
    Yeah some smoothies are not vegetarian/vegan friendly because they use coloring to make the fruits look brighter. The coloring comes from animals, insects specifically. This was a huge issue with Starbucks as they were using some insect product to color their strawberry frappucinnos.