Page 23 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Not sure if serious. I mean, you could theoretically engage the whole phalanx line with your infantry and have cavalry flank them, but even AI doesn't make as stupid mistakes as not leaving reserves or phalanx flanks covered by it's own cavalry. Or maybe you're playing on the easiest difficulty level, then yes, all it takes is one cavalry unit.
    Generally this happens either after I have disposed of his cav or my cav outnumber his

Edit: I will flank a phalanx with cav as soon as possible because of how slow they are

So I played some Shogun 2 tonight, haven't played in more than a year. I own half of the campaign map, but now on each turn I lose like 2-3 provinces. And the AI has some huuge armies while I have squat. I won only one big fight, 500 vs 1300, but yea, too overwhelming for my taste. I mean, they come with 7-8 units of bowmen, and just shoot over the walls, and everything dies.

I just hope that Rome 2 allows you to go full war mode, and succeed with it, cause diplomacy just ain't my thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Trish is hot, and I like my women, "aggressive," but I think like Al's custom battle that this was a throwaway match. Meant to show off the formation shift and battle map, more than any actual skill. I just can't come up with any other explanation for her going cavalry and missile heavy in a confined map. And her picking units she doesn't even like, such as the camels.

I figure Parthia has to have some sort of defensive infantry. Maybe not very good ones, but they should have something.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Parthia or Pontus will probably be the first faction I play assuming we get the choice and don't have to play Rome first. I've been missing my heavy cavalry ever since Medieval 2.

Deleted
    I like ROME TW series,rome total war 2 have coop campaing :X.

Gotta go Suebi first =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Gotta go Suebi first =)
    That's my plan either going as Siberia or the iceni, thinking an island start might me quite good.

Will all factions be playable in the campaign right away, or will they have to be unlocked like medieval 2?
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    That's my plan either going as Siberia or the iceni, thinking an island start might me quite good.

Will all factions be playable in the campaign right away, or will they have to be unlocked like medieval 2?
    Yea you can start with any of the announced factions I suppose. I plan to finish the campaign at first with the Julii, then with Sparta

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I figure Parthia has to have some sort of defensive infantry. Maybe not very good ones, but they should have something.
    I remember in Rome 1, Parthia only had 1 unit of pretty much mob spearmen (like 5 of them could have been beaten by a single hoplite unit in a chokepoint) until super late game, when they got legion-like types of units. And in this video they don't seem to be using any late game units at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post

1) from what I heard, all will be playable right away
    2) If you have the willpower to not play sparta, you are a better man than I am

I remember in Rome 1, Parthia only had 1 unit of pretty much mob spearmen (like 5 of them could have been beaten by a single hoplite unit in a chokepoint) until super late game, when they got legion-like types of units. And in this video they don't seem to be using any late game units at all.
    Oh gods, Eastern Infantry. The second most useless starter unit ever. The only thing worse were Auxillia after the Marius reforms. Though, I don't think I'd actually have minded Auxilia if they didn't replace the superior (in my opinion) Hastati.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Oh gods, Eastern Infantry. The second most useless starter unit ever. The only thing worse were Auxillia after the Marius reforms. Though, I don't think I'd actually have minded Auxilia if they didn't replace the superior (in my opinion) Hastati.
    Auxilia were perfectly good, just not as good as hastati because hastati were kinda OP on Rome 1. Iberian Infantry were much worse.

Deleted
    A new free-lc has just been announced. Everyone will get the Seleucid Empire faction aswell. It won't be out on day 1 though.

Edit : release date for seleucid faction is somewhere in October. They promised more of these "free features" during the games development. Besides that a nomadic tribe-dlc (like the greek cities dlc) is coming in October aswell, they one will cost money.
    Last edited by mmoc91d120d86f; 2013-08-23 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasen Ibaraki View Post
    Auxilia were perfectly good, just not as good as hastati because hastati were kinda OP on Rome 1. Iberian Infantry were much worse.
    Guess I should clarify, second worst of any faction I played. Never played Carthage. Played...pretty much everyone else you could.
    Last edited by Chrysia; 2013-08-23 at 02:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    they should have let us be Thracian.

Auxilia were far better than Eastern Infantry. Eastern Infantry was literally USELESS, Auxilia could hold it's own against any other lowest tier unit. Eastern Infantry was no good against cavalry (even if it was attacking from the front), no good against archers, no good against other infantry. I remember only ever using this unit (and always only a single unit) if I wanted to siege a city, which couldn't be done if the army consisted only of cavalry. Or maybe you couldn't storm a city without infantry. I can't quite remember.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    Besides that a nomadic tribe-dlc (like the greek cities dlc) is coming in October aswell, they one will cost money.
    I call the Scythians. The Huns and other migrant tribes deserve a full expansion like Barbarian Invasion.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2013-08-23 at 03:02 PM.

Auxilia were far better than Eastern Infantry. Eastern Infantry was literally USELESS, Auxilia could hold it's own against any other lowest tier unit. Eastern Infantry was no good against cavalry (even if it was attacking from the front), no good against archers, no good against other infantry. I remember only ever using this unit (and always only a single unit) if I wanted to siege a city, which couldn't be done if the army consisted only of cavalry. Or maybe you couldn't storm a city without infantry. I can't quite remember.

I call the Scythians. The Huns and other migrant tribes deserve a full expansion like Barbarian Invasion.
    You couldn't storm any walled city without a unit (foot missile or infantry) to man the siege equipment. You could only besiege until they surrendered or sallied.

You couldn't storm any walled city without a unit (foot missile or infantry) to man the siege equipment. You could only besiege until they surrendered or sallied.
    Yeah, just what I thought, but it's been ages since I last played Rome, so I wasn't 100% certain.

Deleted
    Me and my buddy always get a Rome: Total war campaign going whenever he is visiting from Manchester, we don't see each other often, so when we do we sit down to a few nights of grand strategy, being armchair generals and drinking beer.

He's coming down on the 6th Especially to play Rome 2 with me, Can't wait!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Me and my buddy always get a Rome: Total war campaign going whenever he is visiting from Manchester, we don't see each other often, so when we do we sit down to a few nights of grand strategy, being armchair generals and drinking beer.

He's coming down on the 6th Especially to play Rome 2 with me, Can't wait!

why dont you play online campaign with him while he's in Manchester?
    dragonmaw - EU