Page 30 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh those sneaky ruskies.

Not terribly impressed by the AI here either, by the by.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-08-31 at 02:31 AM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    I think FedEx tried to deliver my CE today...
    WOW I dropped the ball on this one. Seriously had no idea there was a CE on this game, its what I get for watching youtube vids and steam description for my source of info. Goddammit I just looked up the CE to see it sold out, welp to ebay it is...

And to make it worse, this CE set seems to include some valuables compared to what other games include.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    WOW I dropped the ball on this one. Seriously had no idea there was a CE on this game, its what I get for watching youtube vids and steam description for my source of info. Goddammit I just looked up the CE to see it sold out, welp to ebay it is...

And to make it worse, this CE set seems to include some valuables compared to what other games include.
    Yes. It is a very robust CE. Not some crappy "Oh, you get a limited edition plastic spoon" CE.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Yes. It is a very robust CE. Not some crappy "Oh, you get a limited edition plastic spoon" CE.
    Usable game pieces and cards...has any other CE done it that well?

10+ Year Old Account
    For the curious, since I'm not seeing a playlist on youtube, all the how to play vids.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Oh those sneaky ruskies.

Anyone speak russian?

Edit: So he is playing a recording through vlc I'm curious if he actually has the game or did he find this footage from somewhere. I find it strange that he has 2 catapult units, several Hastati units, several Triarii units and only a couple Principes units. Seems to me this is either demo footage from somewhere or several hours into the campaign.

The AI did what it always did in Rome 1 during sieges, take its units on a sight seeing tour of its settlement. It did have one nice moment where it recognized a flanking movement and briefly countered it. But then another unit just ran back and forth between the two flanks and then got devoured.
    Last edited by theturn; 2013-08-31 at 06:09 AM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Anyone speak russian?

Edit: So he is playing a recording through vlc I'm curious if he actually has the game or did he find this footage from somewhere. I find it strange that he has 2 catapult units, several Hastati units, several Triarii units and only a couple Principes units. Seems to me this is either demo footage from somewhere or several hours into the campaign.

The AI did what it always did in Rome 1 during sieges, take its units on a sight seeing tour of its settlement. It did have one nice moment where it recognized a flanking movement and briefly countered it. But then another unit just ran back and forth between the two flanks and then got devoured.
    We don't know what level of difficulty it was. Perhaps on higher difficulties it's better, but the AI sucked quite hard in this one.

But those animations and sound...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

The A.I. in TW games has always been terrible. And I see Rome 2 continuing this fine tradition.

You can let Creative Assembly hype you about many things, but never believe a word they say about any A.I. improvements.

10+ Year Old Account
    agreed :/

(not terribly impressed by the player here either, though^^)

For the curious, since I'm not seeing a playlist on youtube, all the how to play vids.
    uhh, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    We don't know what level of difficulty it was. Perhaps on higher difficulties it's better, but the AI sucked quite hard in this one.
    anything above normal is pretty much only done through the ai cheating even more (and acting more aggressive towards the player on the campaign map) rather than actually being more intelligent.

and even if it actually plays better on higher difficulties, that would be through executing more advanced tactics and the like. it's pretty save to assume that units running around somewhere for no reason is not intended for any difficulty, but just one of the usual flaws/glitches :P

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    The A.I. in TW games has always been terrible. And I see Rome 2 continuing this fine tradition.

You can let Creative Assembly hype you about many things, but never believe a word they say about any A.I. improvements.
    indeed^^

My hopes that these hideous, stylized unit cards were a pre-release thing are slowly dwindling.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

You guys, what's up with this negativity around here? You're making me lose hypehypehype..

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    My hopes that these hideous, stylized unit cards were a pre-release thing are slowly dwindling.
    Totally agree. You can't tell shit with these unit cards anymore. The infantry units all look the same at a glance. Unit strength is reduced to a dinky little bar that you have squint to see it. What happened to big, easy-to-see numbers and colorful detailed unit cards from Shogun 2? It seems CA just loves to change stuff for changes' sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Totally agree. You can't tell shit with these unit cards anymore.
    ikr? -.-

i dislike the look too, but the actual problem really is that they seem so terrible for showing information at a glance. i do hope and expect there will be a mod out soon that changes them to proper unit pictures, with distinct looks and numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    You guys, what's up with this negativity around here? You're making me lose hypehypehype..
    1) being hyped for something is rarely a good thing. when you finally get to experience it, especially with games, you're bound to be disappointed in some way (unless you are blindly fanboying and don't know enough about games to notice obvious flaws, that is)^^

2) we are pretty much nitpicking. the ai is a real concern and continuous disappointment of many fans of the series, but i don't think anyone here really doubts that rome 2 will be yet another amazing game in which we will sink hundreds of hours of (mostly!) enjoyable game time :D
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-08-31 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yep

one of the first comments i made on the game when we first started getting videos was them unit cards. looks terrible!

also, i still don't see where it says on the unit card how many men are left in a unit. do you have to select / mouse over each one to see how many are left? thats will be annoying.

hopefuly a mod can be released to fix the unit cards :P
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of like the new unit cards (except the lack of unit strength #). More immersion, I guess...I know it's an rts, but still

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    also, i still don't see where it says on the unit card how many men are left in a unit. do you have to select / mouse over each one to see how many are left? thats will be annoying.
    they don't show any numbers, there's a small, green bar below the picture that goes from full to empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    More immersion, I guess...
    highly stylized black-and-white pictures don't add any immersion for me. if anything, they distract from the graphics of the actual world, battlefield, soldiers, etc - something which the devs actually specifically stated they'd like to avoid when designing the ui: the particular question was about a white marbled texture for the ui in general, which apparently they felt wouldn't feel right. god knows why they thought something even more artificial looking for the unit cards would be o.O

whether one finds that kind of painting-style pleasing or not is of course completely subjective, but i don't quite see how it would add to immersion and feel less distracting than a marbled texture.
    and from a gameplay-information perspective, they are just poor.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-08-31 at 03:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    they don't show any numbers, there's a small, green bar below the picture that goes from full to empty.
    whos idea was this?

well, i shouldn't say i hate it before i've even played with it, i may end up liking the new cards.
    dragonmaw - EU

I agree with you on the cards. It looks like a poor MS Paint job, and all melee infantry look copy-pasted.. the same black shape.

I, for one, like the unit cards' new look. I mean, at first glance I was like "OMG WHAT IS THIS", but the more videos I watched, the more I liked them. I agree about the unit strength bar, it's pretty small, but the graphic style I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

My CE is here. It's pretty awesome.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.