Page 60 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    The unlocking of factions through defeating them in older TW games is something I've missed dearly.
    I never missed or even liked that. I used to change the files just after i setup the game.

I love this game.

Good patch sofar, before i had 4 countrys with 5-6 stacks each blockade a city for well over 50 turns, booted it up today and they attacked the city. So sofar so good
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    WW2: Total skirmish.
    lul

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    You can play as any of the 100+ factions in rome 2 with a recent mod on twcenter.com without any trouble.
    it will still not be quite as good as it would be if the devs would've implemented all these factions from the start, though. unit variety (and balancing!) and faction bonuses may be done by good mods over time, but good fan made voice overs for soldiers of 100 factions? unlikely. so you'll still hear soldiers of the etruscan league shout "for rome!" and the like^^

those reasons are of course most likely also why CA decided to go with the (relatively) few factions we have in vanilla.

The unlocking of factions through defeating them in older TW games is something I've missed dearly.
    i would've liked to see that unlocking too, as there are soooo many ai factions in this game, but i still prefer it over rome 1 in the way that we have a good selection of different factions right from the start. being able to only play rome was bleh :/
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-09-17 at 01:40 PM.

Sigh.. just had another battle where suddenly and without reason the 3D engine turns into a slideshow. The UI is still responsive, the banners still float at the same speed, everything 3D is just moving slower than a boring teacher's powerpoint presentation. I play on extreme details but I have tried turning it down all the way to the lowest settings. It is not my memory (only 3 gb out of 16 used) or anything else I could have figured.

Also, I hate the family and faction system. I can't do anything at the moment to raise my influence. I'm stuck around 45-49%. Marrying / bribing costs as much influence as it gains and I'm not going to assassinate my awesome generals. Thankfully the civil war thingie is randomly generated, so I just keep loading my pre-next-turn-quicksave until the game decides in my favour and leaves the civil war behind. I'm playing as the Iceni, four of my armies are slaughtering gauls/spanish while my other 3 armies are slicing trough Scythia. It will take me atleast 5 turns to bring those first 4 back to Brittania, and that is with hoping that the AI will accept my peace without demanding half of my fortune.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i would've liked to see that unlocking too, as there are soooo many ai factions in this game, but i still prefer it over rome 1 in the way that we have a good selection of different factions right from the start. being able to only play rome was bleh :/
    Very true. I was thinking more along the lines of Medieval 2. For me it was a pretty decent line-up in terms of numbers and variety when you first started up the game. And you could still unlock a ton of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finaly brought down rome in my arverni campaign. Movie clip starts of i think yey show the barbarians crushing themm... nope, some greeks are plundering rome wtf..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    Finaly brought down rome in my arverni campaign. Movie clip starts of i think yey show the barbarians crushing themm... nope, some greeks are plundering rome wtf..
    That is another bug, I believe. There is one with barbarians doing it too. The clips are triggering but the right ones are not being shown.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    I didn't buy shogun 2 either. Last one I got was empire, and that was awful.
    You're missing out man... Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai is AWESOME.. Way better graphics than Empire, yet smooth & fluid enough to not lurch or lag.. And that's on the lil BS laptop I have.

- - - Updated - - -

What I want to know, because there seems to be a couple.. Do females actually play Total War? And find it interesting?

Just curious.

Oh and more of an on topic; I've played Rome 2, granted a pirated version with the DLC already.. I wanted/want to cry. They said graphics were going to be made so that even low end machines can run this with no problem.. At least not big ones.. Total war? More like, Total Lies.. My desktop can run the new Simcity, on high settings, no lag, pretty smooth, good graphics. I put Rome 2 on as low as low can go. and I have LAG, like BIG TIME lag.. More so during campaigning rather than on a battlefield.
    Last edited by Violent; 2013-09-17 at 04:28 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    I know some of the modders on the Total War Centre are girls. It does seem pretty rare though.

I'm sure there's a combination of girl gamer / historian geek / turn based strategy + real time strategy fan who would love Total War, out there somewhere! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    I know some of the modders on the Total War Centre are girls. It does seem pretty rare though.

I'm sure there's a combination of girl gamer / historian geek / turn based strategy + real time strategy fan who would love Total War, out there somewhere! :P
    Oh really? That's pretty cool.
    I don't doubt it.. Not trying to bash anyone or anything.. Just, it's something not "every" girl is into. (Not trying to play into stereotypes of girls either.)
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Oh and more of an on topic; I've played Rome 2, granted a pirated version with the DLC already.. I wanted/want to cry. They said graphics were going to be made so that even low end machines can run this with no problem.. At least not big ones.. Total war? More like, Total Lies.. My desktop can run the new Simcity, on high settings, no lag, pretty smooth, good graphics. I put Rome 2 on as low as low can go. and I have LAG, like BIG TIME lag.. More so during campaigning rather than on a battlefield.
    Its relatively clear that Rome 2 was launched in a, at best, Beta state. Quite a bit just seems unfinished, to put it nicely, and what they do have seems to not run very well on a surprisingly large variety of machines. It will get better but you only get one chance with first impressions and... Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    That is another bug, I believe. There is one with barbarians doing it too. The clips are triggering but the right ones are not being shown.
    oh ive only seen the barbarian one, thought that was the only one!

- - - Updated - - -

You're missing out man... Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai is AWESOME.. Way better graphics than Empire, yet smooth & fluid enough to not lurch or lag.. And that's on the lil BS laptop I have.

- - - Updated - - -

What I want to know, because there seems to be a couple.. Do females actually play Total War? And find it interesting?

Just curious.

the game is so poorly optimised its a joke. but this is what happens when you do virtually no external testing before release. im lucky in that it plays fine for me, some of the textures look a bit low res compared to some screenshots i've seen, but its not terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah instead you can count on any new factions to be paid dlc other than the ones already talked about like pontus

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    lul

it will still not be quite as good as it would be if the devs would've implemented all these factions from the start, though. unit variety (and balancing!) and faction bonuses may be done by good mods over time, but good fan made voice overs for soldiers of 100 factions? unlikely. so you'll still hear soldiers of the etruscan league shout "for rome!" and the like^^

those reasons are of course most likely also why CA decided to go with the (relatively) few factions we have in vanilla.

from what ive seen most of the lesser factions that were added to basically replace rebels as a stupidly large faction die out in the first 10 orso turns only to get taken over by factions like carthage or the germanic faction to the north

seems all they did by removing rebels is make each end turn wait take longer and longer

So I lied, I played for awhile today. Didn't run into anything game crashing and I was able to get my food shortage fixed. However I'm really really annoyed with routing units. I can have a cav unit running through the routing units and NONE of them die. Then the routing units split into two groups and my cav spends the rest of the time running back and forth to both units killing nothing. So the next turn I end up fighting the same units, and then the next turn.

Now what really pisses me off is when I lose a battle...very rare...It seems my troops just give up and disappear...makes no sense.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oh ive only seen the barbarian one, thought that was the only one!

- - - Updated - - -

the game is so poorly optimised its a joke. but this is what happens when you do virtually no external testing before release. im lucky in that it plays fine for me, some of the textures look a bit low res compared to some screenshots i've seen, but its not terrible.
    It sucks, it's pretty much unplayable for me.. I would have been extremely pissed had I actually paid $60 for it..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    So I lied, I played for awhile today. Didn't run into anything game crashing and I was able to get my food shortage fixed. However I'm really really annoyed with routing units. I can have a cav unit running through the routing units and NONE of them die. Then the routing units split into two groups and my cav spends the rest of the time running back and forth to both units killing nothing. So the next turn I end up fighting the same units, and then the next turn.

Now what really pisses me off is when I lose a battle...very rare...It seems my troops just give up and disappear...makes no sense.
    Are you sure that isn't your men getting over-ran and then routing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh there is a new bit up.

Battle and Unit teams - What we are working on

As you have already heard, the TW team is currently working flat out to fix issues with the game. The highest priority has been given to technical and performance issues, but we are also working on changes that affect AI performance (on battle and campaign).

It’s worth noting that the issues some players are reporting regarding AI behaviour are primarily a result of bugs influencing the input the AI receives before deciding how to react. The brain itself is working but the info it gets isn’t always appropriate.

Like a soccer forward whose team don’t always manage to get the passes to him, he can do all the incredible shots on goal he likes, but he’s going to look silly without a ball.

Of course, that makes no difference to the player, because the end effect is the same, the AI doesn’t perform as it should in some situations. However, it does mean that as various other fixes go in the AI starts getting the right info and you’ll start seeing those issues go away.

Because AI changes have to be effective across all situations in the game, and not create any knock-on problems, they are much more complicated to test, so it’s not always possible to release updates that affect the AI as quickly as we would like – but we are doing everything we can. Over the coming weeks you will begin to notice changes to the AI in campaign and battles as we patch the game. We will also let you know more about those changes as we roll them out.

Beyond technical & AI considerations, various gameplay issues have also been raised, and we wanted to comment on just a few of these, and make a start by explaining some of our thinking behind what’s in the game, and what we intend to do in the near future.

We’ll comment on campaign issues soon, but first – battles.

Capture Points

There has been a lot of hostility to capture points – at least outside of standard siege battles. The battle design plan was for 2 main instances of this kind of battle:

First, when you have a combined battle (land forces and navy fighting on an open field). The capture point was added to force a fight for control of the land, avoiding the situation where a defender, with a reinforcing navy, would be untouchable and thus undefeatable for an attacker without a navy.

The second situation was for an attack on an over-extended enemy army caught in “Forced March” stance. Here the capture point was introduced to reduce defender advantage, and introduce a change in tactics, requiring the defender - who was meant to be on the back foot & unprepared - to defend positions they may not want to defend.

Outside of settlement sieges, the plan was to create a variety of battle experiences in specific circumstances, with a variety of tactical scenarios. The frequency of capture point battles was not intended to be high.

So for patches 3 and onwards, we’re currently testing a number of changes:

First off, attacks on armies in forced march will be ambush battles instead. Ambushes are very intense and have a clear penalty to the defender who is attacked as they are more likely to be overwhelmed by well-prepared attacking forces. It is important there’s a risk to committing to a Forced March stance, and this should help make that more apparent.

Secondly for combined battles, we’ll make sure a capture point only appears when there actually is a reinforcing defender navy taking part in the battle. In all other combined battle instances the capture point will not be present.
    Thirdly we’re increasing the time required to capture the point, to improve the gameplay in the few remaining situations that instigate capture point battles. Small forces making a dash for a strategic position while the rest of the enemy is engaged and distracted should still be a viable and creative tactic if it can be pulled off, but this change will increase the chance of both sides reacting to that in a more realistic way.

Fourth, follow up attacks - attacking a defeated, retreating army - will be treated as a normal battle with any penalties that are accrued as a result of campaign game situation, and the inability to retreat any further without being destroyed.

As a result of all these changes, the frequency of capture point battles should be significantly reduced. We are looking at alternative mechanics to resolve combined land & naval battles. We will talk more about this when we feel we have tested and tried out the possibilities and settled on the best solution.

Guard Mode and Unit ‘Blobbiness’

A number of people have expressed disappointment that we have removed the Guard Mode button. In fact (as many have realised), guard mode behaviour has not been removed – it is now an inherent property of units: they have guard mode behaviour by default. If you want units to chase down routers & retreaters, you have to order them to do so. However, some unintended pursuit actions are occurring and will be fixed in upcoming patches. This should improve some of the line cohesion issues people have been raising. Also, we have fixed an animation control code bug where formed units have not been fighting in a formed manner, causing some “blobbing” issues.

The design intention was to have some unit types (e.g. some less disciplined barbarians) fight in an unformed manner, so on contact that unit would ‘collapse’ into the enemy to find individual targets. Formed units (e.g. your disciplined Roman legionary) are intended to fight in a more rigid manner and try to hold their formation cohesion as much as possible (meaning some unengaged men would stand in position and not seek an enemy target). A specific formed combat bug has been fixed in the forthcoming patch 3, which should significantly improve formed melee behaviour.

We also intended for some traditionally unruly units to not behave as though in guard mode, but instead be undisciplined in their behaviour, and disregard attempts at holding the line if their opponents retreat or route. We are looking at the behaviour of this currently.

Speed of Battles

In terms of battle speed, we are looking to tweak combat with on-going stat balance improvements. We are looking at reducing some run speeds, combat speed, and some morale balancing, but of course it depends on the campaign situation too – strong, disciplined troops are intended to rout light undisciplined men with ease. We also wanted to allow scope for the campaign-derived morale buffs to be significant, but not overpowered. This means un-buffed morale for some weaker/ lighter units needs attention… stat balance updates are coming. We’re also looking at improving missile balance overall.

The first part of this rebalance is in patch 2 with reduction to infantry run speed and tweaks to the morale system with more significant changes in patch 3. We’ll be keeping an eye on community feedback after these patches come out and make further changes based on that.

Special Abilities

A variety of opinions have been expressed about special abilities. To be clear, our design intent is that they are not necessarily meant to turn the tide of battle on their own, nor are most meant to be used all the time and frequently throughout a battle. The design is for them to be used in certain circumstances to provide a reasonable bonus, and for there to be real choice in when players use them. They are not meant to be “magical” and are based on real world behaviour expressed in a game setting. For example: Rallying calls to units, urging your tired troops to fight harder, getting men to run faster by pushing themselves to the limit, calling on their loyalty, threatening them and so on.

We are looking at making a number of changes, particularly in relation to the cool down times and the effects of some abilities. This is a current focus of ours and once we have more definitive plans of what we will be doing with them balance wise we will let you know. Do expect to see changes in patch 3 and upcoming patches. We are also looking at changes to when and how some abilities are triggered and improving their behaviours. These changes can’t always be instant as there are interconnections between Campaign and Battle.

Naval Battles

Many have raised concerns about the balance between transported units and naval ships in naval battles. We are looking at relative strengths of these as well as potential changes on the campaign map as well to improve this situation.

The design intent was that transported armies are weak and vulnerable. Thus moving an army without an escorting fleet should be a bigger risk if they encounter a sufficiently well-armed attacking force. We are looking to address this issue. You will see the first parts of a series of changes in both patches 2 and 3 with further changes occurring in later patches. Some of these changes need to be made across both campaign and battle so aren’t trivial to achieve.

PS: On a point of History

We always look to history for inspiration and if there is any mention of something that seems fun we use that as a basis for a game mechanic. As an example some people have asked where we got the idea for flaming javelins from. Our source in this case was primary. Please refer to Caesar’s Commentaries on the Gallic and Civil Wars.

We hope this not only shows you all that we are looking at raised issues and are making changes to address them but also the design intention behind some of the features in the game as well. These changes will not all come in one update, but we have a number of updates planned already and are working on those full time. Thank you for taking time to read this and for your continued support.
    Glad it sounds like they haven't thrown in the towel yet, but I find myself unsympathetic when they went retail with the game in the state it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know, since I have a pirated version.. Can I manually patch it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know, since I have a pirated version.. Can I manually patch it?
    Don't think so. All the patching is done through Steam. I have not see the patches posted anywhere else.

I don't know what the current state of the game is like now but someone did a really good and honest review on it. Don't know if anyone else has seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

Caution-extreme review.