Poll: Legacy Realms

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I thought pointless threads on this topic were closed on contact. How has this one lasted this long?
    We're keeping one--and only one--thread open about this. For now anyway.

That said, people need to stay on-topic and stop with the chatter about private servers or there will be zero threads open on whether or not Blizzard should do legacy servers.

Discussion about private servers is not allowed and from here on in will be infracted.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-05-27 at 12:55 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Blizzard stated their verdict multiple times on legacy realms: NOT worth the money, never going to happen.

This any many other polls showed that the majority of the community does NOT WANT legacy realms.

Just close this thread and let this topic die already.
    Legacy wow is not going to happen, it is just too big of a money waste in blizzard's eyes - and obviously the majority of the community hates legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

Also. There is NO player in any one of those pirate servers that play the pirate game because they truly think the pirate is better than the original. People playing those pirate servers do not represent lost income for Blizzard because, pirate server or no pirate server, it is very unlikely they would pay Blizzard to play their game.
    There are hundreds of thousands of ex Blizzard customers who do not want to play MoP (Pandas+Pokemon) but they would be back to play on a Legacy Server. I don't play MoP b/c I think that MoP no longer bears any resemblance to World of Warcraft, but I would be back to play on a Blizzard server if they introduced Legacy Servers. Tens maybe hundreds of thousands of ex-Blizzard customers share my opinion and choose not to subscribe because Blizzard has got no Legacy Servers available.

Also, so you can stop thinking your asinine idea of Legacy servers is a good one: Blizzard has no backup of their old content. Do you seriously want the WoW staff to stop working on improving their game, just so they could rebuild the game, from the ground up, back to Vanilla standards? Recreate vanilla bugs? Just so a mere handful of people play said game for a couple weeks and then stop? Tell me: just WHERE in the world have you seen a practice even similar to this one, and still worked out successfully?
    I am sure that Blizzard has retained copies of every single build they have ever made despite of their protests to the contrary. Setting up a Legacy Server is a simple process as Jack-The Guy-With a Barn proves. I really have no interest in what they call modern World of Warcraft, but if you would like the Devs to work on improving MoP more maybe you should ask them to stop working on Pet Battles/Pokemon and focus on the big picture?

In any case, Blizzard starting Legacy Servers is a good idea as it would bring back ex-customers like yours truly (and many thousands of others) alongwith their money and new subs. Blizzard is a "for profit" company, and while +200,000 subs from ex-customers who would re-sub to play on Legacy Servers may not seem to be a big deal when the game had 8.3 million a few weeks ago, Blizzard will change their mind the more their playerbase shrinks. Eventually, Blizzard is 100% sure to start Legacy servers simply because doing so would produce revenue. It is not a question of if it is a question of when.

In the market's opinion, WoW has entered the downward spiral of its -quite inevitable- decline since CATA, and this process is quite irreversible. Right now, people who want to play Legacy WoW like me get no respect from Blizzard simply because the revenue we would produce is deemed to be insignificant compared to what they are getting out of retail. However, the shrinking of the playerbase is an ongoing and irreversible process, which means that mathematically Blizzard is bound to listen to us when their playerbase has shrunk enough.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-05-27 at 11:19 AM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Pretty sure blizzard thought of this legacy server concept and decided it is not worth the money.

Plus they commented many times on it, again stating it is not worth the effort + they do not like old client builds with old mechanics and old classes and old bugs.

Just stop talking about legacy servers, they will simply never happen. Go use the pirate ones.

Quite a few people would do legacy realms, have to keep in consideration that each person is $15 dollars a month if they don't buy character changes an stuff... might be worth the time and effort of Blizzard to implement said realms
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

I agree that Blizz would make many people happy offering legacy servers.

I also agree that the amount of people who post in this thread stating these threads are pointless is too damn high. Stay out if you do not like it or do not want to contribute, that is an easy concept but hard to follow apparently.

The poll numbers in this thread show a significant number want and hope for legacy servers. Why is this so? I say it is because MOP is really disappointing is a main reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    The poll numbers in this thread show a significant number want and hope for legacy servers. Why is this so? I say it is because MOP is really disappointing is a main reason.
    Are you high out of your mind? Significant? You clearly can not read results even when the numbers are right in front of you. Less than 300 are interested in legacy servers and even worse than that, it is spread out completely. If you were to get any population saying they wanted legacy servers, it would be on MMO Champ due to the amount of people who 'can't move on' or 'just like to see what's happening ATM' but you can't even get the support here. Like many have stated, Legacy Servers are just a gimmick - a server that would never patch or update. Even worse, people would expect updates on those servers because they're a paying customer. This will never work out due to low churning population and people realizing it isn't the same.

The good news is that Blizzard will never do this. It may be possible for later expansions but I guarantee code for 1.12 does not exist on their end. I bet they do have 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc but guarantee that they did not save code from inbetween. Anyone who does any code management, especially for a product that is 8 years old and has as much code churn as WoW, knows that it is a huge amount of information to store and usually for no reason. For those that feel Blizzard is spitting in your face by not offering you legacy realms/bending to your will, you may as well get some lube as you're going to be screwed by Blizzard for a very long time.

Significant, hah - fucking hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Are you high out of your mind? Significant? You clearly can not read results even when the numbers are right in front of you. Less than 300 are interested in legacy servers and even worse than that, it is spread out completely. If you were to get any population saying they wanted legacy servers, it would be on MMO Champ due to the amount of people who 'can't move on' or 'just like to see what's happening ATM' but you can't even get the support here. Like many have stated, Legacy Servers are just a gimmick - a server that would never patch or update. Even worse, people would expect updates on those servers because they're a paying customer. This will never work out due to low churning population and people realizing it isn't the same.

The good news is that Blizzard will never do this. It may be possible for later expansions but I guarantee code for 1.12 does not exist on their end. I bet they do have 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc but guarantee that they did not save code from inbetween. Anyone who does any code management, especially for a product that is 8 years old and has as much code churn as WoW, knows that it is a huge amount of information to store and usually for no reason. For those that feel Blizzard is spitting in your face by not offering you legacy realms/bending to your will, you may as well get some lube as you're going to be screwed by Blizzard for a very long time.

Significant, hah - fucking hilarious.
    You do realize that poll numbers on a random thread on this board represents only a fraction of the population. If you were to do the sensible thing and look at the percentages, you'd realize there is more than enough support. They only really need a small fraction, probably 10% or so, to be willing to pay to play on these servers to turn a profit (probably less, really). As it turns out, judging by this poll, the total number is quite larger. They would turn a profit. Significance doesn't require a majority.

I would never play on legacy realms, for the same reason I would never use dial up internet again or go to black and white movie theaters or watch TV on an antenna.

Progress is good.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    I would never play on legacy realms, for the same reason I would never use dial up internet again or go to black and white movie theaters or watch TV on an antenna.

Progress is good.
    lol i agree, I really don't get this nostalgia thing people have with WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post

Progress is good.
    Except increasing the speed of data transfer and adding color to things are regarded as positive things to all people. The changes in WoW are not.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatboll View Post
    They'll have plenty of left over servers once the mergers finally happen, there's no need to buy new ones.
    With all due respect, are you that stupid to believe that its just the cost of a computer that's keeping Blizzard from making classic servers? lol There are so many costs in maintaining every server in WoW, that it would be cheaper to turn them off and throw them away (or sell them) than to maintain a server that doesn't at least pull its own weight. Wow still has 8 million subscribers. Any feature that they didn't believe would catch the interests of Millions of players long-term would not even be considered by Blizzard. The amounts of revenue these private servers may be generating is nothing compared to the millions and millions of dollars in revenue WoW makes each month off their present model. I doubt Blizzard misses the money that those private server people bring in.

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 11:05 PM ----------

They are regarded as positive things to millions of people we like to call satisfied WoW subscribers like myself

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 11:07 PM ----------

No, because they have said that the costs of running these servers would be equivalent to running 2 games. Therefore it would require 30-50% of the playerbase to want it to turn a profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been unsubbed for about a year and have been on both a Wrath and Vanilla realm. I'm actually logging in more now than when I was subbed to retail lol I would definitely pay for a real Blizzlike experience with no bugged quests and stuff, though.

I know it won't ever happen so I'm happy with what I've got for the time being, better than nothing, but I would 100% be willing to pay for the real deal.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    There are hundreds of thousands of ex Blizzard customers who do not want to play MoP (Pandas+Pokemon) but they would be back to play on a Legacy Server. I don't play MoP b/c I think that MoP no longer bears any resemblance to World of Warcraft, but I would be back to play on a Blizzard server if they introduced Legacy Servers. Tens maybe hundreds of thousands of ex-Blizzard customers share my opinion and choose not to subscribe because Blizzard has got no Legacy Servers available.

I am sure that Blizzard has retained copies of every single build they have ever made despite of their protests to the contrary. Setting up a Legacy Server is a simple process as Jack-The Guy-With a Barn proves. I really have no interest in what they call modern World of Warcraft, but if you would like the Devs to work on improving MoP more maybe you should ask them to stop working on Pet Battles/Pokemon and focus on the big picture?

In any case, Blizzard starting Legacy Servers is a good idea as it would bring back ex-customers like yours truly (and many thousands of others) alongwith their money and new subs. Blizzard is a "for profit" company, and while +200,000 subs from ex-customers who would re-sub to play on Legacy Servers may not seem to be a big deal when the game had 8.3 million a few weeks ago, Blizzard will change their mind the more their playerbase shrinks. Eventually, Blizzard is 100% sure to start Legacy servers simply because doing so would produce revenue. It is not a question of if it is a question of when.

In the market's opinion, WoW has entered the downward spiral of its -quite inevitable- decline since CATA, and this process is quite irreversible. Right now, people who want to play Legacy WoW like me get no respect from Blizzard simply because the revenue we would produce is deemed to be insignificant compared to what they are getting out of retail. However, the shrinking of the playerbase is an ongoing and irreversible process, which means that mathematically Blizzard is bound to listen to us when their playerbase has shrunk enough.
    Why are you so sure Blizzard has retained these copies? What info do you have on the subject to call Blizzard liars about this? Secondly, WoW will die, as will the current model of subscription based MMO's. However, Blizzard will not invest more money on a dyeing game, they will simply End WoW and work on a new game (Ever heard of Titan?). Blizzard will simply let WoW die an move on to a new project before they will ever go back to the past and invest more money in a declining game. Simple as that! You're dreams will simply never be answered

Opinion: Legacy servers are a waste of resources, Mists is the best expansion to date.
    Fact: Blizzard will not put money into this, 2 reasons, look at the poll, very few people actually want it, just because the minority that do want it are very loud doesn't mean everyone does and its not like blizzard has a backup server handy with all the legacy content, they would have to redo it all over again.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    People will be willing to pay for a better experience. I for one wouldn't play on private servers if Blizzard offered the same service for a price, because then I'd be able to play Vanilla/TBC/WolK but with the benefits of less lag, fewer bugs and better customer service that I could expect from a Blizzard run server.
    Good point. Sounds like that would cost money! Isn't that why Blizzard has been saying no all along? The real WoW runs so well because Blizzard puts millions into the game, because they don't support half-assed content in their game. If you want cheap to maintain, you would get a halfassed server, and that's why Blizzard will never do it. They wouldn't do it unless they could do it properly, and since they can't at a cost that's at all reasonable to expect they would make a good profit on their investment like they do from us currently in current WoW, they simple won't do it. Let other people run their cheap half-assed servers and take the flack for having a lower quality product - Blizzard wouldn't and won't stoop that low. Gotta get it through your heads guys, Blizzard will never allocate resources to this idea because they couldn't afford to do it properly and have it still be a viable business model.

Smaller thread on the exact same subject gets locked, but this abomination raises it's big ugly head again.

Please, kill this one too mods.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    When Blizzard can't make enough money and maintain enough subscribers from their current WoW game, they will let it decline and start promoting Titan. They will never Backtrack. It doesn't make sense to invest resources in old at the expense of new stuff which will appeal to the much greater masses and generate much greater revenue and profits. Blizzard is a business!

Quote Originally Posted by Rielthas View Post
    Blizzard is a business!
    If it has a chance to make additional income and enough people demand it, Blizzard will make it. Legacy servers are a common way to "Bring back" people long gone from a game, and the last ditch effort to obtain any money left from some companies product. If were going down the investment to reward ratio.

Waste of money idea that should never happen. One ppl liked different parts and patches of each expansion are we going to make servers for each major patch too? The shine would wear off quick then ppl would bitch they didnt get enough real content.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."