Thread: Starting a diet

Starting a diet

Im going to start a diet next monday. It consists of licensed shakes and soups. Each day I will only bring in roughly 550 calories a day. Im a male so I heard I need 2000+ each day.

I got some stomach fat I want to get rid off. The diet lasts for 21 days. Has anyone had any experience with such diets? The shakes have all the nutritions and vitamins your body needs a day, it only cuts out the calories. (The shakes are called Nutrilett).
    Ill also go for a jog 4 times a week while I do the diet. Im a male, about 178 tall, weighting rhougly 70-75 kilos right now. So yeh, anyone with experience of diets like these and how was it like? Will I quickly regain weight after the 21 days when I go back to normal eating?
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

10+ Year Old Account
    I think diets are flat out stupid. You're better off sitting down and studying what each nutrient does to your body... learning the difference between fast carbs and slow carbs... how your body breaks down each one... You also need to know what your body does when it doesn't have any nutrients to use. There's a lot for you to learn and it'll be easy as cake when you get it all down. You're only going to confuse yourself by jumping from diet to diet.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I think diets are flat out stupid. You're better off sitting down and studying what each nutrient does to your body... learning the difference between fast carbs and slow carbs... how your body breaks down each one... You also need to know what your body does when it doesn't have any nutrients to use. There's a lot for you to learn and it'll be easy as cake when you get it all down. You're only going to confuse yourself by jumping from diet to diet.
    Well its basicly just one diet for 21 days. I wont change diets during it, its a program. You get a package of supplies that are going to last for 21 days
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

This is a terrible idea. First of all 550 calories each day is not enough. If you were to do a tumbling cycle like 550, 800, 1000 you'd do a lot better. Second of all, you wont even have the energy to run on 550 calories.

Oh, and forget going back to a normal diet, you will gain everything back you lost in probably half the time it took you do lose it. Your body wont have had any time to adjust to its new weight. You'll shoot back up so fast your head will spin.

I'm not dietary genius by any means but eating so substantially below your BMR is a terrible idea. The body can only metabolize so much fat in a day. Average male needs at least 1500 calories per day. If you're exercising at the same time there's no reason for you not to meet that and still lose weight.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    To echo the statements above; terrible idea. Generally shortcut diets have zero results in long term on people, extreme diets like this will make you lose weight at first as you'd expect, but unless you stick to a calorie restrictive diet from now on, you will gain the lost weight fast again.

A diet is a significant lifestyle change, you can't measure it in some amount of time. Well, you definitely can't see significant results in 3 weeks rofl.

It sounds bogus to me, I wouldn't do it. Sounds like a scam to be honest. Not a scam, but a useless product.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    A diet is a significant lifestyle change, you can't measure it in some amount of time. Well, you definitely can't see significant results in 3 weeks rofl.

It sounds bogus to me, I wouldn't do it. Sounds like a scam to be honest. Not a scam, but a useless product.
    Oh you can see significant change in 3 weeks, I dropped 9lbs pounds in 3 weeks. The problems here, is this particular diet isn't really healthy and that makes it a bad diet. You want the weight off and most importantly for it to stay off, you have to make a lifestyle change. Every winter I gain about 10-15 lbs of blubber. Every spring\summer I drop it off, rinse and repeat. This year, I changed some things around and didn't gain any weight. Still ate pretty much all I wanted, whenever I wanted. I just cut back on sugary foods, coffee, sodas, breads etc etc.

You want to drop down to a 1500 calorie diet to get some quick pounds off, I say sure, go ahead. But if you don't have a long term plan to keep it off, then you'll just yo-yo and most time add more back on then you started with.

Maybe as a 6'2 male I have it better than most, I can drop weight (10-15lbs) with just cutting out junk food and half ass jogging\eliptical running.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-05-14 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcatabeta View Post
    Each day I will only bring in roughly 550 calories a day.
    This is a horrible, horrible idea that no one should ever recommend to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone here not noticing that he weighs 70-75kg over 178cm. For a normal male thats on the border to underweight.

You are most likely what people are calling Skinny-fat. If you want to look better naked you need to eat MUCH more and Workout HARD.

I would suggest 2.300-2.500 Calories a day. With 150g protein, 75g+ Fat and rest with carbs. And looking into a program like Starting Strenght

About the Shake Diet:
    That diet is made for people twice your weight. You shouldnt even consider doing it. Most likely after that diet you would just look like a smaller version of your former self.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcatabeta View Post
    Im going to start a diet next monday. It consists of licensed shakes and soups. Each day I will only bring in roughly 550 calories a day. Im a male so I heard I need 2000+ each day.

I got some stomach fat I want to get rid off. The diet lasts for 21 days. Has anyone had any experience with such diets? The shakes have all the nutritions and vitamins your body needs a day, it only cuts out the calories. (The shakes are called Nutrilett).
    Ill also go for a jog 4 times a week while I do the diet. Im a male, about 178 tall, weighting rhougly 70-75 kilos right now. So yeh, anyone with experience of diets like these and how was it like? Will I quickly regain weight after the 21 days when I go back to normal eating?
    Do a diet like that and I will guarantee you that you will gain fat instead of losing, with such extreme calorie deficit your body will just store everything that enters as fat.

If your really serious about losing weight, you'll eat your 2000 calc ( or more depends on each person ) a day and you'll go for a run 1 hour a day and do some fitness, in time you'll lose weight, it will take time, but it won't hurt your body or make you fatter.

Deleted
    Depends on your bodyfat. When I go in season I diet with like 1k calorie deficit. But your 550 calories per day sounds kinda extreme. Remember, if you are under 15% bodyfat, you need to plan refeeds to at least "prevent" in some way a metabolic slowdown(refeeds will keep your leptin levels in check, along with testosterone and some other hormones). Keep in mind, that with extreme diets a metabolic slowdown comes much faster. After you are done with your diet start increasing your calories a bit till you reach your maintenance level(reverse dieting).

Moreover, I just saw you "heard' you need 2k calories per day. Bullshit, it depends on many factors. You need to find out how many calories you need approximately.
    I'd say you better spend the next 24h reading the losing fat section of bodybuilding forums(http address not given to prevent advertisement accusations, just search google). You could also try EC stack but that is a little extreme unless you are an athlete, plus it has health risks you need to consider.

There are many things you need to to learn, but they are already written on other forums.

Btw, do not listen to broscience, your body does not burn muscle instead of fat in extreme deficits neither does it store everything into fat. There is no true "starvation mode". Just try lots of caloric deficit plans and see what works best for you.

/Longtimelurker out
    Last edited by mmoc28faeb10c2; 2013-05-14 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Obvious View Post
    I'd say you better spend the next 24h reading the losing fat section of bodybuilding forums(http address not given to prevent advertisement accusations, just search google).
    Good tips. Here's the mentioned forum: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16