Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Would depopulating the Earth be such a bad thing?

As terrible as it may sound, the world would be a better place if a few billion people died off. I'm not saying we should commit genocide or anything, merely pointing this out. Do you think we would be better or worse off with a more sustainable populace?

And how would these billions die? War?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhh... Probably.

I'd say birth licenses would probably be a better way of controlling the population (of course, that sort of system depends on making a worldwide alliance- good luck with that shit).

Quote Originally Posted by haaku View Post
    And how would these billions die? War?
    War, disease, mass starvation, etc.

Pick your poison.

We'll just end up reproducing again, might take a few hundred years but eventually you'll have 7+ billion people again. I don't see why this is necessary though, the world can sustain a whole lot more people than we have now.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Uhhh... Probably.

I'd say birth licenses would probably be a better way of controlling the population (of course, that sort of system depends on making a worldwide alliance- good luck with that shit).
    Agreed. In order to receive a birth license, you would have to take a series of tests to prove that you're intelligent enough to breed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current population already is sustainable. From what I recall, the US alone produces (or can produce) enough food to feed something like 10 billion people. It's just profit became more important than compassion.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Earth can still have more people and is nowhere full in either capacity or essential resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Agreed. In order to receive a birth license, you would have to take a series of tests to prove that you're intelligent enough to breed.
    Conservatives: Stalwart defenders of personal liberty.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    The current population already is sustainable. From what I recall, the US alone produces (or can produce) enough food to feed something like 10 billion people. It's just profit became more important than compassion.
    The Earth can hold about 60 billion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That gave me a good laugh, well caught Ruken.

As terrible as it may sound, the world would be a better place if a few billion people died off. I'm not saying we should commit genocide or anything, merely pointing this out. Do you think we would be better or worse off with a more sustainable populace?
    Would you be willing to be part of that "few billion"?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Earth would be better off with smarter, more considerate people.

Yes because by what criteria would we select someone to die? You may think it would be justified to simply kill the ones who committed crimes but if it became a reality that choosing who to die is valid, there'd be nothing to stop someone from saying those you love should suffer the same fate. Once that door of legal choice is open, you just become another unsuspecting victim for someone else.

Good thing I'm a moderate then.

We should also return to an agrarian society.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Earth can hold about 60 billion.
    Are we talking about absolute max capacity, or that it can hold that much comfortably? (I'm really not sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Are we talking about absolute max capacity, or that it can hold that much comfortably? (I'm really not sure)
    I'm talking resource-wise.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:08 PM ----------

Good thing I'm a moderate then.

We should also return to an agrarian society.
    No, you're really not. You're a reactionary, a stalwart authoritarian.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    How do you plan on enforcing this "birth license"? Like China does/did it? Are you going to fine people that don't apply? What about accidental pregnancies? Forced abortions? Prison? Will there be a growing portion of the population living in some kinda of parallell society where they remained unregistered? How are we going to get the whole world to subscribe to that idea. Will the man or woman apply or will it be a married couples thing only? If I as a man impregnate two women have they used up their license but mine is still vaild or? How did you imagine that this birth license would work, or was it just a test that you pass and then you can go about breeding like bunnies?
    Last edited by looorg; 2013-05-16 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking resource-wise.
    Alright, that's what I thought you were talking about, but wanted to be sure.

Deleted
    Sure,everyone who thinks world would be better with less people,can start with themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a completely abstract perspective sure, the earth would be better off with fewer people. However having to end lives to accomplish that goal isn't good. If people just had fewer kids overall and we just naturally reduced the population over time that's fine.

People who are saying that the earth can support more seem to be turning a blind eye to the resource disparity in countries and the fact that just because there is enough good to feed everyone doesn't mean they have access to it.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.