Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will humanity ever make a real Rapture or Columbia?

For those unaware, Rapture is a massive city under the Atlantic Ocean, and is featured as the main setting of Bioshock and its sequel, while Columbia is a massive city floating in the skies, and is featured as the main setting of Bioshock Infinite.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I could see Rapture, with ocean's water rising and rising, but i highly doubt it would be possible to make such an "open" Columbia as it showed in game, that is way too fucking dangerous.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Rapture: Yes, but it won't be anything like the one in Bioshock.

Columbia: No, energy demand would be too high.

As an underwater city on its own, no rules that Rapture provided, yes I would like to see that if it helps advance man into living off the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    For those unaware, Rapture is a massive city under the Atlantic Ocean, and is featured as the main setting of Bioshock and its sequel, while Columbia is a massive city floating in the skies, and is featured as the main setting of Bioshock Infinite.
    Probably not what you are expecting, but it has been proposed that a city in a bubble could float on venus' thick atmosphere, it is one of the more hospitable places in solar system. I can't see why anyone would actually do that here on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus

An underwater city has the practical benefit of not being subject to the relatively violent surface of the ocean, that one might be a winner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe a Rapture like place, as someone else said, not like from Bioshock, but close enough I guess. Doubtful (and I mean, VERY, very highly doubtful) will we ever see a floating Columbia in the near future.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Probably not what you are expecting, but it has been proposed that a city in a bubble could float on venus' thick atmosphere, it is one of the more hospitable places in solar system.
    *daydreaming* I think this would happen:
    Quote Originally Posted by BREAKING NEWS BULLETIN! View Post
    The floating Venusian cities Cypris and Aphrodite had a catastrophic engineering malfunction, and fell, burning into the lava flats of the planet's surface.
    Yup, I can see it now.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2013-05-25 at 03:03 PM.

Deleted
    Certainly. It's really not that big of a deal to build a city under water. The problem is the costs and I don't think we'll see one until humanity is obligated to leave the surface.

Something like Columbia...nah, I don't think so. Just imagine what would happen if terrorists sabotaged a couple of engines. Too much liability for a flying city.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rapture, maybe.
    Columbia, not possible for a very very long time I'd imagine... Can you imagine the energy cost and demand?
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Not likely. Any society based on that extreme ideology would implode long before they got that far along.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, there is a difference. He didn't ment cities with such community like those two, he was just talking about the possibility of those cites itself
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Rapture always seemed like a bad idea to me... too many ways that the entire city could be destroyed. Why add the dangerous element of being in pressurized buildings underwater - it's like asking for a disaster. Of course in a video game - it was an incredible idea, I loved it!

Deleted
    I think establishing a base on the moon is easier then establishing a base in the ocean depts. We know more about the moon then about the bottem or our own oceans

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Rapture always seemed like a bad idea to me... too many ways that the entire city could be destroyed. Why add the dangerous element of being in pressurized buildings underwater - it's like asking for a disaster. Of course in a video game - it was an incredible idea, I loved it!
    Not really. Even ships have modules. If one module gets flooded it quickly gets closed down and separated from the rest, in order to avoid a general flooding. A city would obviously have large modules as well. So no, unless many modules get broken at the same time, like from a bombardment, a city can't be flooded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    Not really. Even ships have modules. If one module gets flooded it quickly gets closed down and separated from the rest, in order to avoid a general flooding. A city would obviously have large modules as well. So no, unless many modules get broken at the same time, like from a bombardment, a city can't be flooded.
    Sounds like the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Probably not what you are expecting, but it has been proposed that a city in a bubble could float on venus' thick atmosphere, it is one of the more hospitable places in solar system. I can't see why anyone would actually do that here on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus

An underwater city has the practical benefit of not being subject to the relatively violent surface of the ocean, that one might be a winner.
    You would trade that in for the violent tides, currents and creatures of the ocean, you don't think it is only the water on the top that moves and crashes around do you?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post

I guess I meant more to the point of what benefit is there to doing this and living like that underwater (kinda dangerously). Seems like it would make everything harder on life that is not meant to live underwater.

Deleted
    No. You wouldn't be able to breathe normally, and you would freeze to death on Columbia. As for Rapture, so many things can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    No. You wouldn't be able to breathe normally, and you would freeze to death on Columbia. As for Rapture, so many things can go wrong.
    There is at least one high end underwater resort/hotel so the door is open a bit. Unless something happened on the surface of the planet and ppl were force to live underwater I don't see it happening though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Sounds like the Titanic.
    it's still a sound principle, and modern ships use it. titanic's issue was that they 1: left ways around it (rather bizarre choice tbh), and 2: there is still a limit to how much damage a ship can sustain and stay afloat
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.