how to get play time in

So my parents hardly let me play the game. So I have always played at night. But now that I've gotten older and sleep through my alarm. So does anyone have any tips?

What does your schedule typically look like? If you're unable to fit in playtime during the day, you should't really be playing much. Playing at night can develop into a very bad habit that will very negatively affect your school and possibly your social life. WoW is actually a fairly large cause for freshman dropouts in college, because they don't have their parents on their ass anymore but stop going to class, or put off work until right before a test, etc. It's "the cool thing" to not study and do okay in school, but falling into that trend always ends in hilarity when you get past calculus I and such.

I guess I'm rambling.

TLDR:

Don't bother playing if you have to sacrifice sleep because you've got real-life limitations on the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll agree with Badpaladin.

While WoW wasn't around when I was in school, I was distracted by other things. In hindsight I would have put a lot more effort into schooling. It doesn't seem like it now but getting ahead early on is the best thing you can do for yourself. There will always be video games, but you really only get one shot at your education. I'm 30 now. If I was to go earn a degree I would have to pay for tuition, books etc, on top of my living expenses. It's a tough road to travel down.

Use your youth wisely. There is plenty of time to have fun when you're ahead.

Deleted
    My solution to this is drinking lot of Coca Cola, some of my friends drink energy beverages which is even worse.
    Now, I dont mean I do this every night, I do this in LAN-parties with my friends, for example when WotLK came out and we're planning to do same with Cata next weekend.

Anyhow I'm definitely not recommending doing it like that, like Badpaladin said before, it starts affecting real life, and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Naamari View Post
    like Badpaladin said before, it starts affecting real life, and not in a good way.
    Yup, and the longer you do it, the longer you'll suffer from it, even waaay after you stopped.

I'm lucky i've got insomnia so i sleep 2 hours a day if that. I tend to have a lot of time on my hands and wow helps alot.

When I was in high school I would sneak into my parents office to play Diablo I all night, and quickly had the same problem of sleeping through school. I found a really good way to balance game time and school/sports/actual social life. Instead of staying up way too late, start waking up extra early. I would get up at 4am and play for a couple hours while slowly getting ready. Having an absolute end-time (when school started) was the only way I could keep myself from spending way too much time on the game/staying up way too late, and I was a lot more awake for my morning classes too!

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    What does your schedule typically look like? If you're unable to fit in playtime during the day, you should't really be playing much. Playing at night can develop into a very bad habit that will very negatively affect your school and possibly your social life. WoW is actually a fairly large cause for freshman dropouts in college, because they don't have their parents on their ass anymore but stop going to class, or put off work until right before a test, etc. It's "the cool thing" to not study and do okay in school, but falling into that trend always ends in hilarity when you get past calculus I and such.

I guess I'm rambling.

TLDR:

Don't bother playing if you have to sacrifice sleep because you've got real-life limitations on the game.
    Ya, u sound like my parents, but its true, used to do ok in school, but as a senior now, im doing quite horrible. I guess I will just play when I can during the day.

Heres how you can handle it, get a good "casual" weekend raiding guild, leave the weekdays for schoolwork and daily quests, don't do anything major on school nights like raids etc, that will just mess your concetration and cut into mandatory study time which you definately need.some people like me are too busy for any serious raiding so i focus on pvp alot, it's easier for my schedule.
    Also it would help alot to get your time organized around a plan, make a quick one like how much time you wanna spend a night for wow, studying and homework , should only take a few seconds, put that on a sticky note and stick to it, then make adjustments over the week as necessary to make sure you ALWAYS get your homework and study competed.if you stick to it religiously you won't fail at whatever you have planned on it, be it school (or wow lol)
    Last edited by walexia; 2010-12-09 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhosis View Post
    I'm lucky i've got insomnia so i sleep 2 hours a day if that. I tend to have a lot of time on my hands and wow helps alot.
    i guess the answer is start havin some bad insomnia X] lol
    works for me and Rhosis here : P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmobud888 View Post
    So my parents hardly let me play the game. So I have always played at night. But now that I've gotten older and sleep through my alarm. So does anyone have any tips?
    Sounds like you need to exercise some self discipline and maybe get a Sonic Boom Alarm clock.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK

Quote Originally Posted by mmobud888 View Post
    Ya, u sound like my parents, but its true, used to do ok in school, but as a senior now, im doing quite horrible. I guess I will just play when I can during the day.

Sounds to me like you should worry more about school and grades and less about playing games. I cared more about games, friends and my boyfriend in HS so my grades were horrible. I then grew up after HS and wished I had cared about my grades and the classes I took.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Sounds like you need to exercise some self discipline and maybe get a Sonic Boom Alarm clock.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK
    How did you even find a thread this far back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah we're going to close this ancient necro. I was puzzled when I saw everyone (and the quotes) say Badpaladin (though I knew him by that name) until I realized how old this was.