Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Theres no indication in anything datamined from 5.4 about rexxar so I'm gonna go on a limb and say Rexxar will not be warcheif.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeryana View Post
    I guess they haven't learned what happens when you put 100% of power in the hands of one individual.
    Whatever they want to happen since they are writing the story?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

If Blizzard was going to introduce Rexxar as the new Warchief, they would have had to have brought him back for MOP. It would be very strange to have the new warchief completely alienated from the Horde during this period of civil war, then suddenly come back when all the bloodshed is over and claim the throne. ESPECIALLY when that character has a disdain for cities and civilization. At MOST I could see him becoming a racial leader for mok'nathal as a new horde race. But it would make 0 sense for him to come out of the blue and take up the warchief mantle when he's been absent since BC.

Now, if he'd shown up in 5.0 or 5.1 and had a story arc building him up into a leadership role then maybe, MAYBE he could have been warchief. But he's been absent all expansion, and there is no indication he'll be there in 5.4 yet, especially in any sort of important role.

So is it 'possible' that Rexxar will become warchief? Yes, but it's also 'possible' Varian will die and Tiron will come back to the Alliance to lead it. Blizz could do it if they really wanted but that doesn't mean it'd make any sense.

rexxar is really just 1 of those 15 min fame quest giver who dont really have any impact to be as warchief

Rexxar won't take/want the mantle. he's happy to live the way he is and would never move to the city. if we were invading/getting invaded I could see him being involved, but not as the Warchief.

Deleted
    Khal Drogo for warchief

Deleted
    I know Rexxar, Trassk, I also said he is getting older and might want to settle down and I also said he has hanged around his father who is leader of the Mok'nathal. Rexxar is not young and like other free-spirits like Cairne he can decide put on the mantle of leadership. That he distrusts the Horde is obvious from the intro when you start Act I WC3 Rexxar's campaign, yet his history is he did fight with the old horde, he did build Durotar and saved the Horde, became leader of the Stonemaul Ogres, his father is leader of Mok'nathal, so leading is not something that is unthinkable as you make him out to be, not as linear as you make him out to be and with age more reason to settle down. Also, he could just have ignored the Mok'nathal in TBC and we wouldn't have had to do all those quests and deal with the Ogre factions there. Politics are not beyond Rexxar.

To Florena, not everything is known about 5.4, who all the participants will be, the latest news on the frontpage is,
    Vol'jin: Almost all of da troops be here now.
    Baine Bloodhoof: I am uneasy, old firend.
    Vol'jin: An me as well. We dun know what Garrosh been plannin this whole time. What he's got in store for us.
    Baine Bloodhoof: I fear for the safety of our people.

In WC3 Rexxar brought together all kinds of allies for the campaign against Admiral Proudmoore (Jaina's father), why would Vol'jin who is desperate for allies ignore horde/horde-friendly forces in Outland in this hour of need?

Blizzard said the next Warchief will be unexpected, as in not Vol'jin because he is the one people have been expecting. So, who will it be? Baine? Uh...? He is just some random cow that hasn't done anything. If not for Rexxar, Baine would have been killed by the Centaur. Gamon?...Plz no..
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2013-06-21 at 03:36 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I fear to say Vol'jin might be the new warchief, but I'm praying that he's not. He seems a bit soft, and nothing compared to Garrosh. I can only hope that whoever rises to warchief, will take a piece of what Garrosh had at firsthand and continues on that path.

Deleted
    Since i am ok with Thrall becoming neutral, I can't really see a fitting orc for warchief. It is strange, that they did not use the opportunity to build one up in mop. Besides Nazgrim and Dezco there are really no charaters that had fitting lore. Even those to dont really have the fitting lore for it. I am looking forward to the solution blizz will come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    I know Rexxar, Trassk, I also said he is getting older and might want to settle down and I also said he has hanged around his father who is leader of the Mok'nathal. Rexxar is old and like other free-spirits like Cairne he can decide put on the mantle of leadership. That he distrusts the Horde is obvious from the intro when you start Act I WC3 Rexxar's campaign, yet his history is he did fight with the old horde, he did build Durotar and saved the Horde, became leader of the Stonemaul Ogres, his father is leader of Mok'nathal, so leading is not something that is unthinkable as you make him out to be, not as linear as you make him out to be and with age more reason to settle down. Also, he could just have ignored the Mok'nathal in TBC and we wouldn't have had to do all those quests and deal with the Ogre factions there. Politics are not beyond Rexxar.

To Florena, not everything is known about 5.4, who all the participants will be, the latest news on the frontpage is,
    Vol'jin: Almost all of da troops be here now.
    Baine Bloodhoof: I am uneasy, old firend.
    Vol'jin: An me as well. We dun know what Garrosh been plannin this whole time. What he's got in store for us.
    Baine Bloodhoof: I fear for the safety of our people.

In WC3 Rexxar brought together all kinds of allies for the campaign against Admiral Proudmoore (Jaina's father), why would Vol'jin who is desperate for allies ignore horde/horde-friendly forces in Outland in this hour of need?

Blizzard said the next Warchief will be unexpected, as in not Vol'jin because he is the one people have been expecting. So, who will it be? Baine? Uh...? He is just some random cow that hasn't done anything. Gamon?...Plz no..
    It's still possible Rexxar will show up but so far there is no indication of him. No reference to him from the voice files we do have, no appearance of him. And even if he does show up with some ogres or mok'nathal during the siege, does that really make him warchief material? Even IF he does decide he wants to settle down that doesn't mean he wants to settle down as the leader of one of Azeroths' two great superpowers, of which he hasn't been involved with for years. I think him winning over his father and settling down to lead his tribe out in Outland would be a more fitting 'settle down to lead' role than frickin Warchief of the Horde.

If and when we get some datamined info showing Rexxar not only AT the Siege but also taking on a big leadership role and story development to push him towards taking such a mantle, then ok I'll yield that it might happen. But do you really think blizz would leave the new warchief out of the story until the last chapter of the expansion?

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 10:39 AM ----------

Also when did they say the next warchief will be unexpected?

Deleted
    Florena, Blue Blizzard has said that the next Warchief will be someone unexpected it's a surprise. Their words, not mine. Their intent is to have us guessing who will step up and claim the title, or have the title by circumstance land on the next warchief that it becomes natural.

As for Mok'nathal and Rexxar's father, their dislike was the old demonic Horde, they didn't want to help it, but fighting it, well they couldn't do so considering it was a superpower on Draenor. But with this new Horde and it being split they might decide to lend their aid. There could also be another angle, the next expansion, Outland could see the signs of the Burning Legion returning in power again, before citizens of Azeroth do and decide there is no other way but to go to war. If there is going to be a Burning Legion expansion that is. But I can't see the link between Burning Legion and someone like Gamon, Vol'jin...

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Also when did they say the next warchief will be unexpected?
    It has been on the frontpage of mmo-champion several times.

Other possible leaders,
    Vol'jin? Kills too many orcs and divisive, although not in a bad way

Lor'themar? Well prettyboy gets hurt, we heard from soundfile and he leans too much towards Alliance for my taste...

Baine? He is just around...but I would be ok with him, he's not a bad guy although I'm suspicious of his no action vs Garrosh after Cairne's death.

Gamon? Joke character...plz god no...it would be like making Hogger leader of the Alliance.

Sylvannas? Cool but she's evil and wouldn't be accepted, especially not after 1st demonic horde n todays Garrosh twisted Horde, going darker is not attractive...

Goblin leader? Fat Goblin enslaved his own people...

Thrall? Leave his shaman responsibilities? Add his bad choices, choosing Garrosh, and Goblin leader considering Thrall used to be a slave himself...it's like giving Blackmoore a Horde position...that is Lorelol though, Thrall would never have chosen such a scumbag.

Chen? Seems pretty neutral, and drunk.
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2013-06-21 at 04:02 PM.

The burning legion is already coming, but we don't know for sure yet that it's the next expansion. Even if it is, why should that preclude Vol'jin or Thrall from becoming Warchief? The Warchief doesn't have to have a personal history with the Legion to fight them. Especially if blizz comments about the Alliance taking center stage in upcoming conflicts with the horde weakened proves true.

My issue with Rexxar isn't that he would be 'unexpected' it's that he's nowhere to be seen. Blizz also might just be covering their tracks and trying to keep things mysterious. Unexpected 'could' mean Rexxar. It could also mean Zaela, or Nazgrel, or Saurfang, or Eitrigg, Rexxar is hardly the only 'unexpected' character it could be so even if blizz is determined to throw us a curveball, that doesn't point to Rexxar over other characters.

Even in one of the novels, Cycle of Hatred I think it was, Rexxar showed disdain for Orgrimmar, thinking it 'just another city in a world that already had too many.' Sure, he could develop past that, but they need a story for that. They can't just fling this character into the warchief seat with zero development and screen time since bc. It's one thing to go unexpected, it is another thing to go for a character that people that didn't play the wc 3 expansion's bonus campaign or do a handful of quests in vanilla and bc won't even recognize. They could have averted this by having Rexxar show up earlier in the expansion, but they didn't. I just don't think they can justify it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 11:11 AM ----------

Florena, Blue Blizzard has said that the next Warchief will be someone unexpected it's a surprise. Their words, not mine. Their intent is to have us guessing who will step up and claim the title, or have the title by circumstance land on the next warchief that it becomes natural.

As for Mok'nathal and Rexxar's father, their dislike was the old demonic Horde, they didn't want to help it, but fighting it, well they couldn't do so considering it was a superpower on Draenor. But with this new Horde and it being split they might decide to lend their aid. There could also be another angle, the next expansion, Outland could see the signs of the Burning Legion returning in power again, before citizens of Azeroth do and decide there is no other way but to go to war. If there is going to be a Burning Legion expansion that is. But I can't see the link between Burning Legion and someone like Gamon, Vol'jin...

It has been on the frontpage of mmo-champion several times.

Other possible leaders,
    Vol'jin? Kills too many orcs and divisive, although not in a bad way

Lor'themar? Well prettyboy gets hurt, we heard from soundfile and he leans too much towards Alliance for my taste...

Baine? He is just around...but I would be ok with him, he's not a bad guy although I'm suspicious of his no action vs Garrosh after Cairne's death.

Gamon? Joke character...plz god no...it would be like making Hogger leader of the Alliance.

Sylvannas? Cool but she's evil and wouldn't be accepted, especially not after 1st demonic horde n todays Garrosh twisted Horde, going darker is not attractive...

Goblin leader? Fat Goblin enslaved his own people...

Thrall? Leave his shaman responsibilities? Add his bad choices, choosing Garrosh, and Goblin leader considering Thrall used to be a slave himself...it's like giving Blackmoore a Horde position...that is Lorelol though, Thrall would never have chosen such a scumbag.

Chen? Seems pretty neutral, and drunk.
    Vol'jin: Leader of the Rebellion. Would only be natural for people to flock around him and for him to take the seat of Warchief after HIS rebellion helps stop Garrosh. The orcs he's killing are the same orcs the horde is overthrowing, saying 'he kills too many orcs' would apply to anyone fighting against the Kor'kron and eliminate all possible candidates that actually help liberate the horde.

Thrall: He's made some mistakes, but I could see him, if he survives his fight with Garrosh, taking up the mantle again, setting aside the life he wants as a shaman to do what is needed for his people.

Lor'themar: Those files of him getting hurt are most likely when the encounter is failed as a horde player.

Baine: Could work but I don't think he's gotten enough development this expansion, as you say he's just around.

Gamon: I don't think anybody has actually seriously suggested he be warchief.

Sylvannas: Wouldn't work I agree. Nor would Gallywix.

Chen's not even technically a member of the horde or a leader, he's just buddies with some of them.

But you know what Thrall, Lor'themar, Vol'jin and even Baine have going for them? They're showing up. In this expansion. Taking part of the story to free the Horde from Garrosh. They're getting development to varying degrees. And you can't take a character like Rexxar who hates civilization, who has not been doing anything for over two expansions, and then thrust him into the warchief role without character development. And from what we DO know so far he's likely either not going to be there, or if he is he'll play a small role like Moira and Gelbin in the raid, which just isn't enough to get him into that position.

Deleted
    They will solve this "warchief" problem the same they did with dwarves. There will be some kind of council made from remaining horde leaders.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they choose a character for the next warchief who's literally done nothing for the story since cata, it would be a massive piss on the hordes story. You need a means of setting up a character for such a huge role in this. Thrall had a setup, a novel, which showed his story from when he was a child to adult, and the ties it made to his parents as a result.
    Garrosh had a setup, because of Grom and even Garrosh appearing in a previous novel before he showed up in tbc.

You can't have a character become such an important leader without buildup.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    How much lore did Cairne have in wow up until he challenged Garrosh for the title? He sat in Thunderbluff since day one there.

Rexxar might not come to Azeroth with an army, he might come simply as a messenger of bad tidings, since Outland is so demonish, they could see signs of the return of Burning Legion and Rexxar's message could lead lore towards next expansion. So yeah, he could just 'show up' kinda like Cairne just woke up out of nowhere.

Rexxar to Thrall in WC3,
    "But know this, brother. I will always be part of the Horde. I will always be there when you need me."

It's Midsummer's Ewe, be back to discuss this further next week..
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2013-06-21 at 04:34 PM.

Deleted
    Im pretty sure that we will either get a council, voljin or sarufang as the new leader of the horde..

Rexxar poping out of nowhere to become the next warchief would be totaly random..

REXXAR

The Reluctant Ruler trope - A Reluctant Ruler is someone who is entrusted with permanent power over others despite desperately trying to avoid it at all costs. It is believed that between a brilliant person who strives for glory and a brilliant person who shuns it, the latter is least likely to abuse the power they are given, automatically making them a passable, if not great, ruler.

"It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited for power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."

Albus Dumbledore

Taken from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ReluctantRuler
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-06-21 at 04:36 PM.

How much lore did Cairne have in wow up until he challenged Garrosh for the title? He sat in Thunderbluff since day one there.

Rexxar might not come to Azeroth with an army, he might come simply as a messenger of bad tidings, since Outland is so demonish, they could see signs of the return of Burning Legion and Rexxar's message could lead lore towards next expansion. So yeah, he could just 'show up' kinda like Cairne just woke up out of nowhere.

Rexxar to Thrall in WC3,
    "But know this, brother. I will always be part of the Horde. I will always be there when you need me."
    Are you really using a character, Cairne, who not only did NOT become warchief but was killed in his attempt to take the position from Garrosh, as an example of why it would be ok to have Rexxar come back with bad tidings from Outland and somehow get the position? The best rexxar could reasonably hope for at this juncture is some sort of general type role like Garrosh had in Wrath. But Warchief? You just can't do that to a character that hasn't shown up in years.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 11:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    REXXAR

The Reluctant Ruler trope - A Reluctant Ruler is someone who is entrusted with permanent power over others despite desperately trying to avoid it at all costs. It is believed that between a brilliant person who strives for glory and a brilliant person who shuns it, the latter is least likely to abuse the power they are given, automatically making them a passable, if not great, ruler.

"It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited for power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."

Albus Dumbledore
    But to get the character into that role convincingly you need to give him character development that leads to it. Not thrust him jarringly into the role after 4 or so years of absence from the story. That is the main reason him being warchief would be stupid, not because he'd be a reluctant warchief.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    But to get the character into that role convincingly you need to give him character development that leads to it. Not thrust him jarringly into the role after 4 or so years of absence from the story. That is the main reason him being warchief would be stupid, not because he'd be a reluctant warchief.
    Who says they won't build him up?

I can easily see:

Immediately after the death of Garrosh. Horde Council forms.

5.5 pre-expansion event. Legion invades.

6.0 Rexxar elected warchief due to his expertise on demons and his ability to bring Ogres to the horde.

There's really no right or wrong in someone thinking Rexxar, it's all just speculation.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-06-21 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Who says they won't build him up?
    He's been absent the ENTIRE expansion and while we don't have the big picture on Siege of Org yet, there is NO indication that he's even PRESENT for the siege, let alone going to play an important role in it. You just can't bring a character who has been absent through all of wrath, all of cata, and damn near all of MoP and thrust him into the warchief position without at least bringing him in a few patches before to introduce him to new players, or those who don't remember/never knew him, first.