Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wow is perfectly fine, better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    The problem with updating old content is that people say "ohhhhh thats nice" and then never use it. Other people say "Meh, wasting their time and money rehashing old content". People are never pleased. Like I say elsewhere "keeping wow up to date" would make it incompatible with a LOT of people's computers. "Programming out" some players in order to "save" others from leaving is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. A large percentage of these others that may be "saved" by keeping wow up to date would still leave because they have "done" with the game. Many people are totally different people from when they started playing wow at age 12, 6 years ago or more. However updated and current they kept wow, a large number of people will still leave it. Blizzard EXPECTS this. THAT is why they are actually working on Titan in the first place - they KNOW that eventually the wow ride will be over and need to plan for it. They also know that time is still a number of years off and they are quite safe putting Titan off for a while. Whatever Titan may have been and whatever it will eventually be, Blizzard definably are planning for what to do when WoW's numbers fall to a level that they can't devote so many resources to it. That date is still several years off however.
    You got it totally wrong.

Updating old content is not done only for the current players... but for new players. Thats why WOW is now loosing subs with such catastrophic numbers now. Why on earth should new players that come to the game today be playing outdated 6 year TBC expansion content that is not updated ? Or 4 year old WOTLK content that they have to pay extra for even tho BLizzard has not spent 1 dime updating it since they started work on Cata?

ANY game developer should be able to tell you that if you want new players to come to the game... you need to keep it up to date with the same standards as other games on the market. Blizzard is NOT doing that with big part of their content. Instead they add "new content" and increase the amount of content that will then never be updated - leading to the demise of the game.

WOW would still work perfectly with the same basic systems it had in TBC. As long as BLizzard provides the content and keeps it up to date with the latest quality games... they will always get their share of new players. Thats just not NOT what Blizzard have been doing. They moved those devs that SHOULD have been keeping content updated over to another game. The moved funds that SHOULD have gone into keeping outdated expansions into another game. THATS why WOW is no longer competing with the quality of the latest batch of MMOs that we are seeing.

Its not enough to have quantity ... its about quality. Right now the huge amount of lackluster quantity that we see in WOW is not getting new players to play the the game... but to stay away. SPECIALLY when ppl are paying extra for the expansion packs that BLizzard does not even keep up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Given how Crap Dota 2 is to play... not exactly hard.
    It is? I've been playing it a lot lately and I have no issues with it.

Basically the worst is some UI bugs/crashes while in windowed mode (And not even during games, while in the lobby).

Do you seriously think that people are gonna keep buying Blizzard titles like they do now, if Blizzard keeps milking the good name they've built until now? I don't think so... I know for sure, they won't be getting my € from now on...
    1.) Comparing Starcraft to the Warcraft RTS was your first problem. They have big differences and, despite being in the same genre, should only be compared to iterations of itself.

2.) "Single-player abomination?" What does that even mean? Sounds like a random insult with nothing behind it. Are you linking that to the fact your server was dead? At least I could somewhat understand that one, if not laugh a little bit at the silliness of pretending you had no other options but to pay for a server transfer. MoP has continued the trait of the expansion being better than the previous ones. I have yet to play one since Vanilla that had not improved on its predecessor.

I'm not sure what Blizzard is milking. Do you really think Blizzard is content with just putting out mediocre content hoping to fleece people into buying their product? I see this argument thrown around a lot, particularly here on MMO-Champion. And the argument makes no sense, why would Blizzard willingly tarnish their popular franchises by making them just a Call of Dutyesque (At least that's the impression you'd get if you talked to certain people on here) expansion?

Its not enough to have quantity ... its about quality. Right now the huge amount of lackluster quantity that we see in WOW is not getting new players to play the the game... but to stay away. SPECIALLY when ppl are paying extra for the expansion packs that BLizzard does not even keep up to date.
    I don't think you understand how expansions work.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-05-29 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    They will never "fold the technology" into WoW as that would make it unplayable on some older machines (and that would be Blizzard cutting off a fairly large number of subscribers). They may well use some ideas they had in Titan in WoW (but I bet they have already been doing that anyway). The only way they will ever do anything drastic when introducing new tech into WoW would be if they made a two engine version which played the same game - just with improved visuals on one of them.
    Oh dear God. What do you mean by "that would make it unplayable on some older machines"? Think about it. That is exactly one of the reasons why WoW started to loose some subs. So how do you see it going down the road? Will you want WoW to be still the best MMO in 2020 while running on the technology from 2003? Some hardcore fans will stay forever but the longer it goes, the more people will drop. So in 2020 WoW still need to cater for "older machines". This is ridiculous.

Sure WoW has some great mechanics and all that. I shall never deny it. But after trying some newer games and then trying Pandas I could not shrug of the feeling of how fugly this game is right now. It was great back in times, and I can agree it aged well. But God damn it, its been 10 years already!
    Last edited by Awe; 2013-05-29 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasblossom View Post
    I bet it's the tab targeting they are getting rid of. It would be a major overhaul.
    Could be, or could be that whatever combat system they were working on was used somewhere else and either turned out to not be that great, or they want something different. We could guess at a million things and probably most of them would be right in some way. You don't completely start over if what you are building is solid.

The list could include anything from game play, to systems they have tried in WoW ( CRZ) and D3 ( RMAH) that haven't exactly set the world on fire. Hell it could be that they have decided to try to build an MMO on a title that no one has ever heard of and have zero investment in is a bad idea. It could be they got beat to the punch or hell maybe even the engine everything is built on is bad ( cause if its gonna be next Gen they gotta get away from the WC3 engine). Maybe they have decided trying to build a super casual game isn't going to work long term, or that it was a Sub game and thats no longer going to work in the market either.

We could go on for days, but whatever it was it must of left a bad taste in someone's mouth for them to just reverse course suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienor View Post
    I bought MoP and kept playing WoW despite the fact that the game became a singleplayer abomination since i was playing on a dead server and Blizzard did NOTHING to fix it. Their solution to my problem was for me to pay more to migrate to a server that might die in the future too.
    Because actually creating a character on an active medium-high realm is impossible?

Deleted
    Titan won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Because actually creating a character on an active medium-high realm is impossible?
    Oh god! why didn't i think of that before? Leaving days of /played time behind and a good combination of alts and gold and heirlooms just to start from scratch on a new server that might die in the next year too. Yes i'm gonna run and renew my subscription right now and do what you suggested....

Sure WoW has some great mechanics and all that. I shall never deny it. But after trying some newer games and then trying Pandas I could not shrug of the feeling of how fugly this game is right now. It was great back in times, and I can agree it aged well. But God damn it, its been 10 years already!
    lol, "Pandas." The epithet people use to completely avoid talking about the actual expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    lol, "Pandas." The epithet people use to completely avoid talking about the actual expansion.
    Its a term that circles around. I call it Pandas, I call it MoP, whatever. Look, I spent around 10,000 hours playing WoW. I leveled two characters in MoP and I raided for 2 months until I decided to leave again. I have my opinion about this expansion but this is irrelevant to the grander issue which I touched in my post. The game will simply slowly choke on the fact that it is old and Blizzard is refusing to make radical steps to advance it. Lots of fans will stay forever but there are not enough of hardcore WoW fans to keep it as #1 forever. They will either have to make DRASTIC changes to WoW or bet their cards on a new franchise.

It is? I've been playing it a lot lately and I have no issues with it.

Basically the worst is some UI bugs/crashes while in windowed mode (And not even during games, while in the lobby).

1.) Comparing Starcraft to the Warcraft RTS was your first problem. They have big differences and, despite being in the same genre, should only be compared to iterations of itself.

2.) "Single-player abomination?" What does that even mean? Sounds like a random epithet with nothing behind it. Are you linking that to the fact your server was dead? At least I could somewhat understand that one, if not laugh a little bit at the silliness of pretending you only could switch servers. MoP has continued the trait of the expansion being better than the previous ones. I have yet to play one since Vanilla that had not improved on its predecessor.

I'm not sure what Blizzard is milking. Do you really think Blizzard is content with just putting out mediocre content hoping to fleece people into buying their product? I see this argument thrown around a lot, particularly here on MMO-Champion. And the argument makes no sense, why would Blizzard willingly tarnish their popular franchises by making them just a Call of Dutyesque (At least that's the impression you'd get if you talked to certain people on here) expansion?

I don't think you understand how expansions work.

1. Comparing 2 RTS games isn't irrational at all. If a 10 year old game feels better than a totally new game then there's something wrong. That's at least my opinion.

2. When i said single player abomination i meant both the dead server problem which actually is huge, as well as the fact that the game's structure as it is right now doesn't really promote its multiplayer aspect. With this i'm referring to the plethora of daily quests that's being implemented in MoP as well as the various tools like LFR, LFD etc. It's also a problem that Blizzard's developers themselves admit and said they're trying various things to help

As for what they're milking i think it's clear: They're taking advantage of the name they've built all these years to sell failures like Diablo 3. And if you liked a game like Diablo 3 then we don't have anything more to discuss since our criteria are TOTALLY different

Considering both WoW and D3 are casual trashes now, they probably were creating Titan in the same manner. Since WoW and D3 are crashing down they don't want Titan to be dead game from the start. Hopefully we will see some major changes to WoW and D3 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Wow is perfectly fine, better than ever.
    1.3 million lost customers would beg to differ.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Hard to get upset over something you know nothing about, but I was 100% sure that blizzcon would be revealing information about it this year.

I guess not anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Its a term that circles around. I call it Pandas, I call it MoP, whatever. Look, I spent around 10,000 hours playing WoW. I leveled two characters in MoP and I raided for 2 months until I decided to leave again. I have my opinion about this expansion but this is irrelevant to the grander issue which I touched in my post. The game will simply slowly choke on the fact that it is old and Blizzard is refusing to make radical steps to advance it. Lots of fans will stay forever but there are not enough of hardcore WoW fans to keep it as #1 forever. They will either have to make DRASTIC changes to WoW or bet their cards on a new franchise.
    I love how people like you and the two posters above talk about "hardcore" or "casual trash" regarding WoW. Again, more bullcrap buzzwords that have actual little meaning.

Congrats, you've played "around 10,000 hours" playing WoW. I don't know what the point of that statement is. Are you supposed to be an authority on the game? I've also played the game for a long amount of time (Since about a month after release), that doesn't make an opinion more meaningful than another.

"Making radical steps" is just another pointless request with no actual backing behind it. The fact that you and the others make no actual clarification about these requests should speak clear enough about the point of them. Make an actual suggestion based in reality and perhaps these "issues" will have any credibility whatsoever versus what appears to be just random incoherent crying trying to recapture nostalgia.

1. Comparing 2 RTS games isn't irrational at all. If a 10 year old game feels better than a totally new game then there's something wrong. That's at least my opinion.
    The two games are different. That is why Starcraft and Warcraft 3 existed together for as long as they did. Comparing them is just foolish. As for one key difference, Warcraft 3 relies heavily on the existence of hero characters. I could also point to the fact that unit composition between the two games, or resources/ect, but I'm fine with what I've already stated. They are in the same genre but operate quite differently. I'm not sure what other way I can actually make this statement, because I had thought it was obvious.

2. When i said single player abomination i meant both the dead server problem which actually is huge, as well as the fact that the game's structure as it is right now doesn't really promote its multiplayer aspect. With this i'm referring to the plethora of daily quests that's being implemented in MoP as well as the various tools like LFR, LFD etc. It's also a problem that Blizzard's developers themselves admit and said they're trying various things to help
    LFR, LFD. Both things players have wanted. You can pretend its terrible all you want, but there's a reason Blizzard added them into the game. Because people wanted them. I have no idea what you're qualifying regarding "Multiplayer content." There are still raids in the game, there are still arenas in the game, there are still battlegrounds in the game, there are dungeons in the game. Dailies don't take anything away from any 4 of those other aspects.

The only "problem" Blizzard has admitted to was the conflicting reports they are getting from players between not having enough to do in Cataclysm versus having too much to do in Mists of Pandaria.

As for what they're milking i think it's clear: They're taking advantage of the name they've built all these years to sell failures like Diablo 3. And if you liked a game like Diablo 3 then we don't have anything more to discuss since our criteria are TOTALLY different
    Diablo 3's launch was terrible, as was the initial game. Compared to what it is now, though, its actually a decent game. Although Diablo 3 will never be able to live up to the hype of Diablo 2. Blame Blizzard, blame unreasonably (Verging on impossibly) high expectations, do whatever you want. Diablo 3 could have been Diablo 2 with better graphics and people still wouldn't consider it as good.

They're going to need to basically make the D3 expansion perfect and fix the systemic problems that exist in Diablo 3 if the expansion hopes to sell any decent amount. And I don't think it really will, and I don't think a lot of people will buy it (Myself included).
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-05-29 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienor View Post
    Oh god! why didn't i think of that before? Leaving days of /played time behind and a good combination of alts and gold and heirlooms just to start from scratch on a new server that might die in the next year too. Yes i'm gonna run and renew my subscription right now and do what you suggested....
    If playing the game actually bothers you that much, you should have used scroll of resurrection I guess.

Didn't WoW lose quite a few original developers for this failed project?

10+ Year Old Account
    This "reset" and pushback anouncement kind of got a raised eyebrow from me, I hadn't really expected Project Titan to be released for another 3 or 4 years anyway. I'm a bit curious about it, but I'm not holding my breath.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Ignore him and move on.
    What you don't understand is what's 'good enough' for you isn't necessarily what's good enough for stock holders. As a two bit gamer you'd be ready to keep playing even if you were alone in WoW but that's not why WoW exist, WoW exist to make money and continuously losing subs doesn't sell stocks.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

I love how people like you and the two posters above talk about "hardcore" or "casual trash" regarding WoW. Again, more bullcrap buzzwords that have actual little meaning.

Congrats, you've played "around 10,000 hours" playing WoW. I don't know what the point of that statement is. Are you supposed to be an authority on the game? I've also played the game for a long amount of time (Since about a month after release), that doesn't make an opinion more meaningful than another.

"Making radical steps" is just another pointless request with no actual backing behind it. The fact that you and the others make no actual clarification about these epithets should speak clear enough about the point of them.
    What epithets are you refering to? Where did I say anything about the hardcore vs casual debate. I dont claim WoW looses subs becouse it is too hardcore or too casual. I do claim that the game looses subs becouse it is old. And I argue with people who defend this state and wants WoW to become "old" forever.

The fact that I played X hours merely states that I was in a fact big fan of the game and I have seen a lot down the road. Becouse some people tend the imply that people not supporting WoW right now are random trash haters who just come here to rage on WoW and cheers for it going dead. I dont want WoW to die or whatever. In fact I dont think it will for a long time. But I do would like for WoW to do something to mesmerize people as it once did and it shall not accomplish that if it will cling to technology which is more than 10 years old. That was my argument I touched replying to the post of the other guy. Meanwhile you are trying to derail it to the dispute about MoP merits.