if you could die from a 3 second lag spike then you werent correctly geared for hell, sorry bro, but its true - Ive finished inferno hc, and working my way through the paragon levels, the general view seems to be that you need to have enough survivability to last 10seconds if your internet cuts out, so that your char will be alive when you come back online at the login screen.

i just dont understand why people get annoyed about this, when you made a hardcore toon, its made clear that if you die, your char is gone, and anyone making them must be aware that lag might kill them, I mean how can you be a gamer and not think lag might kill you, even in call of duty, people playing search and destroy (one life) know that sometimes lag will fuck them over.
Hardcore mode isnt softcore, its not about trophy toons caked in sick gear, its about seeing how far in you can get without getting owned, you know what good hardcore players do when they die? they relevel stick on their second set that was in their stash and get back to it