Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A video of wow as it will always be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHBWUMm3G4

This expresses everything I feel about wow. What do you think?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    His complaining about things that people have been complaining about for years. Nothing really new.

Another clueless whiner complaining about flying mounts, LFD/LFR and remembering how "awesome" Vanilla was. He is bragging about how it took a year to level his first character and how cool it was to look for a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    meh, I think his points are valid. The mystery of a world to explore and the satisfaction of making social bonds just aren't there anymore.

Convenience is a double-edged sword, I agree. But personally I'll choose convenience over any illusion of immersion and community that inconvenience created. People were largely nice because they were forced to be if they wanted to get anywhere beyond quest gear(which sucked back then, BTW). I almost wish Blizzard would set up some throwback servers so people can play 'the old way' and quickly see firsthand how rosy their memory-glasses are and discover the joys of trying to play that way in a ghost town once it goes past the first month or so of being live.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    meh, I think his points are valid. The mystery of a world to explore and the satisfaction of making social bonds just aren't there anymore.
    There is no mystery of a world to explore for people who have explored the world ... okay. Not sure how a video game company is supposed to put out content faster than it can be consumed.

Social bonds ... the game heavily incentivizes being in a guild. We have people who haven't played in months/years who we still keep in touch with through our guild website and on facebook ... if folks aren't making an effort, bonds won't be made.

These complaints have more to do with the individuals issuing them than with the game. Once you've explored the world, the mystery is gone. I don't see how that could possibly be a valid complaint.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    He is bragging about how it took a year to level his first character
    I would brag how long it took to get my pvp rank 13 in vanilla or to bring down bwl, but right now i think it was probably among of the least usefull things i've done in my live. Good to see vanilla gone and never comming back.

Deleted
    Played it from the start, still playing it, have met so many people over the years. I'm addicted to this game

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't play in Vanilla from the start, or he would know there were NOT quest givers with ! over their heads.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

It's just a matter of personality, really. Some people just complain, misery is part of their DNA. Internet forums are full of these people. The virtual space is their key medium. In the words of the mighty Mr. T: I pity the fool.

The only mystery of vanilla...was that noob feeling...it's a one time experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheNationGamer View Post
    The only mystery of vanilla...was that noob feeling...it's a one time experience
    This.

I do miss Vanilla for these reasons (that and I loved our 40man raiding guild 25man was great as well and I had better raids from it but 40man has that little place reserved in my heart).

I do miss not knowing anything about the game world or mechanics. Well I knew about the game world from wc1 2 and 3 but it would in no way prepare you for exploring the world. You would walk through burning steppes and go /fanboy when you saw how awesome that place looked at as a level 20 running through the zone while avoiding the entire zones mobs that wanted to eat your brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    People will be sure to flame and disagree with this, but it's entirely right. A guild member who recently rejoined WoW in MoP (having left in Vanilla), quite aptly said that the game should now be called either "World of Queuecraft" or "World of Menucraft". The game now has convenience and accessibility, though at the cost of its soul. Whether that's a good trade-off is in the eye of the player.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNationGamer View Post
    I've long since lost count of the number of times I've wished I could be a noob all over again. These arguments are all present all over the forums already, people just agree to disagree and move on. I think the one weakness to this whole argument is that there isn't a proposed better world. I firmly believe that taking steps backwards is not the answer, I think Blizz strayed from their greatness with making LFD and LFR, but it isn't a choice that is ultimate. They are moving forward designing Flexible raids and virtual realms to bring players back together and away from the menus that threaten to turn an mmo into something different, and in the end that constant adaptation and adjustment is what's brought blizzard so far and leaves me optimistic that WoW will still be an amazing game in the future.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Like old people, most folks hated stuff when it was happening, but when things changes and are gone, suddenly they become "the golden age" and we complain that we loved it all along and want it back.

Then
    "OMG it takes SOOOOO long to level! This SUCKS!"

"Geez why can't I fly around? Having to ride is BORING!"

"I never get to do ANY dungeons! Why is there no tool to find groups for me while i'm out questing!?!?"

Now
    "Why do I level so quick (Ignoring that I know the game much better as I've played for years ande have add ons to streamline questing and where to go....)"

"Flying is so dumb! (But if I actually had to ride everywhere again, I would SO bleat like a sheep!)"

"LFR is killing the community! (I don't know what community mind you, as I was eitehr in trade trolling for groups or out in the world wishing I was able to get a group. But, um, I...)"
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    Like old people, most folks hated stuff when it was happening, but when things changes and are gone, suddenly they become "the golden age" and we complain that we loved it all along and want it back.

Then
    "OMG it takes SOOOOO long to level! This SUCKS!"

"Geez why can't I fly around? Having to ride is BORING!"

"I never get to do ANY dungeons! Why is there no tool to find groups for me while i'm out questing!?!?"

Now
    "Why do I level so quick (Ignoring that I know the game much better as I've played for years ande have add ons to streamline questing and where to go....)"

"Flying is so dumb! (But if I actually had to ride everywhere again, I would SO bleat like a sheep!)"

"LFR is killing the community! (I don't know what community mind you, as I was eitehr in trade trolling for groups or out in the world wishing I was able to get a group. But, um, I...)"
    Thanks, Batman.

Deleted
    I can see where he wants to go with this. It gets a bit tiring to keep hearing the point get hammered in by means of false dicothomy, though. Most of his critique against Dungeon Finder, for instance, is that you can end up with jackasses because they've apparently taken away the social aspect of dungeons along with running to the instance (because if you do, you miss out on bonuses). If he hadn't worked so hard in trying to put everything good on one side of the dungeon finder and everything bad on the other, and instead argued about actual real problems with the system such as the lack of consequence and punishment for being a consistent jackass if you do choose to only group with random players as opposed to pre-LFG, the critique would feel much more thoughtful. Again, it's not that he doesn't make any valid points, just that they get contaminated by the convenient lies and twists of truth he tossed in to give it more contrast. A few bad apples spoil the bunch.

Then it also lacks in consistency. He doesn't really ever explain why menues are automatically bad, because he keeps defeating his own arguments. He hints on immersion, but then mentions tabards as a good thing when they didn't make sense either and were just as much of an accepted break from immersion as the 5.2 championing. He mentions that heroic raids from a menu are a binary settings that don't involve any gameplay mechanics, but that's just after raining praise upon Mimiron whose hardmode was exactly that. He reasons that reputation could be handled through questing instead of menues, but then he ruins that as well by making an offhand punchline against daily quests without ever explaining what makes them bad either.

All in all: While I understand what he's trying to say and where he's going with it, the actual critique does't feel very planned or structured and the video suffers because of it. It definitely wasn't the worst or whiniest critique I've seen against newer features, but I don't think it gets many things right either. It's a nice idea, but not very good in execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Another clueless whiner complaining about flying mounts, LFD/LFR and remembering how "awesome" Vanilla was. He is bragging about how it took a year to level his first character and how cool it was to look for a group.
    Well said. Every time I hear someone complaining about how Vanilla was much better I automatically assume they either didn't play back then or have a very selective, rose-colored glasses memory. The "mystery of exploration" didn't disappear because Blizzard implemented flying mounts or LFG tools, it disappeared because people have been playing the game for almost 10 years now. We live in a day where every ounce of "mystery" the game could have had gets datamined and exposed in MMO-Champion's front page months before getting implemented in the game.

omg one of those again?.... How long a dead horse can be beaten?... looks like for quite a long time.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    Well said. Every time I hear someone complaining about how Vanilla was much better I automatically assume they either didn't play back then or have a very selective, rose-colored glasses memory. The "mystery of exploration" didn't disappear because Blizzard implemented flying mounts or LFG tools, it disappeared because people have been playing the game for almost 10 years now. We live in a day where every ounce of "mystery" the game could have had gets datamined and exposed in MMO-Champion's front page months before getting implemented in the game.
    I still like to explore things even when I spoiler the fuck out of it by looking at the datamined stuff on mmoc! :P I do know full well that if I could mind wipe my wow memories I would so I could experience it all over again