Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.
    I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.
    From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!"

This is the Oath. This is what has been part of the Horde since it's clans days. The Orcs back on Draenor followed a similar Oath as Durotan could not tell Doomhammer, his best friend, about the Corrupted Blood of Mannoroth because Doomhammer would be obligated to tell his own Chieftain.

Now: Did Garrosh break the Oath first? Nope.

Vol'jin threatened Garrosh right from the get-go. An unwarranted threat on his life, and despite this, Garrosh let Vol'jin live when in all reality he could've executed him. Who gets away with threatening the leader of some super-power and then is left in power? Garrosh showed lenience here.

Through Cataclysm, the Darkspear did nothing for the Horde, because of Vol'jin and Hellscreams exchange of words. So to Garrosh, the Darkspear are pretty useless. They've played little role in Cataclysm, except to interfere with some obscure Troll plot, and have offered nothing but hostility to Garrosh.

Theramore comes along and Garrosh summons the entire Horde to march with him. Vol'jin is forced to go but still continues to go against Garrosh. He organizes several 'secret' meetings with others leaders, questioning Garrosh's tactics. Now, is this as bad as betrayal? No. But the proper thing to do would have been to bring it to his Council, as Eitrigg and Cairne did. But instead he met in secret and offered nothing to support his crumbling relations with the Warchief.

And finally, after showing up -uninvited- to Pandaria, Vol'jin disobeys Garrosh's orders in the Saurok cave, refusing to gather intelligence on the Mogu-Flesh shaping magic that Garrosh wanted to learn more about.

Vol'jin had everything he got coming to him. Openly threatening the Warchief, not supporting his Campaign, speaking out in his attempt to rid their front doorstep of enemies and now disobeying his one order that was meant to 'test' Vol'Jins loyalty to the Horde. I'm sorry, but as much as I'm fond of Vol'jin (since we've been with him since the RTS days), he broke the Oath first.

The oath is dedicated to the Warchief and the Warchief alone. When Orgrim Doomhammer killed Blackhand, the Horde shifted their loyalty to Doomhammer because he was the New Warchief.

When Thrall became Warchief, he enforced the Blood Oath (not as violently), but the Oath was there. What happened when the Forsaken turned on the Horde? Thrall struck back. He marched into Undercity and placed his Kor'Kron there because he did NOT trust the Forsaken.

Suddenly Hellscream tries to enforce the Blood Oath and he's seen as a Bad-Guy? Because Vol'jin is a 'Hero' and best-buddies with Thrall, his actions against Garrosh can just be ignored because 'he's not a meanie like Garrosh'? I don't think so. In regards to the Blood Oath, Vol'jin broke it SEVERAL times and the fact that he was assassinated (or attempted on) so late in the game is a surprise. I expected Vol'jin to go long before Pandaria.

To everyone saying the Blood Oath is 'just words' and that Vol'Jin's threat is 'just words', they're not. The Oath is an important part of *Orc* Culture and was adopted into the Horde. Which means, Orc or not, every Horde member must swear it, which means they are swearing themselves to the Warchief.

That is why Garrosh sees himself as the Warchief of the 'True Horde'. His loyalists and supporters are keeping true to Orcish custom.

Does that mean they're all insane? No. Look at Nazgrim. Nazgrim's loyalty to Garrosh is tied strictly to the Oath and to his duty. He has no love for Hellscream on a personal level. It's the chain of command. Garrosh is his Warchief and by law and blood, he is sworn to obey and carry out his will. Breaking the Oath would be difficult for an Orc. It's breaking the one rule that you have followed your whole life, the one rule you've bound yourself to.

Garrosh's assassination attempts on Vol'jin are completely justified (even though I'm glad he actually survived).

And don't get me started on that Hypocritical piece of Green Garbage known as Thrall. He's more of a traitor than Vol'Jin is.

I still like garrosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a problem with the Warchief? Issue a mak'gora challenge. If you lose, the matter is settled and you are back to serving the will of the Warchief. In the Horde, might makes right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Have a problem with the Warchief? Issue a mak'gora challenge. If you lose, the matter is settled and you are back to serving the will of the Warchief. In the Horde, might makes right.
    People did speculate it, but nope, Garrosh won't have a mak'gora, he just wants power and control, and all to obay him.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Well technically, we the players never made that oath, the Taunka did.
    Within this scroll you will find the blood oath of the Horde. Tradition dictates that our new taunka brothers and sisters utter the sacred words herein.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Blood_Oath_of_the_Horde

Considering the word "Tradition" any Member who joins the Horde has to make this oath, i don't think it just applies for the taunka but for any race.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    People did speculate it, but nope, Garrosh won't have a mak'gora, he just wants power and control, and all to obay him.
    The Mak'Gora can only be issued by High-Ranking Horde. A peon can't walk up and just challenge the Warchief.

It's why Cairne Bloodhoof is the only Horde Leader who's retained ANY Honor, despite his death. He disagreed with Garrosh and handled it the correct way: He challenged Garrosh.

His death, on the other hand, was out of any of their control and rests upon Magatha's dishonorable shoulders. Had she'd not interfered, Hellscream might not have been the Warchief during the Cataclysm.

Well technically, we the players never made that oath, the Taunka did.
    Exactly. And it was to Thrall, not Garrosh. Not to mention Angmar was the one who told them the oath, and he's not exactly best candidate for honesty.

Oaths are also two way streets. If your leader not only fails you, but turns against you, the oath is voided. No-one could possibly expect loyalty after everything that happened.

Oh, and Garrosh made the threats towards Vol'jin first. All Vol'jin did was attempt to advise Garrosh, and he reacted by demanding he shut up and spat insults at his entire race. And this was when Garrosh was merely the temporary Warchief in Thrall's abscence.

Funny how people forget facts.

---------- Post added 2013-06-25 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I mean really, now Garrosh is an oathbreaker? I mean the player is obviousy, because he swore an oath and goes against it, even if it is a good action. What oath did Garrosh swear to break it?
    Either he swore loyalty to Thrall, which he broke when he declared himself Warchief proper and not just temporary, or he never swore any oaths at all and thus was never an official member of the Horde. Regardless, any 'oath' made to him is voided even if such an oath ever existed (which is doubtful since most members of the Horde predate him).

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    All Vol'jin did was attempt to advise Garrosh
    Since when has Vol'jin ever tried to advise Hellscream? Hell, since when have they ever even had an interaction that wasent hostile and antagonizing toward each other?

Even Cairne and Garrosh had normal conversations. Eitrigg even confronted him over the boached duel with Cairne while Vol'jin ran off to tattle-tale
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
    "Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.
    I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.
    From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!"

And don't get me started on that Hypocritical piece of Green Garbage known as Thrall. He's more of a traitor than Vol'Jin is.
    Cut that short for it's length.
    To directly quote Vol'jin "Ya be no Warchief of mine." Him saying this most likely means he never took the oath to Garrosh. While he is still bound to the Horde, he does not recognize Garrosh as the Warchief, and as such owe's him no allegiance. Yes that is kind of a shallow argument, but Vol'jin made it very clear he does not recognize him as the leader of the Horde (despite this, he knows leaving the Horde would be bad for his people, and stays in and semi listens to Garrosh in order to ensure their safety).
    You say Garrosh was threatened unwarrented by Vol'jin first? No, Garrosh said "You are lucky I don't gut you right here, whelp." before Vol'jin said his little quib about the arrow in his heart. After Garrosh insults him, and his people by calling them filth he simply says he will watch and wait as Garrosh spells his own doom. He will however, be there at the end to make sure his "black heart" is pierced by his arrow for a sure kill on him. (I didn't even think of the wording here and how it hints twords the old god heart Garrosh plays with).

Vol'jin never said a direct threat against the Warchief's life, he simply stated he will keep the Horde clear of the path it should stay off of. The attempt on his life was the first "move" either side took. Yes Vol'jin showed up in Pandaria, Garrosh was leading the Horde in a military campaign against the Alliance there. Why would he not come? (Even though this wasn't really why he came). Garrosh does not rule Pandaria, and we have no proof that he forbid Vol'jin to come to it, so he did not need an invitation to show up there. Even with the exact wording of what happened he simply states that the power to shape flesh is playing god, and that that is not what the Horde is about. Right after that Rak'gor yells "He knew you were a traitor!" and stabs him. Where did Vol'jin deny gathering the intel? He simply says this is bad, don't do it, he did not outright say I refuse to do this, just that it is not what the Horde is about. Rak'gor was looking for a reason to kill Vol'jin, and that was as close to denial as he wanted, he had the authority by Garrosh to strike once he saw "proof" of his betrayal, yet in the end Vol'jin was just defending the Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mak'Gora can only be issued by High-Ranking Horde. A peon can't walk up and just challenge the Warchief.
    If this is the case, a peon can mak'gora himself up to clan chieftain in order to challenge the Warchief. Any warrior can challenge his chieftain for supremacy (Tides of Darkness). Then after becoming clan chieftain, he can challenge the Warchief (clan chieftain being 1 step below Warchief).

[B]

When Thrall became Warchief, he enforced the Blood Oath (not as violently), but the Oath was there. What happened when the Forsaken turned on the Horde? Thrall struck back. He marched into Undercity and placed his Kor'Kron there because he did NOT trust the Forsaken.
    That it is incorrect. It wasn't because he didn't trust them. Thrall wanted to secure the city.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    The oath is to the office, not the actual person. That's why it says, "I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command." Nothing in there says it was to Thrall or Doomhammer or Blackhand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Complete bullshit, Vol'jin broke the oath first by continuing to threaten the Warchief, if Garrosh had not acted Vol'jin would have gone through with it. Garrosh was simply smart for making the move first.
    Saurfang also made a threat, as he broke the oath also?

Garrosh was the one that made the first move, by moving the trolls out of the inner sanctum of the Horde.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That it is incorrect. It wasn't because he didn't trust them. Thrall wanted to secure the city.
    Must be why he used his Kor'korn to do such things instead of the abominations.............
    And why the officers say they are there to ensure another repeat of the Wrath Gate dsnt happen
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Oh boo hoo, he destroyed a city? How many cities were destroyed in Warcraft 1 and 2? Please enlighten me.
    In Warcraft 1? Stormwind.

In Warcraft 2? Alterac City, by the forces of the Alliance.

---------- Post added 2013-06-25 at 11:03 PM ----------

Speculation, we know nothing about the rules of mak'gora.

10+ Year Old Account
    In rp talks, none of my characters ever took the oath when garrosh became warchief, it was all under Thrall.

So, there isn't any reason to worry about dishonor when my shaman throws a moltan lava ball in his face.. which is weird because Garrosh is able to stop Thrall using his elemental powers, but I will still get to use my... meh... blizzard logic..
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Let me post this again:

""Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!""

Why is the "Horde" part being ignored? The oath is very clear that it's live or die for the Horde, the Darkspear are Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Since when has Vol'jin ever tried to advise Hellscream? Hell, since when have they ever even had an interaction that wasent hostile and antagonizing toward each other?
    Nope, Garrosh started that conversation with "Don't talk back to me troll!", which obviously means that Vol'jin tried to discuss with Garrosh, Garrosh acted like the big awesome Warchief, Vol'jin "talked back" and he simply said "fuck off". The reason for which Vol'jin has not been able to have a decent conversation like Cairne is all due to Garrosh being an asshole that love to mock people based on quick judgements, like he did during the Elemental Unrest meeting. He was biased towards the trolls and Vol'jin, and treated him (and them) like shit for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Nope, Garrosh started that conversation with "Don't talk back to me troll!", which obviously means that Vol'jin tried to discuss with Garrosh, Garrosh acted like the big awesome Warchief, Vol'jin "talked back" and he simply said "fuck off". The reason for which Vol'jin has not been able to have a decent conversation like Cairne is all due to Garrosh being an asshole that love to mock people based on quick judgements, like he did during the Elemental Unrest meeting. He was biased towards the trolls and Vol'jin, and treated him (and them) like shit for that.
    Precisely. Heck, one of the first decisions of Garrosh's rule was to move out the trolls to the slums.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Let me post this again:

""Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!""

Why is the "Horde" part being ignored? The oath is very clear that it's live or die for the Horde, the Darkspear are Horde.
    Because that's how people are. Just like how we can argue on who really started the war with horde and alliance. I still think it was really varian at the end of battle for UC when he charged at thrall.