Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Do we really need to turn this into another partisan thread or can we all just be happy that DOMA was struck down? Talk about sore winners.
    "Sore winners" would be me pointing out it was 5-4, and should have been 9-0, and again pointing to Scalia's bullshit opinion.

Good to hear.

Although I'm still not comfortable with the will of the people being overturned by the court system, this is a good day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Where is this money from? Just groups against it? It can't be tax dollars... Can it?
    When the Obama DoJ announced that it would no longer defend DOMA, the House of Representatives instructed the House General Counsel to defend the law. This is probably where the $3m is coming from. So yes, taxpayer dollars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really need to turn this into another partisan thread or can we all just be happy that DOMA was struck down? Talk about sore winners.
    Who are the losers here?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Good to hear.

Although I'm still not comfortable with the will of the people being overturned by the court system, this is a good day.
    The majority actually supports gay marriage.

They aren't sore winners, they want justices that don't vote their way eliminated.

Then they try and claim they are reasonable and logical ones.

You can see how some of them say things and then totally conflict them with their insults and attacks in their very next spasm of response.

Calling supreme court justices bigots is pretty low.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Who are the losers here?
    Bigots who find gays weird.

ITS ICKY!

They aren't sore winners, they want justices that don't vote their way eliminated.

You can see how some of them say things and then totally conflict them with their insults and attacks in their very next spasm of response.

Oh Christ. This is the stuff I'm talking about with you. Its like you don't see the fact that you're doing the exact same thing you constantly cry about other people doing. Do you really not see that? Or do you just ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
    If it makes you happier, a majority of Americans support gay marriage. So this is the court system overturning the will of a loud bigoted minority.
    The will of the people of the State of California is the "loud bigoted minority?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    When the Obama DoJ announced that it would no longer defend DOMA, the House of Representatives instructed the House General Counsel to defend the law. This is probably where the $3m is coming from. So yes, taxpayer dollars.
    Oh, that would not be cool.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post

Scalia said they don't have any constitutional authority to overturn DOMA.

Defend it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Bigots who find gays weird.

ITS ICKY!
    It's because they're perverts. People need to take their minds out of the gutter and stop thinking about anal sex and then it's pretty fucking obvious that denying equal rights is unconstitutional.

A supreme court justice doesn't really have the right to put in personal beliefs from their upbringing imo.

Their sole job is to interpret the spirit and letter of the law as relates to the longevity of our country.

Just because you don't like gay marriage is not enough of a reason to vote against it. These justices make a mockery of the supreme court.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, that would not be cool.
    What do you mean would? I'm not making this up. I think you mean "Oh, that is not cool."

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Scalia said they don't have any constitutional authority to overturn DOMA.

Defend it.

I'd be wondering why Bill Clinton signed DOMA into law if it was so evil and terrible.

Maybe we should pillory him.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Palpatine voice,

Good, Good. Let the butthurt flow through you.

10+ Year Old Account
    We Americans do not want them eliminated, but to be representatives of us all, including 'them'.

Saying people want judges eliminated is so much lower. Is this a limbo contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    In Palpatine voice,

Good, Good. Let the butthurt flow through you.
    Hah Butthurt I see what you did there Epic
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I'd be wondering why Bill Clinton signed DOMA into law if it was so evil and terrible.

Maybe we should pillory him.
    Clinton opposed same-sex marriage. And he was wrong. But public opinion was in the anti-gay camp more than pro-gay.

It also comes down to your blatant ignoring of what I've been saying for pages now.

What's your next sourceless charge, insult, or random false analogy?

Next
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's because they're perverts. People need to take their minds out of the gutter and stop thinking about anal sex and then it's pretty fucking obvious that denying equal rights is unconstitutional.
    Part me thinks these people find it part of gay sex fascinating, but can't or won't understand why, and just inherently hate it. Very few people are 100% straight. But then, you're right.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-06-26 at 03:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    What do you mean would? I'm not making this up. I think you mean "Oh, that is not cool."
    You said 'probably', didn't seem definitive and I'm being too lazy to check. It wasn't meant to say I don't believe you. My bad...

DOMA writes inequality into the entire United States Code. The particular case at hand concerns the estate tax, but DOMA is more than a simple determination of what should or should not be allowed as an estate tax refund. Among the over 1,000 statutes and numerous federal regulations that DOMA controls are laws pertaining to Social Security, housing, taxes, criminal sanctions, copyright, and veterans’ benefits.

DOMA’s principal effect is to identify a subset of state sanctioned marriages and make them unequal. The principal purpose is to impose inequality, not for other reasons like governmental efficiency. Responsibilities, as well as rights, enhance the dignity and integrity of the person. And DOMA contrives to deprive some couples married under the laws of their State, but not other couples, of both rights and responsibilities. By creating two contradictory marriage regimes within the same State, DOMA forces same-sex couples to live as married for the purpose of state law but unmarried for the purpose of federal law, thus diminishing the stability and predictability of basic personal relations the State has found it proper to acknowledge and protect. By this dynamic DOMA undermines both the public and private significance of state sanctioned and all the world, that their otherwise valid marriages are unworthy of federal recognition. This places same-sex couples in an unstable position of being in a second-tier marriage. The differentiation demeans the couple, whose moral and sexual choices the Constitution protects, see Lawrence, 539 U. S. 558, and whose relationship the State has sought to dignify. And it humiliates tens of thousands of children now being raised by same-sex couples. The law in question makes it even more difficult for the children to understand the integrity and closeness of their own family and its concord with other families in their community and in their daily lives.

Under DOMA, same-sex married couples have their lives burdened, by reason of government decree, in visible and public ways. By its great reach, DOMA touches many aspects of married and family life, from the mundane to the profound.
    Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-307_g2bh.pdf

Damn. That's some smackdown right there. Terminology like "humiliates", "demeans", "second-tier" is pretty strong. Wonder what Fox News' reaction is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Oh Christ. This is the stuff I'm talking about with you. Its like you don't see the fact that you're doing the exact same thing you constantly cry about other people doing. Do you really not see that? Or do you just ignore it?
    I think people like him are what give the Republicans their bad image... nothing but fear-filled hate-filled hypocrisy who are more interested in making people afraid and fearing change instead of actually OFFERING alternative solutions to fix problems.