Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Make sure the app is stellar. Dont forget any aspect of it and make sure you come off as you have read up on all the figths to show you really want this. Make sure that you state in your app that they have to see you as investment for the next tier and beyond. Get good logs that shows what you can do with your limited resources. You will get into a good guild that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinky View Post
    Most points have been covered already but Ill just stress the importance of continuing that focus on gearing up. Do everything each day/week to get any upgrades possible. I have so many people whisper me each week looking to raid but they are leveling some crappy alt instead of focusing on gearing their main character. Top guilds will take the time to look at how many times you have run each lfr even if you just needed 1 item. Once you have a full set of items for your main set start to gear an offspec. Make sure you are up to date with the legendary quest, and valor capping every week. Ive recruited a couple of freshly dinged/sub 500 ilvl people recently and they all geared up to enough for heroic progress within a week or 2.

Gem, enchant and reforge all items to the maximum.

TLDR: 100% focus on maximising every resource available to your character.
    This is very sad to see... basically the only measurement of Wow raiders skills these days is your ilvl.

Its great that u have broken down exactly what the OP needs to do in order to get that ilvl up... but its not the point he was making. Hes asking why raiding guilds dont recruit players on their experience as top level raiders anymore.

Whats the point of apps when all u need to do is stand in front of the GM and let him inspect your ilvl?

Like many people have mentioned, a good application is often what makes it or breaks it. Make sure you have a good template for it, covering all game-related things (logs, UI, keybinds, experience, your computers specs etc.) and also get into a bit personal stuff (line of work/education, where you live etc.).

I applied to a guild that luckily had a very good template, covering all of this plus a little more. When I applied I had 495 iLvl (just started playing my mage again a bit into 5.2) and I applied to a guild with 2/13 HC at the time IIRC. I talked to the officers in the guild, explained my lack of gear and proved I was motivated (f.ex. offering to run an LFR or two to show of my performance). I had no logs, I had no experience with guildraiding, my gear was bad, and despite all these faults I still got a trial spot to prove myself. Of course I was benched for progression fights untill I had proven myself and gotten appropriate gear, but nevertheless I convinced them. Now we're 8/13 HC and I'm a part of the core team.

What I'm trying to say with this story is that it boils down to a couple of things: - the guild (good people, appropriate progression). by appropriate progression I mean, like in my case, they had bosses on farm meaning they could bring me along for those.

- the application, make sure you cover everything they need to know about you, performance wise, personal stuff, equipment and anything else you think is appropriate.

- You, show them your motivated, talk to the officers, be humble, and generally come off as a good person who people would like to spend x amount of hours raiding with.

~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    I can imagine top tier guilds using that excuse but mid tier ones? Doubtful

Good luck
    Guild I raided with in Mists often looked at LFR logs for applicants and we were top 200ish US, so we were fairly up there.

Shouldn't be a problem for most guilds, I'd imagine.

Abundance of Indians and a lack of Chiefs.
    Guessing it's because the World preps you for life of being a follower so their is few leaders in the modern world and many of them are unqualified thus real life mentality seeps into your mmo gameplay.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Sorry to hear about your plight

A couple of points worth mentioning here tho...

This ilvl barrier does appear to be something which has been created in MoP and the logic of it pretty simple. Players now think gear is the only measurement of skill. And thats got alot to do with the current raiding community r mainly 'new-blood' and not many of them are 'old school'. The gearscore phenomena started in Wrath and has become more and more of an obsession basically.

The application thing has always been the same but it sounds like the character of the guilds ur applying to is not so good. Im guessing that raiding guilds these days r inhabited by much younger players than back when u were playing Wow seriously. I say that because older players wouldnt be so spiteful and rude over apps...

I suggest that u ask around your realms community and find out which guild has a more mature attitude, or just find the longer established guilds. because theyre the ones ur less likely to find such bad attitude from the GMs and officers.

In relation to skill, there are plenty of discussions on this very forum on just how much skill is needed to play Wow these days. Personally, id take an experienced skillful player over a high gearscore any day of thw week, but sadly that isnt how the vast majority see the game these days...
    So you must have forgot the gearscore craze in wrath?

This is very sad to see... basically the only measurement of Wow raiders skills these days is your ilvl.
    It is nothing to do with the ilvl infact. Its about showing that you care about your character and that you are doing everything possible to improve it. I dont even care if he dinged 90 today, if I can see that he has fully gemmed, enchanted, and reforged his gear in the best way possible, I know that he is already on the right track. I only recruit min maxers, so if you think you can just turn up at raid time each day and get epics then log off, you will be in for a very fast kick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    So you must have forgot the gearscore craze in wrath?
    The gearscore craze was more about getting into pugs... VoA and ICC were the main ones. i dont remember gearscore ever been asked for on guild apps. I ran a 25man progression guild on 2 realms and we never asked for gearscore on an app and im very sure none of the other top guilds on either realm did either. This ilvl guild app thing is very much a MoP phenomena.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 03:51 PM ----------

It is nothing to do with the ilvl infact. Its about showing that you care about your character and that you are doing everything possible to improve it. I dont even care if he dinged 90 today, if I can see that he has fully gemmed, enchanted, and reforged his gear in the best way possible, I know that he is already on the right track. I only recruit min maxers, so if you think you can just turn up at raid time each day and get epics then log off, you will be in for a very fast kick.
    If what u said is true then why is the OP having trouble getting into a guild?

With your logic he would breeze into any guild he chose...

Take my sig at the bottom of my posts for example. I was top of the busiest Horde Realm EU for ach score, top 5 for hks and raided heroics in top guild on my realm up till Cata when i quit. This toon shows total dedication and commitment but that doesnt mean shit atm. If i came back now and applied to any raid guild i would be refused cos my ilvl sucks. All the time i was below 520 ilvl it would be pointless applying to a raiding guild.

EDIT: checking apps enchants, gemming etc has always been done by raid guilds. that is not the issue here whatsoever. U can be the shittiest geared character but u can still demonstrate correct gemming. That would be worth something back in Wrath, but by the look of this thread is means nothing in MoP. ilvl rules.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-06-28 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you got any past rankings it helps a lot, you can double check on wowprogress, it saves some up to BC actually.

Like others said, just get 510'ish on your own, that's probably feasible, and do well in logs. If you do extremely well and can explain in detail your logs, good guilds will probably care about that more than your gear, esp as this raid tier is ending. Just gotta be good at selling it.

Deleted
    In the past couple of months my raidgroup has geared up people from ilvl 480, 490 and one even literally from 0. The reason we invested in them was because they showed willingness in doing everything possible to get the max out of their char. Several we only recruited on the basis of praise of previous guilds and one on his past exploits in Cata.
    My RG only raids 2 nights a week, though we're up to 6/13 HM now so we're not total scrubs.

I honestly do not know what your problem is. Recruitment forms are typically just minor. My RG checks armories, any logs, previous guilds and asks the GL's or officers of other guilds of their knowledge of that person. If your past experience is true you should still have several people on your server that know you and can verify your skills.
    On the other hand, if you were cocky, not really good or unreliable it could be that the guilds you're applying to are getting negative stories about your past from other sources and you'll just be blocked from joining on that basis.
    Just this week I had to cancel a new applicant because one of my core raiders seriously disliked him from past experience. Even if he was the world's best player, he would not get in on that negative review alone. So if you have any burned bridges, don't bother to apply to guilds that have those people in as they will block you.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The gearscore craze was more about getting into pugs... VoA and ICC were the main ones. i dont remember gearscore ever been asked for on guild apps. I ran a 25man progression guild on 2 realms and we never asked for gearscore on an app and im very sure none of the other top guilds on either realm did either. This ilvl guild app thing is very much a MoP phenomena.

I'm going to say it's just your server. I have not seen a single guild asking for ilvl when recruiting.

That's strange tbh. I am a WOTLK baby with very little experience on raiding overall and was inactive at cata as well. I applied to this semi-hardcore guild with an ilvl of 480 or so on my just-dinged 90 monk. The guild crafted me 2 pieces of gear and now we are doing heroic progression and I began raiding in 5.2 as a healer (which I'd never played again before in a raid environment). I guess you applied to the wrong guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    It is LFR, what do you mean do the fights right? You can get general idea on someone but in no way can you get a solid view of a person's Dps in a faceroll instance like LFR.
    If someone is too snobby to even look through the logs and see the important information, then no, you can't get any idea. But if you're smart and know what to look for then you absolutely can get really good information from LFR logs.

As en example, moving out of bad is the same on every difficulty. If you see in the log that the person didn't stand in bad in LFR, you have no reason to think they'll stand in bad on Heroic. It hits softer in LFR but that's not what a smart person looks for - they'd look for the number of ticks of the bad damage you took.
    Last edited by Pizza the Hutt; 2013-06-28 at 03:45 PM.

I'm going to say it's just your server. I have not seen a single guild asking for ilvl when recruiting.
    Agreed with this, Ive always looked at ilvl but its at the very bottom of the list of importance. The only guilds I can imagine that might care more about ilvl would be the ones who are struggling at around 5/12 normal mode and have been farming that for months. They cant afford to gear someone up as they still need all the loot themselves. So Its hard for them to look at recruiting a 480 ilvl player.

And as ive said, we have recruited a few freshly dinged players recently based only on the strength of their applications and previous raid experience. Those players are now well into the 520's -30's and only lagging behind on the legendary quest.

Any good guild will consider how strong a player you are well before they start to care about ilvl.

If you are looking for a casual one night a week guild with no application process don't be upset when you only clear 1 or 3 bosses per expansion. If you actually want to clear the majority or all the bosses then you need to up your game and jump the hoops to get in a guild that will clear the content. If you are okay with a few boss clears then there really isn't a problem. Do what you can, play the way you want to play.

If your guild requires you to do dailies and you don't like doing dailies you can tell them no and see how they react or go look for a guild that does not require dailies. Just understand that higher requirements will mean more clearing of content.

You're either not the player you claim to be, or you're apping to shitty guilds / guilds who don't need your class.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinthalasKT View Post

All guilds expect 520+ ilvl, are they mad?
    You've got to find the right fit. I spent the last two months looking for a late night guild with good progression. Found one guild that was solid, but I didn't fit the comp. Found another group that was WAY too late. Decided to start my own group and focused on the player behind the character and not just gear or experience in the current tier. Found a cast of people who were dedicated, had either raided heavily in the past or expressed a great desire to match that level. Went into ToT this week with 3-4 very undergeared people (475-485 iLevel), who most of which hadn't even stepped foot in LFR this tier, and we were able to clear 8/12 normal in two nights of 3 hours. If you are willing to take the time to find a guild that matches your goals and focus, rather than looking for guilds already on heroics, you may find a better fit.

After all, 5.4 isn't that far away.

If you're looking into "hardcore" raiding guilds then you should know that Ilvl matters quite a bit.
    Why would they take a risk of recruiting someone who hasn't raided hardcore in a long time AND is undergeared for their progression fights?

Best thing to do is work on that gear and show your logs (to make sure your digestion is healty, jk) but obviously from a Normal attempt as LFR is just about as useful as showing your DPS on a trainer dummy.

I'd ask the recruiter if you could sub in on a boss as a trial, usually that's what my guild did. Bring trials for bosses that were easy to farm.

Deleted
    Agreed with this, Ive always looked at ilvl but its at the very bottom of the list of importance. The only guilds I can imagine that might care more about ilvl would be the ones who are struggling at around 5/12 normal mode and have been farming that for months.
    &

my server?

Its the OP whose complaining that every guild asks for ilvl. And according to others in the thread it appears to be very common these days.

It appears very much as if this is common in MoP raid guild recruitment.

Most servers are either dead or dying, and LFr honestly why waste time with scheduled raiding when you cna do LFR and get the same thing, gear. No matter what people play the game to advance their character, which is usually gear. Simple as that as long as LFR has gear people will do that over Normal raids.