Feral in Melee (Xuen) Challenge

So - I've tried doing the melee challenge at i522 about 15 times now and never have been able to get Wrathion below 50%. Obviously I'm bad - but when searching for tips online, I only see druids doing the tank/heal/ranged challenges but I haven't been able to find any solid guidance/advice on how to do this as a feral dps?

I have no problem avoiding the 180degree cleave damage, fire rain, interrupting the pool casts, nor the mirror images phase but it's the adds that gets me everytime. Everytime I try to get close to the adds to be in the swipe/thrash range, they just hit me first (and very hard) before I can reach their hitboxes - is this normal?

Have any of you completed this as a feral - at what gear level and what strategy did you use? Please also confirm whether if you have succesfully done the challenge as a feral. Any help will be very much appreciated!

My Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uishy/advanced
    Last edited by Squishy2; 2013-07-11 at 02:15 PM.

Yeah, I did the Xuen challenge as feral just a few days ago, first attempt and I was never close to failing either. I have about 20ilvls advantage over you though, but I don't think I interrupted anyhting. Only saw one or two ads spawning and mostly I just went to the other side of the room with Wrathion to stay away from them. Just go behind and make sure dots doesn't run out before you can get behind him next time.

Didn't really do anything special at all, but I may have lucked out with what abilities he decided to use etc, I dunno.

I've gotten 5 or 6 adds everytime they spawn. Is there something I should be doing to reduce the number of adds spawning?

Maybe there was a gang of ads, I didn't really pay that much attention and since I succeeded on my first try I didn't really think much of it. Not very helpful, sorry. =/ I may have interrupted something "by reflex" but other than that I believe I just dpsed him and lured him to other parts of the room than where ads happened to be.

put trash on them and kite, they will respawn anyway also use PS for healing touchs and put rejuvenation on urself
    Last edited by Zstr; 2013-07-11 at 02:30 PM.

Deleted
    Pretty much the above, I 1 shotted it at 529 ilvl. Kite adds away from boss, thrash and swipe...feral charge boss and get some dps in before adds reach you again. Rinse and repeat.

I see you are using Renewal, swap it out for NS and put healing touch on your bar, less cooldown and sometimes more healing.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2013-07-11 at 03:32 PM.

Pretty much just facerolled it thrashing adds and healing myself quite a bit.

We discussed this a bit over at FluidDruid. Here is the link http://fluiddruid.net/forum/viewtopi...3e15dc36d56f65

Fluiddruid had some nice tips - it seems my problem was trying to throw in several swipes in single pass on the adds when I should just run by them and throw a single thrash/swipe along the way and heal myself right after. Throwing in multiple swipes = more time for adds to attack me, I guess that was the problem. I'll see if I have better luck tonight.

I also had some problems with the adds (ilvl 519 at the moment of doing it), and I solved it by running around the room, always waiting for energy to regen and when I got enough, I let a few adds come closer and use swipe, eventually killing them while taking no damage. I saved tiger's fury for the mirror image ability, in case it hit while I was kiting the adds. One time I also SI + berserke'd the adds down, and then nuked Wrathion till the end.

e: Oh yeah I found Typhoon very useful in keeping the adds far for some extra healing, if needed
    Last edited by Avutu; 2013-07-11 at 08:13 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    you can also use the mass entanglement talent to keep them away for 20s of every 30s. dps boss during kite when they're not rooted.

Just go tank or heal and do the other challenges, the tank one is really easy. And you dont ahve to do the xuen one to get the agi cloak you can choose which cloak you want anyway

I finally beat Wrathion in the challenge and got my cloak. I could have gone for tank but then the legendary questline wouldn't have felt as legendary

For anybody who's struggling as a feral in the melee challenge - here's my tips.

1. On the adds, don't run along them when doing damage - they will just take you down. Run across the opposite end of the room away from them and heal yourself as much as you can then run directly and passing through the adds, thrashing/swiping but dont stop running past them (use speed boosts to minimize contact time with adds when you pass through them). Rinse and repeat until they are dead. They are your dps prioirity whenever they're up.
    2. Save your tiger's fury and berserk until the mirror phase - I had to go through the mirror phase twice... but if Wrathion's life is at 25% or lower and your berserk is up, go crazy.
    3. Heal, heal, heal as much and as often as you can. As many people have said, this is not a dps race... and what do you know, it is actually NOT a dps race even if you get to 80% heal, just pop Rejuvenation as often as you get the chance and keep yourself at 100% whenever possible.
    4. keep Savage Roar up as much as you can, Rake/Rip behind Wrathion to get 250% bonus damage on the ticks.
    5. For me interrupting the pools wasnt as critical... I use his cast time to run away and heal when I can.

I was actually running away from the adds when Wrathion was at 6% but my dots took him down to 0%. the 250% bonus damage is really good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea that Wrathion even did anything. Guess I was just way overgeared for it. /shrug