Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Repercussions of Old God Deaths

Ok, now I know that some argue that the Old Gods that we have faced and *killed* up to this point (Yogg-saron, C'thun, soon-to-be Y'shaarj) were never really killed; some argue we only killed their avatars or what little of their power seeped to the surface of Azeroth. If we consider, however, the other possibility that we have indeed been killing off Old Gods left and right (which it seems pretty undeniable that Y'shaarj will be killed, all thats left of him is his beating heart which is linked to Garrosh), then what repercussions will the denizens of Azeroth face? The Titans imprisoned the Old Gods beneath Azeroth rather than kill them outright (except for Y'shaarj, which raises more good questions) because the death of the Old Gods meant the death of the *cursed* inhabitants of the planet. If we eventually are forced to kill off all of the remaining Old Gods, will we essentially doom ourselves? Does their *curse of flesh* that binds us to life weaken with each consecutive death of an Old God?

A crazy theory that I've been harboring is that in a future expansion, the final Old God will wholly and totally break free from his prison (N'zoth perhaps?), the Titans will return to Azeroth in person, see the devastation that Algalon saw, and decide to purge Azeroth--starting with killing the final Old God. As the denizens of doomed Azeroth, we will have no choice but to ally with the final Old God and fight back the Titans. I find some plausibility in this because Blizzard has hinted very heavily in Mists (via the Mogu and their lore) that the Titans weren't exactly the perfectly upstanding, righteous deities that we believed them to be; they have a darker side.

So what do you guys think?

We are not killing any old gods, Killing an Old god creates stuff like the Sha. All we are doing is beating back their pinky sticking out of their cells. Only the Titans have killed an Old God and in doing so created a mess that could not be killed, only contained. So in effect the problem can not be solved by killing an Old God so thus they can't be killed. They can only remain imprisoned. The only way they can get loose is the destruction of the world and that includes the cataclysm or how the legion/scourge kills all life in their path leaving behind a scar on the land. Kill Azeroth and the Old Gods are released.

I have no doubt that should the Titans return they would see Azeroth in a condition that would be deemed unsuitable as it was designed to harbor 1 native race, Trolls. Now there are dozens. There are alien species designed for other planets living here now.

I've always wondered what would happen if Titans returned to Outland though...

Yes, but what is one Old God and a few mortals going to do to defeat the Pantheon? The only possible way to make it fair is to form an alliance with Sargeras and the Burning Legion...

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people have noticed similarities between Garrosh's empowered form and the mutated Cho'Gall, who obtained his altered form by communing with the corpse of C'Thun in Ahn'Qiraj. C'Thun 'death' at our hands may indeed have released his essence into the surrounding area, and Cho'Gall drew upon it to mutate, just as Garrosh will draw on the lingering essence of Y'Shaarj from his heart to transform.

So it seems that C'Thun at least has been rendered to the same state as Y'Shaarj - dead, but still sort of around. It begs the question as to what else has been released by C'Thun's death - does the rest of his essence now infest Silithus? With no Shaohao to convert it to physical monsters like the Sha, will it just linger there forever poisoning southern Kalimdor?

And what about Yogg-Saron? Will the keepers of Ulduar be able to keep what's left of him underwraps in the prison? Or does his essence poison Northrend now?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post

I've always wondered what would happen if Titans returned to Outland though...

Now that would be interesting. But I don't think there's any evidence to show the titans were there to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldnt have anyone to pledge loyalty to D:
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    Yes, but what is one Old God and a few mortals going to do to defeat the Pantheon? The only possible way to make it fair is to form an alliance with Sargeras and the Burning Legion...
    But we have been smacking down their creations and minions with relative ease (perhaps not easily lore-wise, but still, we defeated them). Maybe by time we reach lv 200 we will have the power to face the Pantheon along side an Old God :P

I just think allying with a supposed enemy against a supposed ally would be a refreshing twist instead of more of the same *new Old God, o noes, call the Titans to help*.

I have a crazy theory too, its called if Blizzard cannot come up with a legitimate (non-reused Old God) Villain next expansion I will drop my subscription permanently, finally admit that they have jumped the shark, buy an X-Box and spend my free time on a game with real graphics and an awesome story. Probably Darkstalkers 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    I doubt the Legion could defeat the Titans. The Legion only has 1 Titan-level person. While in the the Pantheon, Sargeras was put in command of their armies. There are ARMIES of Titans.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I doubt the Legion could defeat the Titans. The Legion only has 1 Titan-level person. While in the the Pantheon, Sargeras was put in command of their armies. There are ARMIES of Titans.
    The armies of the Titans are not Titans, they are stuff like watchers, guardians, Vrykul and Mogu.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2013-07-03 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scourge V Old gods

FIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    I have a crazy theory too, its called if Blizzard cannot come up with a legitimate (non-reused Old God) Villain next expansion I will drop my subscription permanently, finally admit that they have jumped the shark, buy an X-Box and spend my free time on a game with real graphics and an awesome story. Probably Darkstalkers 2.
    Can I have your stuff? )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    The armies of the Titans are not Titans, they are stuff like watchers, guardians and Mogu.
    Certainly didn't use any constructs when they fought the Old Gods. Those constructs are used to assist in planetary engineering and left behind as custodians. Doesn't sound like they are an army.

EDIT: Right, the Mogu stuff... yay retcons.

Originally, the Titans personally fought the elemental lords then created the Earthen and Sea Giants to shape the earth. But the new MoP stuff puts the Mogu as being part of the war against the Old Gods and shaping the earth.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-03 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly didn't use any constructs when they fought the Old Gods.
    Actually there's stories of stone giants fighting faceless ones. Plus the mogu vs the 'winged legions of Y'Shaarj'. I suspect they used their constructs against the elementals and the other rank and file of the Old Gods armies, while the Old Gods themselves were handled personally by the Titans.

Certainly didn't use any constructs when they fought the Old Gods. Those constructs are used to assist in planetary engineering and left behind as custodians. Doesn't sound like they are an army.
    The Mogu are Constructs, they fell to the curse of flesh and then fell to the 7 emotions resonated and fed upon by the 7 Sha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Actually there's stories of stone giants fighting faceless ones. Plus the mogu vs the 'winged legions of Y'Shaarj'. I suspect they used their constructs against the elementals and the other rank and file of the Old Gods armies, while the Old Gods themselves were handled personally by the Titans.
    Right, the Mogu stuff... yay retcons.

Originally, the Titans personally fought the elemental lords then created the Earthen and Sea Giants to shape the earth. But the new MoP stuff puts the Mogu as being part of the war against the Old Gods and shaping the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, the Mogu stuff... yay retcons.

Originally, the Titans personally fought the elemental lords, then created the Earthen to shape the earth. But the new MoP stuff puts the Mogu as being part of the war against the Old Gods and shaping the earth.
    It actually makes a lot of sense for the titans to use their own lesser servants to deal with the rank and file - it doesn't really go into great detail about the battles, but something like a low-level elemental or even a standard faceless one is really beneath the notice of the Pantheon.

Deleted
    I believe that the old gods do not actually die, as they are not exactly living in the first place. This is based on what Herald Volazj says in Ahn'kahet: They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle. So when an old god is defeated, it probably goes temporarily into a sleep like phase and their presence is weakened. It happens because we just kill a small part of the old god, as their entire bodies go deep into the ground and destroying them completely would mean removing the entire body from the planet. But this is just a theory so I could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    It actually makes a lot of sense for the titans to use their own lesser servants to deal with the rank and file - it doesn't really go into great detail about the battles, but something like a low-level elemental or even a standard faceless one is really beneath the notice of the Pantheon.
    In any case, my point still stands. The Legion only has 1 Titan-level person. The Titans have a ton. The Pantheon is just the ruling sect.

EDIT: The Pantheon elected Sargeras from among their warriors to lead their armies. There must be more than one Titan warrior, hence an army(ies) of Titans.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-03 at 08:10 PM.