Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Twinks were originally boy/teenage bodybuilders, hitting the gym before they were fully developed, gay culture has adopted this to be looks like a boy now. Wow twinks are level capped toon to a specific pvp bracket (why they added turning off xp) They would pick a bracket say lvl 10-20s, so they would stick at 20 and obtain their best in slots for a lvl 20 cha and farm the poor lil new pvp-ers as they lvl. (now if you turn off the xp on a cha you only get paired with other twinks) You don't see them around much anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the longest time when in LFR and people say "lust on pull", I always thought it was just another typical stupid sexual reference, even though it never made sense. It took my slow brain quite awhile to connect lust with heroism, and then still awhile after to finally understand why people say "lust".

Yeah, you can tell what faction I don't play.

Deleted
    Every arena comp.

If someone could tell me exactly what KFC is I'd be eternally grateful. It was really confusing to see 'LF KFC' in trade, I thought they were just being stupid xD

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post

I'm not really part of the PvP scene, so I still don't understand arena team comp names to this day. Never have, never will.
    Pretty much this for me, though I don't lose any sleep over it. Other than that after 6 years of playing I think I have most of the other lingo down, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Davesothoth View Post
    KFC/LSD, all the weird abbreviations that PvP heroes use.
    LSD is simply Lock/Shaman/Druid, KFC is just some stupid idea I have no clue about.
    Quote Originally Posted by orioxez View Post
    TSG for pally/dk/war 3s
    TSG is just because the team that made it popular back in season 7 (I think) was called that. Nothing special connected to it.

I still don't understand what "please pst" means. Does someone say it when they really want you to whisper them?

Kidding aside, there really isn't any lingo that I don't understand. Rather, I don't understand why people say "bio" (as in bio break). Like really, I don't need to know what's coming out of you; just say "brb".

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Really? you didn't know that WC meant toilet? you are on the internet ffs
    Considering the infrequency that that word is ever used on the Internet, I find it amusing that you're so shocked.
    Last edited by lopk; 2013-07-14 at 05:23 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    For those that don´t know.. a ´monkey run´ is doing regular mode stormstout brewery up until the first boss ( ie, killing a ton of monkeys) and then resetting the instance and doing it again and again. Very fast Exp apparently.
    Well I just learned something new today.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I still don't understand what "please pst" means. Does someone say it when they really want you to whisper them?

Kidding aside, there really isn't any lingo that I don't understand. Rather, I don't understand why people say "bio" (as in bio break). Like really, I don't need to know what's coming out of you; just say "brb".

Considering the infrequency that that word is ever used on the Internet, I find it amusing that you're so shocked.
    PST = Please Send Tell. This is mostly only used in the US. I never used "tell" in referring to a whisper, but apparently that was what is was called in earlier MMO's. People in europe just write "/w me" when they want a reply.

I always found starcraft way worse for slang. Fucked if I know what anyone on those forums is describing at any point in time.

Twinks I find real odd, everywhere else it means something different.

now DILLIGAF. It took my 5 years to figure out what that meant, but my god did I figure it out on my own. It just came to me one day.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post

They say "please pst" because apparently a lot of people think "pst" is the sound you make when trying to get someone's attention to whisper them, rather than an initialism. You know, "pssst" *whispers whatever*.

And KFC is Kung-fu Cleave. I don't remember why it was Kung-fu Cleave, because it predates Monks, but there it is.

"Tells" were the system in most MMOs, rather than whispers, so when existing MMO players came over, they kept the terminology.

Sorry for answering multiple people, but only quoting one. Multi-quote is a pain in the ass on my phone.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Sometimes I think they just pick random words out of a hat (and add "Cleave" to the end). >.>
    Most of them do indeed. But most of the times they're sort of indicators to the DPS in the team. Like for example "Dancing with the star" cleave = Boomkin + Sublety Rogue. Dancing comes from the rogue's "shadow dance" and the star comes from the boomkins "starfall".

Kitty cleave = Feral druid with warrior for example. KFC I'm not really sure of what the official meaning is, but I like to think it stands for Kentucky Fried Chicken xD

But yeah, most comps nowadays simply have the abbreviations of the classes in it like RMP (Rogue, Mage, Priest = RMP), MLS (Mage, Lock, Shaman), LSD (Lock, Shaman, Druid). The last letter of the abbreviations usually indicate the healers.

Other cleaves like "Vanguards" cleave are called that way by the players who made the comp succesful in the first place, while others that are named that way usually don't make any sense in the slightest... (TSG = Teh Supah Gosus)

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I always found starcraft way worse for slang. Fucked if I know what anyone on those forums is describing at any point in time.

Twinks I find real odd, everywhere else it means something different.

now DILLIGAF. It took my 5 years to figure out what that meant, but my god did I figure it out on my own. It just came to me one day.
    Never seen that one, but Do I Look Like I Give A Fuck?

I was pretty confused about "Toes" for a while. I was wondering if a lot of people who were injured in factory work/manual labour were joining WoW given that they seemed to be "LFM/Looking for More Toes" all the time, only to realize they were wanting people for Terrace of Endless Spring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Toon

You're not playing a cartoon, (that's what toon is the short form of). You're playing a character: char, An Avatar: Avy, or heck even a sprite. You're not playing a cartoon, and you're stupid for saying "Yeah I just got new shoulders on my cartoon."
    Toon :Based on Disney's ToonTown Online characters, which came out 2 years before WoW. Your character is a moving painted animated object so it just carried over, as a lot of players played ToonTown before jumping into WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    Toon :Based on Disney's ToonTown Online characters, which came out 2 years before WoW. Your character is a moving painted animated object so it just carried over, as a lot of players played ToonTown before jumping into WoW
    There's also the fact that, especially at the time, WoW was noted for it's cartoony style.

10+ Year Old Account
    The term "tell" goes back to MUDs, which were the text-only ancestors to MMOs.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Deleted
    The abbreviation that annoys me the most is "dps".
    So we have "healer", which is the guy that heals people, we have a "tank", the dude that..tanks (heh), and then we have a ... DAMAGE DEALER. And the logical acronym would be "DD", not dps. I fucking hate "dps"... does not compute.
    How would this sound " A normal party for a dungeon consists of a tank, a healer and 3 damage per second"? Burp!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I remember that a level 50 or so mage asked me to boost him through DM once.
    I was like... Deadmines?
    "Mate, you can solo it"
    "Can i?"
    "Of course, it's for level 20 or so."
    "Alright, thanks, gonna go to Feralas then!"

...damn it. Couldn't we come up with something better than DM= Deadmines= Dire maul, or MT= Mana Tombs= Magister Terrace?

(I've just seen VC= Deadmines on MMOChampion, never in-game)
    I've always referred to Magister's Terrace as MGT, ever since 2.4.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    After Dire maul wsa patched in it was common practice in trade to look for others by using the abreviation DM. In most cases peoepl didn't really care where you were going and the only time it was really posted was "DM tribute run lf some one with frost oil".

You can call all the BS information you want but your not the only one from vanilla still around http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...achievement#81
    exactly. it started right after Dire Maul was added. I was there and I know. As I am sure many people here were there.

"Frost mages aren't OP"

Like seriously what does that mean?