Thread: CPU Upgrade

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CPU Upgrade

So I've been thinking about upgrading my current CPU AMD (Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition) to a (AMD FX-Series FX-8350 4,0Ghz Socket AM3+), currently sitting on a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, Socket-AM3+ MoBo, would there be any problems "installing" it or w/e or can I just plug it in and then I'm good to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll need to update your BIOS to version F7, if it isn't already.

Just don't be surprised if you aren't blown away by the difference. The 8350 is better, but not by a huge amount. You'll need to overclock it to make a decent difference. It might be worthwhile (if you haven't already purchased it) saving up for a current generation CPU.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You'll need to update your BIOS to version F7, if it isn't already.

Just don't be surprised if you aren't blown away by the difference. The 8350 is better, but not by a huge amount. You'll need to overclock it to make a decent difference. It might be worthwhile (if you haven't already purchased it) saving up for a current generation CPU.
    Is there something newer from Amd than the 8350? I got no clue about these generation thingys

Upgrading from phenom x4 965 to anything currently available from AMD is not a good idea because you'll gain only about 15-20% speed in games even with FX-8350 which is nothing really. Instead you should look into overclocking that current x4 to the max.

Only upgrade to get big fps boost in something like WoW is switching to Intel side.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

http://www.gigabyte.se/products/prod...?pid=3907#bios are the versions I can update to, is there any way to check my current version?

10+ Year Old Account
    It should display it in your BIOS, before window starts. The 8350 is the highest CPU you can go with that board.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

http://puu.sh/3qvJ4.jpg
    http://puu.sh/3qvKg.jpg
    http://puu.sh/3qvL8.png
    Is what I get to right now when trying to update, basically says that I need a 32 / 64 bit windows and that it's not compatible with 64 bit windows?

Any1 that could help me with updating the BIOS?

10+ Year Old Account
    What BIOS version do you have now?

I think I have f6, not 100% sure tho, or does it auto update or something? Cause I havent touched anything since I got it, December 2011

10+ Year Old Account
    REboot the computer and go into BIOS before windows starts. Itll show you the version. It does not auto update.

Yeah, i got F3. Had to record with my phone and pause

Warning:
    Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

What's the chance that something like that will happen?
    Last edited by heenksa33; 2013-06-30 at 10:17 AM.

Anyways, should I like upgrade them one by one starting from f4?

Don't need to do all the patches, either just the latest one, or the first one supporting the CPU you want to install. Usually best to put in the latest one.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Don't need to do all the patches, either just the latest one, or the first one supporting the CPU you want to install. Usually best to put in the latest one.
    Alright, well is it the F7 I need for FX 8350?

Get a decent cooler and knock that phenom of yours up to 4.0ghz. That's what I am sitting at and any AMD upgrade isn't cost effective. You either do that, or replace your mobo and get an intel.

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Get a decent cooler and knock that phenom of yours up to 4.0ghz. That's what I am sitting at and any AMD upgrade isn't cost effective. You either do that, or replace your mobo and get an intel.
    Well I got a CM hyper 212+ but I pretty much got no clue how to OC with the voltage and stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    The BIOS update package usually comes with a readme on how exactly to do it, as some are different. If I were to tell you, I'd probably just copy and paste the readme here :P

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The BIOS update package usually comes with a readme on how exactly to do it, as some are different. If I were to tell you, I'd probably just copy and paste the readme here :P
    There isn't a readme thingy that comes with it :S
    http://puu.sh/3sQeo.jpg are the things that follow, the one that looks like a text document isn't. I tried to change it to a text document but, yeah.. And you can see on the pictures a little bit higher up in here what happens when I press em all
    If I run FLASHPI as administrator http://puu.sh/3sQkL.jpg shows up, saying that it can't locate it

---------- Post added 2013-07-02 at 01:09 AM ----------

Do I need to do anything with the voltage when OCing? That seems scary :S
    Other specs in my comp ( If that's somehow needed ) Silverpower -something- 500W , Sapphire Radeon 6950 1 gb I think, dual fan etc etc, 8 gb's off 1333 Mhz ram I think? Scoring 7.7 in WEI
    Last edited by heenksa33; 2013-07-01 at 09:21 PM.

Would it be worth updating to version F8a? Assuming that 1 would work