View Poll Results: What do you think about this incident?

Voters
570. This poll is closed
  • The Dubai governemnt did the right thing

32 5.61%
  • The woman did something wrong

18 3.16%
  • Everyone involved did something wrong

111 19.47%
  • The woman did nothing wrong, it was the Dubai government's fault

409 71.75%
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    My brain just shrank and started to cry. Hasn't happened since I found out about the flat earth society.

Just when I thought that the maximum levels of foolery, words being taken out of context, and illogical assumptions based on those words that were taken out of context on this thread have been reached, someone else comes to prove me wrong. Congratulations.
    If you had experienced what it's like to be raped I think you'd find you'd be disgusted with people blaming the victim and making excuses for rapists. There is no excuse for it. I don't give a shit what their laws are and whether or not she knew about them before she moved there. Nowhere on this planet is it ok to be raped, nowhere on this planet is it ok to have no sympathy for a victim cause they moved to a place with barbaric laws. No matter how you try and spin it in your head, it's not ok. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    If you had experienced what it's like to be raped I think you'd find you'd be disgusted with people blaming the victim and making excuses for rapists. There is no excuse for it. I don't give a shit what their laws are and whether or not she knew about them before she moved there. Nowhere on this planet is it ok to be raped, nowhere on this planet is it ok to have no sympathy for a victim cause they moved to a place with barbaric laws. No matter how you try and spin it in your head, it's not ok. The end.
    Of course it's not okay to be raped.

Put it this way, though. There are plenty of things that are backwards in between many legal systems. In North Korea marijuana is legal. Not even decriminalized. Full blown legal. Now pretend North Koreans were free to come to the US and one was walking down the street of NYC smoking a blunt. Obviously he'd get arrested despite the fact that he'd done nothing wrong by his home country's standards.

Or a Saudi family coming to the US and the husband acting all surprised when he gets arrested and thrown in prison for beating his wife.

The point is there are key cultural and legal differences you MUST be aware of before traveling abroad.

The fact that it's all but illegal to simply have a vagina in the Middle East is one of those things. Does it fucking suck? Of course it does. Is there anything to be done about it? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I fail to see how I am ignoring reason by addressing reality instead of hailing some fantasy of yours that such nations are just going to magically decide to throw out all the laws you don't like. If addressing reality is "ignoring any reason" to you, then I suggest you step out of serious discussion.

It is not going to be discarded and when it is disobeyed or willfully or unwillingly violated, the nation in question has a meaningful change of enforcing it. That is reality. If you don't like it, don't go there. Whether it should or should not be discarded is irrelevant to that reality.
    What? Stop putting words into my keyboard. All I said was that you ignore the fact that it is an evil law and that it is the state, the perpetrator that should be punished. Instead you just can't get enough of blaming the victim, as if that's all we can do.

The only thing that is sick and twisted are the eastern/islamic laws.

MEMO to all the european/western citizens: do NOT travel to eastern/islamic countries, regardless of how "civilized" they supposedly are.

I really do not know how can people be older than 16 years AND still not be familiar with the proven-and-tested fact bolded above...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's not so much about the raping, that was horrible and not her fault at all. It's the whole coming forward about it that landed her in jail that she shouldn't have done and probably wouldn't have if she was more familiar with the archaic, piece of shit laws there. She didn't do anything wrong but it's not a wise choice to work in a backwards country. I would be terrified there.
    Saying archaic and piece of shit makes it sound like you sympathize with the victim but you really aren't deluding anyone by criticizing her wisdom for absolutely no point.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm007 View Post
    And how the fuck has no one blamed her colleague for raping her AND getting her sentenced to prison at the same time? I don't understand how he's not even on the poll, because if there is anyone to blame, it's him.
    This is actually a really good point, were it not that it's pretty obvious that he is the one to blame for being a bloody... You know; rapist.
    But it's more about the prison sentence of the innocent woman than it is about the crime of rape; that is a different discussion, but let's just say that I don't see anyone ever supporting the rapist.

Deleted
    They did the right thing no loopholes or special treatment when in rome.....

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Saying archaic and piece of shit makes it sound like you sympathize with the victim but you really aren't deluding anyone by criticizing her wisdom for absolutely no point.
    Okay wait just a minute.

Hold up for a second.

No one is saying she did anything wrong.

What we're saying is you can't simply ignore the fact that she took a risk working there and got burned.

When you do something that is known to be dangerous by reasonable people, and you roll snake-eyes doing so, you are not absolved from all criticism just because you are a victim.

Roy Horn got bit by a fucking lion and half the people went "No shit? I can't believe it took this long" when they heard about it.

Timothy Treadwell spent years playing with bears and wound up getting shat out by one.

Pippa Bacca hitchhiked across the Middle East alone and in a wedding dress. Wound up raped and murdered.

The list goes on and on. No one instance of this is more or less tragic than any other, but they all have something in common. Each person took a serious risk doing what they were doing whether they knew/acknolwedged it or not. They are all tragedies but that doesn't absolve them of being criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The same thing I always think about these sorts of things - nations like the UAE should be treated as black sheep by the international community until they sort out the very basics of participating in civilized society. I still can't fucking believe they gave the World Cup to Qatar.
    Well said, I completely agree.

Also I had forgotten they got the World Cup, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No one is saying she did anything wrong.
    You haven't been reading this thread then. The fact that the option on the poll that she did something wrong even exists shows exactly how much rape culture exists on this site. It's truly sickening.

rape culture
    No such thing.

Not in the western world anyway.

You haven't been reading this thread then. The fact that the option on the poll that she did something wrong even exists shows exactly how much rape culture exists on this site. It's truly sickening.
    You haven't been paying attention, then.
    The fact that she did something wrong (make a mistake in going there) does not make her responsible, accountable, or to be blamed for what happened, and hardly anyone (I would hazard to say: Nobody) is arguing otherwise. (Well; apart from a few voters who chose not to partake in the discussion)

Cut it out with the fucking strawmen already!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    What? Stop putting words into my keyboard. All I said was that you ignore the fact that it is an evil law and that it is the state, the perpetrator that should be punished. Instead you just can't get enough of blaming the victim, as if that's all we can do.
    Putting words into your keyboard? Even if I had done that, it would be a hypocritical thing for you to say as that is exactly what you doing in your post. Please, explain to me (with quotes and your interpretation of them, not just a simple "we all know you did") how I did so. I have done nothing but address reality in the hope that people will do their research when they plan on going to places such as this thereby potentially reducing the number of future victims.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-07-18 at 10:38 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

If you voted anything but (The woman did nothing wrong, it was the Dubai government's fault ) you should be ashamed of yourself .

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Despite being a Norwegian, I need more evidence in regards to this before coming to any conclusion. There are, on the other hand, those who use the 'Rape-card' (or 'racism-card') whenever they feel the 'need' to use it. I really do not know in this case, but it has been proven time and time again that men have been falsely prosecuted (and often destroyed professionally) due to a former partner having some kind of grudge towards said person.

Certain parts of the world has their own set of rules. You should NOT be surprised when you ask for some kind of service or assistance and it backfires. Even though you're Norwegian or European or American, it doesn't mean that the country you visits should follow the rules you're used to. Try doing that in for instance in Singapore and you would be caned (I've lived in Singapore).

So, my conclusion is that we need more evidence in regards to this case. The laws of Dubai is as it is and they should be followed independent of nationality if she falsely accused person X of rape. If the rape did happen (in the sense of how the term 'rape' is defined) she should the freed and person X prosecuted. As of now we'll just have to follow the case, or in my case just forget about it and move on with my life.

I try to remain quite neutral in situations like this but can't condone a sentence that punishes someone for being raped; an action that someone has no voluntary involvement in.

I do think it's disgusting that they have such laws in place and it should be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    *Snip*
    Okay; I take that back. Maybe one person.

Wow what a silly occurrence...

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Okay; I take that back. Maybe one person.
    I'm not quite following your quote of my post and your reply? Care to elaborate? Mind you I haven't read the entire thread and would not be familiar with the different views discussed.

Not everyone is on this YOU CANNOT VICTIM BLAME AT ALL bandwagon. I certainly am not. Nothing excuses a rapist, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who make absolutely stupid decisions to get to that point. Much like, while dying is never a good thing, I have no sympathy for people who commit suicide or accidentally drug overdose. That is simply stupid.