10+ Year Old Account

Question about current time requirements of endgame

I played world of warcraft a little bit in BC, and all through WotLK and Cata.

I'm wanting to get back into it but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to be competitive in endgame raiding. So I'm trying to figure out how much time I'll be expected to spend on dailies to get valor points or w/e to hit the point cap like you did in Cata. I'm not talking about time actually spent raiding, just the other stuff on the side to stay competitive.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone wanna give some input?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry that nobody replied to it, wonder why =/

Mists of Pandaria is one of the greatest expansions and offers you way to much things to do, and it will suck down all your time.
    Raiding is harder then WOTLK/Cata though, so if you want to raid, expect alot of time and energy in it! =)

I won't spoil what Mists of Pandaria has to offer, but if you want to play, Check it out. It's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

it takes a couple of hours each week to reach valor cap. maybe 2-4 depending on how you choose to do it and how your gear is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it also depends on how your guild or whoever you raids with requires of you.

If you are just trying to PuG then you should be okay with spending an hour a day lets say to grind the necessary gold/mats to have flasks/food.

Although if you have a guild that is incredibly competitive i.e World firsts.. H modes etc.. Then you will have to spend quite a bit more time capping valor and mkaing sure you have the best possible gear.

All in all i agree that it is a lot of fun and worth the small amount of money to be able to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

Deleted
    With the new HC scenarios valor capping is really quick and easy (of course this is somewhat gear/comp dependent) but there is also the option of running dungeons, doing dailies, LFR and the weekly barrens quest. I would say once your gear is at a half decent level (500+ which is easily achievable in a couple of resets) you can cap valor in a couple of hours. Once you're raiding the 40vp per boss helps.

Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    it takes a couple of hours each week to reach valor cap. maybe 2-4 depending on how you choose to do it and how your gear is.
    How do you valor cap in 2-4 hours? Just curious on your strat. I tend to good off a lot, so it takes me a lot longer. I always wondered how I would maximize it if I tried.

Deleted
    I cap valor mostly by zerging an heroic 5 man every day ... they take 5 mins to complete nowadays for 80 valor. Same for hc scenarios if i have guildies online, 120/150 valor there.. That's usually enough.

Get some raid kills on the side (I dont need LFR anymore), and im usually capped by Saturday.

Deleted
    It's a bit of a misleading thought that you need to give every night of your week to raiding or preparing. I can only think that it's just people who want to keep something special for themselves that allow this myth to perpetuate, unless you want to seriously seriously push for realm firsts. If you want to properly raid, have a think about what nights and times you could actually commit, and search for a guild that only does these. Sites like wowprogress allow you to filter your class, your language, and your number of days.

If you want to try and get in current level gear then you'll need to do LFR since the fun thing about the VP vendors is you can't buy the gear that will help you raid and grind without raiding and getting the rep. You would only need to do two days of Isle of Thunder dailies to have enough to buy some coins for LFR. If you're only a dps then that will take longer to queue for. Battlefield Barrens will get you 200 VP and a 489 piece per week - have found this extremely grindy but good for alts.