Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would You Like Player Houses and Guild Halls in WoW?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_riSI7Ydg

Wildstar is a brand new MMORPG on the horizon but if [MMORPG] history serves a purpose it's that it "always" repeats itself; Wildstar will fail, World of Warcraft will pick up the pieces, and carry over:

In this Wildstar trailer friends can both make and decorate houses and gather friends to accumulate resources and wealth to further make a barracks/outpost and then other Wildstar players can participate by trying to lay siege to the entire thing.

My question then to you is this: would you like Player Houses and Guild Halls in World of Warcraft? How do you think Blizzard would go about doing it if they did? Where would you build it if you could?

I'd make an all Nightelf race-guild and plant the Outpost in Ashenvale; or even an all goblin/gnome guild with pirate Transmog gear on an island; if ye want me hide then ye be passin' threw bess fight'n men did South Sea ever saw.

Now get to discussion before I Keehauls ya dirty land lubbers racked wit' scurvy!

I wouldn't mind guild housing as another form of content to get people out in the world and running older and newer instances. I could see decorative items dropping from all sorts of dungeons, raids, quests, mobs, and other players for PvP.

As I see it, Sunsong Ranch was a bit of an experiment with player housing. Everybody gets their own little piece of the world and as they progress through their own reputation/quest chain with The Tillers and increases friendship with each member, the ranch changes. Perhaps we could someday be able to pick the place we put our little house and choose the decor and little functions like mailbox, repair, etc.?

I wasn't too sure about the concept at first, as it seemed mostly pointless, but the way you describe it actually sounds kind of fun. I'm not the sort of person who normally joins guilds (why talk to people when you don't have to?), but if they instituted something like this I might be tempted.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

I think it's silly, a complete waste of time creating something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Yeah I tend to agree with this. That being said...if it didn't take too much resources away from traditional content I suppose I couldn't begrudge its implementation, seeing as how many people seem to be into this kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see some incarnation of player housing in the next expansion in lieu of the farm (something similar to the farmhouse with more customization and the ability to invite others into your phase). Not something I am interested in tho.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Since I like Sunsong Ranch, I feel like house done right could be a lot of fun. But at the same time, if they add something like that that I just abandon again each expansion, I'll be much less interested.

Deleted
    I like the idea of having my own ship as player housing. Similar to SWTORs ships, but on the sea of course.

Deleted
    Its impossible to have player housing in Wow.

Its been discussed many times and the conclusion is that its impossible to add housing into Azeroth because of the tech which is run on the Wow servers. Basically its impossible to change the servers programming to allow for it.

Ofc its possible to have instanced housing... but that means u will be the only person who can see your house.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Given the success of the farm I think phased personal housing may be a feature in a soon-coming expansion.

Honestly as subs keep falling I think it'll be next expansion. Anything to retain more players.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am part of the camp that doesn't like players sitting in instances (which is all player housing or guild halls could EVER be outside of UO.

That said, I would love Guild Naval ships as perhaps a buyable reward for getting to Guild Level 50 (if it ever happens). Even if they just stood in the respective harbors of the capital cities when sufficient number of Guild Members are present in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post

Its been discussed many times and the conclusion is that its impossible to add housing into Azeroth because of the tech which is run on the Wow servers. Basically its impossible to change the servers programming to allow for it.

Ofc its possible to have instanced housing... but that means u will be the only person who can see your house.
    At no point has Blizzard said it is impossible due to "WoW being Old". They have said they don't want to invest time in making something that would result in cities being deserted.

The Farm uses phasing technology that would be great for player housing. In fact, the farm is player housing without walls. The idea that it isn't feasible due to a limitation of the WoW operational hardware is just a load of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikiyodragon View Post
    I wouldn't mind guild housing as another form of content to get people out in the world and running older and newer instances. I could see decorative items dropping from all sorts of dungeons, raids, quests, mobs, and other players for PvP.

As I see it, Sunsong Ranch was a bit of an experiment with player housing. Everybody gets their own little piece of the world and as they progress through their own reputation/quest chain with The Tillers and increases friendship with each member, the ranch changes. Perhaps we could someday be able to pick the place we put our little house and choose the decor and little functions like mailbox, repair, etc.?
    To me, Sunsong Ranch was closer to a daily quest hub than actual player/guild housing. Everybody "owned" the same plot of land. It was very linear in growth. It offered no customization. Under the current phasing, if it did offer services comparable to Wildstar's housing, it would only serve to separate the player and the community further. Even if we could choose our house location, the phasing would need to change.

They could offer set plots of land dedicated for such housing. Honestly, there is quite a bit of unused space in WoW as it is. Mountain ridges, dead space between questing areas, empty buildings in cities, etc. It could be interesting if they tied guild "server first" achievements with special house models or a unique location until the next major server first.

No I wouldn't, what a stupid idea, why would I want my very own space and a special place to hang out with my guild? Wh would you ever think of such a silly, pointless idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuffel View Post
    No I wouldn't, what a stupid idea, why would I want my very own space and a special place to hang out with my guild? Wh would you ever think of such a silly, pointless idea?
    They do have plenty of places typically referred to as "Inns" already implemented that even contain crazy shit like chairs, tables, local service providers, beer and they are even in scenic locations. The fact that you either haven't attempted to meet in these locations *or* you have and it flopped, really speaks to the "Demand" for player/guild housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post

They never said it was impossible. An early alpha build did have models and plans for player housing, they just didn't like how it was implemented and cut the feature.

Until someone comes up with a unique way to add player/guild housing without removing the player from the world and creating a compelling system for the housing, they will not add the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    They do have plenty of places typically referred to as "Inns" already implemented that even contain crazy shit like chairs, tables, local service providers, beer and they are even in scenic locations. The fact that you either haven't attempted to meet in these locations *or* you have and it flopped, really speaks to the "Demand" for player/guild housing.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but my post was sarcastic.

I don't know that I'd enjoy player or guild housing any more than I enjoy sitting on a mount in a major city when I'm not playing. I wouldn't put the time in to building or developing it so it would be a stick hut with me sitting on my mount in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Player Houses, yes. Guild Halls, no.

I feel that a guild hall would either be useless or just replace capitol cities. One is a waste of design time, the other obsoletes socialization (and effectively makes Captiols a waste of design time)
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Not really. There's a good number of RP realms that would drool over this.

no i wouldn't like guild player housing, because why? i'd rather have more guild levels and perks. Getting people into more phased content is just awful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritthepally View Post
    no i wouldn't like guild player housing, because why? i'd rather have more guild levels and perks. Getting people into more phased content is just awful.
    you know you can have both right?