Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

EA cancels F2P Command & Conquer, disbands Victory Studios

EA has halted development on the free-to-play version of popular RTS franchise Command & Conquer and disbanded the team working on the title.

Originally known as Command & Conquer Generals 2, the title was changed to just Command & Conquer. Along with the rebranding came a shift from single to multiplayer gameplay, with episodic content and a free-to-play business model.

A message from Victory Studios broke the news to fans, explaining that the team felt they'd chosen the wrong direction for the game.

"The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an EA spokesperson told Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA."

Develop has more details.
    Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-ca...tudios/0123433

Personally I'm not that sad to see this fall though, i'm not to keen on the FTP RTS scene anyway. here's hoping they pick it up back up and make it a normal retail game.

Well, that shit went down quite a bit faster than I predicted. EA sure likes to surprise.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Not surprised, at all.

After the recent crap that EA's been through they are going to be more cautious and stick to sports games and bro-shooters.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Better that they cancel the development of a game going in the wrong direction then releasing a bad F2P game where they try to milk the players with a cash shop, them shutting down the studio at the same time i dunno what to feel about though.

EA is brutal. At least let the studio live for christ's sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds similar to age of empires online so don't really mind that they cancelled it >.<

just EA being EA.

"Something isn't going right?!? Cancel the game and kill the studio!!!!"
    - Electronic Arts, Inc.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    FP2 and RTS just dosen't match.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    FP2 and RTS just dosen't match.
    Why not? Just sell different skins for heroes if it were a WC III style game or units and for the buildings. Different spell animations etc. I think it would work

15+ Year Old Account
    People wernt happy with em adding micro transactions, u could BUY generals, so instead of removing the OBVIOUS P2W part, they cancelled a game they could have released after 1 month of polish and tuning

GG EA killing ANOTHER game out of pure greed
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    People wernt happy with em adding micro transactions, u could BUY generals, so instead of removing the OBVIOUS P2W part, they cancelled a game they could have released after 1 month of polish and tuning
    The game itself was awful crap as well so 1 month of polish and tuning wouldn't have changed anything.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

So, because they cancelled a game that had money grabbing aspects, they are greedy?

I haven't paid attention to this games development because it looked terrible from the start, regardless of payment model, but let me ask you this, I can buy champions in league of legends. Is it pay to win?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    meh, the later C&C titles werent nearly as fun for me personally anyways. best buy had a 10 game C&C pack that i bought a couple years back for like $30 it had, at the time, all the C&C titles i believe and i never really got into the newer ones, like C&C Generals and stuff.

give me Red Alert or the original

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    So, because they cancelled a game that had money grabbing aspects, they are greedy?

I haven't paid attention to this games development because it looked terrible from the start, regardless of payment model, but let me ask you this, I can buy champions in league of legends. Is it pay to win?
    Well, actually yes, but they have free rotations. So nobody gives a pancake.

Ah, okay.

False alarm, people. The guys saying this is P2W also think that league is P2W.

Last good C&C game, IMO, was C&C3, and the expansion for it. Never liked the Generals series, Red Alert 3 was "ok", and C&C4 was trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank lord they canceled that piece of ***** game.
    It was nothing else than a moneygrab game. I have seen the gameplay videos and its horible. (infantry faster than tanks for example)

Anyway if you realy want to play generals 2 just install shockwave mod .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Exactly... I was hoping they would make it with a campaing mode too but then they just cancel it all? I hate EA more each passing day.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

I'm not really disappointed about the game being cancelled, since I didn't really expect much greatness from it, but it's a shame that the studio was disbanded. Here's hoping that they are able to find new jobs very soon.