Poll: Thoughts on underwater zones

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd quit if it was non-optional. Placing AOEs and traps sucked rancid donkey balls, and the lack of depth perception because of the hazy underwater graphic effect made positioning often a pain. I'm not playing through that garbage again.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Single underwater zone: Great
    Whole underwater expansion: Terrible

I level all of my alts hitting level 80 in Vashj'ir, this has become especially true as I hear the woes of people trying to level in Hyjal post CRZ (I play on a pvp server but level 90 griefing is pathetic).

Side note: I would absolutely love to see a well implemented one raid boss that takes place underwater with true 3D mechanics. We had p3 of Al'akir take place while flying, but that was almost entirely 1-dimensional (Small knockback but aside from that pure up and down movement.) masquerading as 3D.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdocs View Post
    terrible idea i know, but i'm bored at work.

If we get underwater zones in next expansion that functions like that in cataclysm, what would your responses be?

I personally did not like underwater zones whatsoever and hope that it is greatly different from the cata design.
    I clicked "great" in the pool, but now that i read your comment, if its like cataclysm is bad, at least for me, but IMPO Blizzard won't do the same mistake twice, they won't add underwater areas the same way they did in cataclysm

10+ Year Old Account
    the only reason i didn't like Vashj'ir was the music. Jeremy Soule would have been the perfect composer for this zone.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    while i thought vashjir was probably one of the best looking zones it just didnt interest me all that much. i just dont like underwater zones in any game. the combat felt clunky and even though travel speed was handled decently it still felt like the zone took forever to traverse.

an optional zone wouldnt be awful but its most likely something id only do once

I guess if it was optional, but if a good chunk of xpac is underwater (in water) game play, i hope it's underwater 2.0 new and way improved.

Bad , if the whole expansion is like Vashj'ir but if its made like SSC were you can walk i am fine with it .

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mind it at all. As a melee it got annoying at times, as a range it wasn't bad and it was fun.

I think that having a zone where it's submerged but not filled with water would be nice. Like Throne of the Tides areas would be cool, or temples where once you enter it's protected by a barrier and you're no longer suspended that would be nice (Like the Vasj'ir temples), or Zones built like that, where you go out into the world and it's underwater, but most of what's done is indoors, I'd like that.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Never liked underwater mechanics and I'm hoping the next expansion want go there. Having some underwater mechanics is OK in small doses. I may be wrong but from what I remember reading, most players avoided Vashj'ir after a short time. If that's true, I highly doubt Blizz will go there again.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it involves more underwater zones in which I mean like we can have a lot of different zones to choose from until you go to the middle one and face Queen Azshara herself.
    It would be nice to if there was a zone you can get into buy swimming up through somewhere and go you into like a chasm of some sort with mostly a place involving a cavern in the places you could survive in Vashj'ir, but more like a whole zone deciated to that in which you get to meet new enemies and allies along the way.

I'm up for anything to and I did like Vashj'ir a lot, but still to I hope to meet new interesting creatures and even allies who need our help in the new world.
    For the Horde!

Depends how many there are. If the majority of the expansion is underwater, I'd likely sit it out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Vash'jir was one of the best Zones in cata IMO. the only problem was the agroing from mobs that were higher or lower than us. I think it can be solved if blizzard makes it so that characters that enter underwater zones will have their viewports (viewscreens? I don't remember the exact name) changed to a more on-top view, like the camera angles of traditional strategy games or Diablo. this way players will see better what's around them.

Vashir remains one of the few post WOTLK zones with any sense of danger. Trying to get past the Naga or gremlins area where you could get swarmed anytime (at appropriate gear/lvl of course).

Also it was the only zone in Cata that had a sense of wonder to explore. I actually came across my ghostcrawler spirit beast just exploring, not even looking for it. So yes, more of that please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Vashj'ir! :D

If TDB is real and we go deep-oceans + creepy Old God caverns and other generally awesome, exotic stuff again... I'll probably have to dust my account off and resub. WoW starting to feel like WoW again is what has me interested in all the news about it lately.

MoP just didn't capture me at all; seeing the Vale explode made me /cheer IRL, and the chance to punch the Golden Lotus daily-givers in the face is almost worth subbing for 5.4. :p

So yes. Bring back cool zones!

I wouldn't object to one if they did it like a regular zone but with an underwater back drop. Also, the visibility in Vash sucked, also how the layout was of certain things; i.e., you need to get to an NPC who's dot is right next to yours but you need to go find the entrance to the damm cave he's in, which is way around the damm canyon wall, up over the coral.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    Vash'jir was one of the best Zones in cata IMO. the only problem was the agroing from mobs that were higher or lower than us. I think it can be solved if blizzard makes it so that characters that enter underwater zones will have their viewports (viewscreens? I don't remember the exact name) changed to a more on-top view, like the camera angles of traditional strategy games or Diablo. this way players will see better what's around them.
    The only problem with this is that you're still only seeing the mobs in a 2d setting. Are they higher than you, or below you?
    Last edited by Manataurus; 2013-08-22 at 11:21 PM.

If they made Swimming the new flying, where marine animals replace birds and dragons, I would get behind it. But an entirely 3-d underwater zone? Unless they completely revamp the way underwater combat happens then no. Even if it's optional, no.

Welp, no alts for me, and I'll have to bribe a guildie to level my main for me. I can't do underwater zones, I have some sort of phobia about being underwater that translates into video games (in a more mild form), but it still results in a very rapid heart rate and anxiety, increasing with the size/scale and depth of the underwater zone. I didn't last more than a few minutes in Vasjh'ir.

If the endgame was underwater at all, I'd have to quit and wait for the next expansion.

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Vashj'ir's environment, but as a leveling/questing zone? Vashj'ir was terrible in that category. If Blizzard can make the leveling experience /BETTER/ in an underwater environment, then I may support one as a leveling/questing zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said. This thread makes me sad. I WANT MORE UNDERWATER CONTENT DAMN IT!!!!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I really like it, but the 3D combat wasnt very enjoyable for everyone, and it made some people sick i think