Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    So here's my story. I play on the horde and during the bonfire event (where you burned the giant strawman) some alliance were coming and killing people (PvE server) that were flagged and harassing. So anyway, past the orb that takes you to silver moon there is a little courtyard that is walled off and you can't get to it. They camped out in there so I flew in and attacked because I was bored and world PvP can be fun. Well they killed me and it was physically IMPOSSIBLE to get to my body. Thankfully some guy from another realm found me and rezzed me after about 5 minutes of asking for help. What did this do? Well, I for one will never participate in world PvP again. So rather than just provide a ghost mount which wouldn't hurt anything at all the game lost a world PvPer instead. Good thing this outdated pointless system is still around, am I right?!

It's stupid tiny things like this that cause people to stop playing the game and with dwindling sub numbers maybe making these simply QoL changes would help. I mean they certainly couldn't hurt. We already have an incentive to not die, it's called durability loss and time loss. Why do we need an additional penalty on top of that? We don't.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Wow, this is a stupid thread.

Dying in WoW means nothing, losing ten minutes of your time is nothing, running back to your corpse takes 2-3 minutes tops and if your lazy to do that then spirit rez log on another char for ten minutes and come back. The rez system in this game is made for scrubs and casuals, you lose absolutely nothing for dying! Deal with it, good thing your not playing a mmo from back in the day like UO where you actually lost all your gear! the whining you would see from this entitled generation of gamer would be hilarious!

Enjoy your ten minute rez timer for being bad and go look out the window or something...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Why is Resurrection sickness even in the game?
    It's a waste of time to everybody, and I don't care that you don't have to corpse run, it's still a waste of time.
    If I choose to resurrect at the spirit healer, I get a 10 minute timer where I can do... Nothing!

What do you think about resurrection timers, should they be in the game?
    I think you should be grateful you don't lose your gold and gear (and experience if you're still leveling) when you die.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Resurrection sickness even in the game?
    It's a waste of time to everybody, and I don't care that you don't have to corpse run, it's still a waste of time.
    If I choose to resurrect at the spirit healer, I get a 10 minute timer where I can do... Nothing!

What do you think about resurrection timers, should they be in the game?
    because dying needs to have meaning/consequences. If you ran into a place and over-estimated your abilities or under-estimated the power of the monsters then there should be consequences. Would you prefer to just lolroflstomp everything and never die? Unless you died and had no alternatives BUT to go to spirit healer then yea maybe bad game design but it is very rare in WoW where you died and could not get back to body.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish death on WoW was more like death on runescape, you lose everything but the 3 most expensive items in your inventory.

Unless your character is stuck somewhere that your spirit can't reach your corpse, then res. sickness is a waste of time. It take a fraction of the time to just run to your corpse then it does for a 10 minute debuff to wear off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Unless your character is stuck somewhere that your spirit can't reach your corpse, then res. sickness is a waste of time. It take a fraction of the time to just run to your corpse then it does for a 10 minute debuff to wear off.
    And who's fault is it for ghosts not being able to fly everywhere?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I don't even know why you think having to click your headpiece or boots one by one as stuff breaks is a better system, and repair bills ARE pretty heavy as it is (ever progressed?).
    I dunno about that. When I was progressing, I'd lose a hundred, hundred twenty or so gold to a repair. When I can spend a couple hours (at most) posting glyphs on the AH and pick up a few thousand gold in my mailbox the next day...

I suggest clicking individual pieces because it forces the newer player to realize "I fucked up on my head, I fucked up on my belt, I fucked up on my boots...". It's a psychological thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they should be in game. Stop asking for the game to be easier, die less, don't be lazy and run to your corpse, as easy as that.

15+ Year Old Account
    The penalty for dying is almost non exsistant these days, in vanilla, the 10% durability loss already hurt you gold-wise, let alone spirit ressing with an offspec set in your bag (or 3/4 sets for druids, now THAT hurt). Can't really complain about 10mins, otherwise ppl would just use dying as a sort of heartstone suiciding and spiritressing if that would be closer to the questgiver.

Since dying in wow means nothing now I wish in solo pve situations you would have a 10% proc chance of losing one of your items, that someone else can pick up. that means if you're completely terribru in solo you would actually get an incentive to improve your skills and be more careful.

This feels like an "I got ganked and don't want to keep getting killed near my body over and over again" type of thread

Otherwise why the complaint about having to run (for much less than 10 minutes I'm sure) back to your body.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    Because you fucked up and died, deal with it-Blizzard
    Or it was some retarded flub for some other reason. The last 5 times I've had to rez with rez sickness was due to somehow winding up being unable to retrieve my corpse mostly due to my corpse somehow being in a different zone I was unable to reach again (mostly happened in the solo scenarios with under geared alts, I'd die as the final troll boss did and before i could corpse run or rez I'd appear in the open world version of the island and my corpse was still in the instance)

The worst part i've found is that it doesn't seem to count down when logged out. Really it's overkill in today's game and should go the way of the 20 minute corpse runs into regions with 1.5 minute creature repop (think silithus sized zone with only ONE graveyard)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    Since dying in wow means nothing now I wish in solo pve situations you would have a 10% proc chance of losing one of your items, that someone else can pick up. that means if you're completely terribru in solo you would actually get an incentive to improve your skills and be more careful.
    not with a heavy RNG loot system and everything being solubound. If we were crafting stuff instead of pulling it all out of a boss' corpse it'd be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Rez sickness isnt even a penalty compared to other games. If anything you should be down on your knees thanking Blizzard for making death such an obscure part of the game.
    Rez sickness isn't a death penalty though. It's more of a penalty for not having a real healer to help you. IF you need to be rezzed by a spirit healer it means 10 minutes of being useless that must be spent while actually logged in... 75% reduced stats and another 75% damage output reduction? Have fun trolling in chat while waiting for this debuff to expire.... (really should go away when not logged in imo)
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2013-08-27 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because if you're brought back to life you don't feel good for a while? I dunno, just be glad characters aren't teleported to a hospital where they remain unable to get out of bed for a day.

I don't even take Rez Sickness unless it absolutely can't be helped... I will find my darn body where ever it is. Have a friend who just finds it easier to take it and find her way back alive. One of those types who just doesn't get it. I think I have hand prints from facepalming. I mean really, you are of no help to me/us if you have that debuff, thanks.

Deleted
    Haven't died in outdoor since wotlk so I don't really care to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you have to pay a price if you don't want to run back to your corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    I think you should stop being lazy and run back. If there was no penalty for dying, then people would find a way to exploit it. How WoW handles dying is nothing compared to how MMOs used to.
    Just because something is better doesn't mean it handles it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Sometimes running back is not a possibility.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Dying means you are failing, failure should not be rewarded in any capacity.
    Without failure, you cannot grow. Not learning from failure is a punishment, but failure itself means you attempted something extraordinary. People who never try, never get to see failure or its benefits. In the game, if you never challenge yourself, you'll never fail. Setting up huge penalties for failure means people are less likely to make attempts at things they are not sure the chance of success. This is not something to encourage in society as a whole.

The penalty incurred in failure in WoW is the high cost of repairs, especially as your gear reaches the upper limits of an xpac. It shouldn't be running to your corpse for 10 minutes for attempting a rare at a low gear level, or trying to pull a huge pack or attempting a several higher level mob/pack of mobs. The lesson to be learned by that player can be several things ... 1) how to play better including usage of more abilities and cooldowns, especially with repeated attempts at the challenge. 2) the knowledge they need to improve, whether in skill or in gear/character level, etc. and then attempt the challenge at a later time after they feel they've improved. 3) the opportunity to work together with other to take on this challenge, instead of just being discouraged because there is no way they will do another 15 minutes corpse run again (or be required to spirit rez because your corpse is inaccessible). .... among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSteveBrule View Post
    Why are we even alowed to die in WoW? It's a waste of time! What's this Azeroth doing in this game? Who wants to travel to places? Where's the instant teleport button? The fuck are these mobs doing here, why do I have to do stuff for my sword?

It's all a waste of time!
    Death is important, and the increasing repair cost is a great penalty. Spirit rez should definitely continue to take a big chunk of durability, but I feel the 'sickness' part is outdated. Other games have options WoW doesn't ... just as WoW was less punishing than EQ, these games have a limited forgiveness for tackling tougher obstacles; e.g. Rift spirit walk, SWtOR rez machine things ... though they have a timer that limits repeated usage in short periods of time. For those who've only played WoW, think of it similar to DK starting area with the LK watching over you and giving you a rez from a valkyr or whatever if you overdo it.

Also, you've already lost time, by death. You lose even more time by spirit resurrection; because you are still far away from your corpse, where you were questing, etc.

I know the way it can be abused; but sometimes that isn't a bad thing. In SWtOR, there was a Heroic 4 in Black Hole everyone jumped off the edge to die instead of back tracking the entire instance and back to the turn ins; the death at the medic saved you that time for you rez'd right where you needed to be to turn in your quests. This would help sometimes in WoW, helping you not have to kill all the respawns you just killed on the way to your objective; though it could at times put you out of your way and make it more painful if you aren't familiar with graveyard locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Im just sick of people that are entitled to their time. What? You died? Should the game say "Sorry" to you and give you more subscribtion time and a goddamn cookie!? You died. DIED. There is and should be a PENALTY for fucking up in games! So you should stop doing it!
    Disagreeing with certain in game mechanics, feeling some are outdated, etc. does not equal feeling entitled. An avid EQ player would call you not losing xp 'entitled bs'. When you pull that card, you need to call into question everything that is 'easier' than the most hardcore game that you enjoy; then maybe you'll lighten up a bit and take ideas and suggestions about mechanics that not everyone enjoys as just that; whether you disagree or not. Whining about the suggestion adds nothing to the discussion. Death is a penalty; time and gold. This penalty would still exist if you could rez at the spirit without the stat debuff. The durability hit could still exist, basically paying greatly for the convenience of not corpse running. Not to mention half the graveyards are out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    Like many people have already said, without any kind of penalty for getting yourself killed, why would you feel an urge to try and stay alive? Wow is really "kind" on the dying thing compared to other rpgs that will for example drop all your loot, set you back in exp etc etc.
    Why do people act like players are just going to run around suiciding constantly if something like this happened? What it would do is encourage players to take more risks and challenges in the game. Just killed an elite (like the rock guys in hellfire), try taking on 2 or 3 at a time. Take on more until you are nearly overwhelmed. Doing stuff like that without dying is fun. Paying a repair bill if you die is fine. The penalties aren't fun, the challenge is. You risk the same thing. The only difference is rez sickness, not your penalties in time or currency.

Quote Originally Posted by eldritchforeshadow View Post
    Rez sickness is a penalty for dying in the game. It teaches you to not make the same mistakes again which will make you a more careful player and you will die less. I have played rpg's or mmo's where you lost gold or half a level if you died.
    I think playing more careful is a detriment to gaming. Playing it safe is not fun. Taking risks and challenging yourself should be what is encouraged. Compliment that sentiment with dying to no fault of your own, especially when you drop into a bad situation. World height/coding bugs. Dropping off your mount at the serpent cliffs in Jade Forest might mean a required spirit rez because there is no spirit mount, and you cannot count on getting lucky to fall on the same spot after swimming and running for 15 minutes ... nor guaranteed to even find a way to your corpse. A bug dropping you in a pack of mobs from a similar game bug, corpse running to die and wasting an hour to get out of the situation (rare, admittedly). Stumbling into a high level area you shouldn't be in, because nothing has respawned, and find yourself stuck in a situation similar to previous ... there are countless ways that you could legitimately use a honest spirit rez; moreso for new players to the game you want to encourage staying, encourage challenging themselves to encourage them learning more mechanics and abilities to be better players in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    So here's my story. I play on the horde and during the bonfire event (where you burned the giant strawman) some alliance were coming and killing people (PvE server) that were flagged and harassing. So anyway, past the orb that takes you to silver moon there is a little courtyard that is walled off and you can't get to it. They camped out in there so I flew in and attacked because I was bored and world PvP can be fun. Well they killed me and it was physically IMPOSSIBLE to get to my body. Thankfully some guy from another realm found me and rezzed me after about 5 minutes of asking for help. What did this do? Well, I for one will never participate in world PvP again. So rather than just provide a ghost mount which wouldn't hurt anything at all the game lost a world PvPer instead. Good thing this outdated pointless system is still around, am I right?!

It's stupid tiny things like this that cause people to stop playing the game and with dwindling sub numbers maybe making these simply QoL changes would help. I mean they certainly couldn't hurt. We already have an incentive to not die, it's called durability loss and time loss. Why do we need an additional penalty on top of that? We don't.
    This. Increase the gold cost penalty ten fold for using the spirit healer; just drop the sickness. No one (realisitically) is asking for no or minimal penalties, they are simply asking for an outdated mechanic that was a nicer version of death 10 years ago to be brought up to a respectable level for current times and status of games.

If you really want death to be 'hardcore', ask Blizz to make a hardcore server where your gear is -destroyed- upon death, you cannot spirit rez, you lose a level and half/all your gold. Want to play hardball, do it right.

I went trough the world because of bad game design that allows feared player toons to run trough walls. Now I'm falling into eternity (or my corpse is). I can't walk trough walls as a ghost(Whats up with that?) And I can't recover my corpse in any other way.
    Why should I be punished because of a design flaw?
    That sort of situation is such an anomaly that it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the discussion. Corpse-camping is an entirely separate issue from rez sickness.

People whining about rez sickness are whining about being penalized for receiving an instant rez, and that's absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rez sickness is meant as a cost of convenience, and a deterrent of exploiting situations (mostly on PvP servers, even bg's have a rez timer for a reason).

Lol I think the last time I got res sickness on any of my characters was back just after hitting 70 in TBC and accidentally hitting my mount hotkey while flying over the mountains in Blade's Edge. It's not an issue if you just pay attention to where you're going (outside of the occasional glitch of course).